Notices

Introducing myself...

Old 07-07-2009, 05:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Introducing myself...

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to say hello. I am new to the forum and am looking forward to talking with everyone. I have been reading this forum the past few days and decided that I should contribute.
Recently, I had a two week long period where I did not drink at all. Like many of you have said, it felt like I found myself. The real me. I felt like I hadn't felt in years. Then, I decided I could have ONE drink. You all know how that turned out. Right back to drinking myself to sleep every night. I have no clue what time I went to bed last night because I do not remember. I woke up this morning still reeking of liquor and dragged my red-eyed unshaven ass to work where I felt like crap all day. I had a bad case of the shakes and my anxiety is really bad. This is the first time I have ever admitted to anyone that my drinking is definitely an issue. Alcoholism runs strong in my family and I have almost lost an uncle because of it. Numerous times we have picked him up from the hospital or jail. I can't ever let that happen to myself. It needs to stop now. Actually it needed to stop a long time ago. I am still fairly young and I already find myself wishing I had not given the weeks/months away to the bottle. I have a lot of potential and I need to get on the right track. Thanks for reading.....I take my first step......
Old 07-07-2009, 05:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on your decision to get sober!

Last edited by littlebluedog; 07-07-2009 at 05:47 AM. Reason: wrong emoticon
Old 07-07-2009, 05:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Welcome to SR Catfish. It takes awhile for us to learn that its the FIRST drink that gets us drunk. You have admitted you are powerless, that's a good start. Do you go to AA meetings? I find that they really help me, I try to go to 2 a day. I will go to any lengths to stay sober. Good luck with your sobriety and keep posting. There are many people here with a lot of wisdom and will help you in your journey.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Welcome to SR, Catfish.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome! You are not alone!
Old 07-07-2009, 05:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
jimbo

welcome friend

the end to your nightmare is at hand
Old 07-07-2009, 05:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
mergirl

Welcome=) I am 6 months in, and quitting booze was a really good decision for me.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. It is good to finally admit it to someone even if you are all just imaginary internet friends (KIDDING!) I hope I can help some of you as well.....I am going to take today off to recover from one of my heavier sessions of drinking last night. Then tomorrow I will start going to the gym again after work instead of coming home and getting a drink. Keeping busy is KEY!!
Old 07-07-2009, 06:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Catfish,

Welcome!

I'm glad you decided to join us.

For me, balance is the key.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
JJB

Hi Catfish

Welcome to SR -there are some great people here who'll be able to help you and give advice.
I'm not one of the experts but I find that even just the fact of posting here helps me in my recovery and you're right physical fitness helps a lot too.
Like you said we all help each other.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR and congrats on your decision to get and stay sober. Not drinking will eliminate a lot of problems and will lead to a better healthier life. Welcome!:ghug
Old 07-07-2009, 06:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR!
Old 07-07-2009, 07:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome catfish- You are right on target . It is that FIRST drink that will take you back down the road to ruin. It has taken me a long time to realize that but i'ts true. I also think you have the right idea about staying busy, it is a key issue for me, if I'm not doing something the temptation to drink is greatly increasrd. You are moving in the right direction, keep it up! Keep reading and posting on SR- try AA meetings, keep working in a positive direction, you can make it!
" It's A proven fact, in the right formation,The Lifting Power of many wings can achieve Twice the distance than any one bird flying alone!"
Old 07-07-2009, 07:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, you can find lots of support and encouragement here.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Old 07-07-2009, 07:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome, Catfish! Glad you've joined us.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome
Old 07-07-2009, 09:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Hello and welcome to the SR community.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi there, just wanted to say and Welcome =)
Old 07-07-2009, 09:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome Catfish. Posting here is a great first step. There are others that many alcoholics find it necessary to take.

Originally Posted by Catfish83 View Post
Recently, I had a two week long period where I did not drink at all. Like many of you have said, it felt like I found myself. The real me. I felt like I hadn't felt in years
I always raise an eyebrow at statements like this. The only time I ever felt like that when not drinking is when the abstinance was fleeting. Like some kind of fantasy game. I've observed it in enough other people to think it's very common.

It's easy to sit back on the sidelines and listen to people say how wonderful this new sobriety is, how their life is so much better, how they are really feeling something different, and all the while waiting for it to crumble.

If you are an alcoholic and feeling this way with a couple of weeks away from a drink, be careful. Be very careful.

Getting and staying sober is not easy. It may require some serious upheaval in life long beliefs and perceptions of the world. That kind of stuff is bound to be uncomfortable. If you're not feeling uncomfortable, and you're an alcoholic without a drink, I'd urge caution.

I'm sure others have had these magical wonderful, everything is great from day one experiences, but I see enough of that false hope right here on this forum to be little distrustful of it.