Many Picnics ruined today!

Old 07-04-2009, 01:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Many Picnics ruined today!

WOW, Happy 4th of July to all!

This will be my 3rd "4th" without my AH! Such a relief not to have to deal with him and all the junk! Family picnics were a disaster, he always got drunk. He never wanted to go to see the fireworks display, so I always went without him and took the kids.

In the last few years, I haven't had the baggage to deal with. I don't have to spend the holiday walking on eggs. I don't have to worry about him blowing himself and the kids up with the fireworks (lighting them while drunk).

Now, this is independence day!

I hope you all have a great 4th of July!
Old 07-04-2009, 02:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by Trying2survive View Post
WOW, Happy 4th of July to all!

This will be my 3rd "4th" without my AH! Such a relief not to have to deal with him and all the junk! Family picnics were a disaster, he always got drunk. He never wanted to go to see the fireworks display, so I always went without him and took the kids.

In the last few years, I haven't had the baggage to deal with. I don't have to spend the holiday walking on eggs. I don't have to worry about him blowing himself and the kids up with the fireworks (lighting them while drunk).

Now, this is independence day!

I hope you all have a great 4th of July!

Hi,

My father is an alcoholic, and the holidays with him used to be terrible. I was always worried what he would do or say if I did or said something he didn't like. He has calmed down in his old age now, but those days were horrible.

Isn't it great? The peace of mind you and your kids have now.

Happy 4th
Old 07-04-2009, 03:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awakening

Originally Posted by Trying2survive View Post
This will be my 3rd "4th" without my AH! Such a relief not to have to deal with him and all the junk!
This is my third w/o axw as well.

"I" would ruin all the holidays every year because "my" anxiety level about the no-holds-barred-drunkfests would always overwhelm me and every time I would attempt to control what, I now know, was impossibly out of my control. I was insane.

I had residual anxiety every holiday even after after our split for a couple of years. Friday I was at a meeting and it occurred to me I had "zero" anxiety.....finally. Yea for us! It really does give an added meaning to "Independence Day".

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

I went to a family gathering today, no worries about anything at all. None. No one even asked about my AH (kinda pathetic I guess, in retrospect) but I wasn't even worried about if they did.

It was just relaxed and fun.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

I had the best time tonight at fireworks. No alcoholics or drug addicts to deal with any more!
It really is and independence day!
Old 07-04-2009, 10:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

We had a good day. AH drank (snuck around and did it) but not drunk.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

My family is sober now and I get what your saying. Fireworks lit in all directions...people running to get away and the sadistic laughing by my AFM as the fireworks spread all about... was unnerving and very dangerous to say the least.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ABF just came in wasted after two months dry. Just goes to show that not drinking alone is not enough. I hope I will keep up the nerve to make it my personal independence day tomorrow by following through and kicking him out...:codiepolice:

Still, it's good to hear that you had a good independence day!
Old 07-04-2009, 11:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by Kimmieh View Post
ABF just came in wasted after two months dry. Just goes to show that not drinking alone is not enough. I hope I will keep up the nerve to make it my personal independence day tomorrow by following through and kicking him out...:codiepolice:

Still, it's good to hear that you had a good independence day!
I hope you follow trough with your independence day. Its time to be liberated from the alcoholic madness that is not of your fault. Let freedom ring.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
mergirl

I never want to spend another holiday begging the police to not take my H to jail, or cleaning puke off the rug, or hiding under a parked car while he looks for me.

Remembering all of those holidays, its really not surprising that even when he got sober there wasn't a marriage left to work on.

I hope you find you happy holidays soon Kimmieh.