At the most unexpected time, in the most unexpected way...

Old 08-29-2003, 09:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Learning to love life...

At the most unexpected time, in the most unexpected way...

Hi guys

I haven't had much "new" to report lately, but a funny thing happened today, and I wanted to share.. Is it "show and tell" day??

There has been 2 sets of new neighbors that have taken residence on our street in the past few months; they moved from the same area, and were friends in the town they moved from. It really IS a coincidence that they moved here within just a few houses of each other.

Anyhow, I was thrilled when they arrived because both families have 2 children each, and are all the same ages as my two boys (2 and 6 yrs old) - so its been a regular "playground" in my neck of the woods .

I posted a while back about how I was scared / worried / shocked that one of the Dad's of these 2 families was an A etc... it all has turned out fine with NO probs whatsoever. But today the mom of the OTHER family came by my house to gather up her 2 year old (they all take turns playing at each others houses), and we began a casual conversation. I was not prepared for it, but it turned into a genuine heart to heart from one codependant wife of an Alcoholic to another.

Of course, I never would have guessed that our lives have so many similarities, or that her husband is an A also (not that I needed to "pry" anyway). It was one of those conversations where you say "yup, I know Exactly what you mean" and "I've been there too"... except that HER life is where MY life was about 2 years ago. Her husband is not an ADMITTED A, and she is not searching out any recovery for herself. I sensed that she was scared... but also tired and frustrated. I WANTED to tell her all the things she was doing wrong - OH, how codependant of me . But I recognized that it is not my place, and I certainly cannot go around preaching and attempting to save lives. I guess I just wanted so bad to help her "see" what I see now!

So, in the end, I just told her of what I have been thru; what my husband has been thru and about his new attempt at recovery... and a few things I've learned about myself, and this disease of addiction. I truly felt that she "saw" something in my eyes; perhaps a peace of mind, a contentment, some healing. Whatever it was, it drew us closer as neighbors. I told her that if she ever felt like coming to a meeting, that I was always free on Wednesday night, and I left it that.

Perhaps my HP was working his magic on me today - I got a chance to speak of my strength, and renew my faith in my program. It felt wonderful.

Just wanted to share - thanks guys...
Meg
Old 08-29-2003, 10:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The Lord works in mysterious ways Meg!

I believe that your neighbors moving there was all apart of his plan. It is amazing how many people have similar situations in your neighborhood and workplace. So glad you have gotten closer to your neighbor, and yes helped her.

Thanks for sharing,
matters
Old 08-30-2003, 04:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
believer

Hi Meg,

What a blessing you are to your neighbor! I'm sure she felt better just opening up to you than she had in a long time. I don't believe in coincidences, and seeing how things are evolving, you were obviously put in your neighbor's path for a reason.

Good for you for sharing your story with her.

Hugs,
JG
Old 08-30-2003, 05:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Hi Meg

I agree that there are no "coincidences" and that you two were put in each other's path for a reason.

You have provided her with the information, and seeing what you have will attract her to do more when she is ready.

I'll bet she is so happy to have you for a neighbour.

Hugs
Ann
Old 08-30-2003, 05:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Meg,

I remember the post when they moved in and your concern.
I am glad that you were able to share your experience to help her along. That HP plan always has it's way of working!!!!

I know that it made you feel good to be able to share with her what you and your husband have been through and I am sure that it will be a tremendous help for her. What a blessing for her that she has you as a neighbor!

Take Care,
Constant
Old 08-30-2003, 05:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((((Meg))))))

Wow! This is definitely a part of "the Big Plan"! Sure do wish I'd have had a neighbor like you to talk to 2 years ago!

Lyn
Old 08-30-2003, 01:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What you said to her was great. It's a good feeling when you can help someone else out and not be preachy (?spelling?).

When things were getting really rough with my husband, my sister-in-law (his sister) hooked me up with a friend of hers whose husband was in recovery. Well, it helped to hear what she was going through. She reacted to his drinking completely different that I was reacting to my husband (she was far from codependent). Talking with her made me stronger (and we only spoke 2 times).

It's nice to have someone to talk to. It's good for both of you.

NoDoubt
Old 09-01-2003, 03:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Meg..
YOu sure did come a long way...
Congrads to you...
Hugs Clowie
Old 09-01-2003, 07:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow...what a blessing to have crossed paths with someone who you feel akin to in spirit and whom maybe, you can be a support to as well.

I long to find someone that can really understand me, outside of my al-anon group. I haven't really met anyone there yet whom I feel comfortable enough with to actually talk on the phone with or anything, although they are all very nice people.
I hope you and this new person can continue talking and sharing and maybe bring some light into each others lives.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Learning to love life...

Thanks so much guys,
I DO feel like I found a person that I relate to.
Most of all, I suddenly felt like it's not such a big bad world after all

And LST...
If you ever wanna come visit I'm sure we could have some great chats...

Take care guys
Meg