update AH went to a psych institute for 12 days

Old 07-07-2009, 06:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

update AH went to a psych institute for 12 days

My ah commited himself after almost losing his job. They have diagnosed him with being bipolar and alcohol dependency. He is now on lots of phsyc meds and still thinks he can drink. Came home yesterday and had 1 or 2 beers. Not quite sure what will happen as I am feeling scared. Says if he gets his anger under control he will not need the alcohol as much. Taking it day by day.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
once in a . . .

taking it day by day is a GOOD thing and if that gets to be too much, take it an hour at a time

it sounds like a positive step that your AH committed himself - that he's beginning to realize maybe he needs help -

I know it's got to be a confusing time right now, just be gentle with yourself and hang in there - maybe consider an Al-anon mtg for yourself to help with the fear and uncertainty you're feeling

oh - and welcome to Sober Recovery, you've found a good and caring place!

Blue
Old 07-07-2009, 11:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hi rover-

meds + drink + anger issues + physical violence = trouble with a capital T.

is he in AA? are you in alanon?

you might at some point need to make a quick exit with the kids. do you have a plan? some women in this situation pack an emergancy bag, with essentials and some cash and put it at a friends house, just in case.

i know, why should you and the kids leave, he's the one with the drinking problem, but at the end of the day, you might feel more at ease if you have a plan, just in case something goes down.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your advise. It really helps put things into perspective. No he is not in AA because he feels he doesn't have a drinking problem that it was all his mental issues. i am not in al anon. i am preparing a plan because i think deep down i know what is coming. will keep you all posted.