Wisdom of the Rooms

Old 07-07-2009, 04:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Wisdom of the Rooms

July 6, 2009
Quote of the Week

"Friends are God's apology for your relatives."

When I was new I had very few healthy boundaries, and I especially had little defense against the observations, suggestions, judgments and criticisms of my family members. Someone once said that your relatives know how to push your buttons because they were the ones that put them there. I quickly found out how true that was.

At first my reaction was to try to explain what recovery was, how the meetings worked and why I needed them. After that didn't work, I severely limited my contact and involvement with them and instead focused on the new friends I was meeting in the rooms. What a blessing not to have to travel the road alone, and the bonds I formed literally saved my life.

As the years passed and I discovered a sense of who I really was, I began to reengage with my relatives and found that while I had changed, they basically had remained the same. Accepting the limits of those relationships was hard at first, but over time the unconditional love and understanding of my new family of friends helped provide me with the close connections I had always craved.

Today I am learning to improve my relationships with my relatives, and my friends are showing me how.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's so very true. I just shared an email with all of my girlfriends. I did send one on the side to my sister because she's my sis, love her. However my friends right now are my biggest support system. Them and this site. So true. I've seen so many people fight to have a relationship with family that just doesn't act like "family" and I know it hurts. Sometimes they really are more harm then good. Some of grew up with the dysfunction of living with them and you're right, some people just don't change. But we do.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for posting this Believe808. I really needed this right now.

Yesterday was the first day that I had spoken to my husband in 6days, and heard my self say out loud that "I am an alcoholic".
But I'm finding while I have finally arrived in acceptance, I am finding tons of emotion to deal with. But my husband thinks I'm still the same person like I was last week before the can of worms were open. I guess what I'm trying to say here is, I need to start going to meetings. I need to surround myself with people who I can relate with, who can teach me.

Thanks again
Liz

Last edited by happy2balive; 07-07-2009 at 07:56 AM. Reason: reword
Old 07-07-2009, 08:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

I need to surround myself with people who I can relate with, who can teach me.
I have surrounded myself with people in the rooms and I find that this really helps me. For the first time I don't feel like I am alone. AA has been a life saver for me and it can for you too.