Notices

Happy 4th!! Update on brother's cookout!

Old 07-04-2009, 07:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Beating this demon for GOOD

Happy 4th!! Update on brother's cookout!

Good morning everyone and Happy 4th of July!!!! I hope today finds you all safe and well.

As I've posted recently, my brother was having a cookout at his home and invited hubby and myself for food, conversation, fireworks, etc. I was a bit nervous, as I am on day 23 of sobriety today, but we went. This after my brother had called and asked me outright if I was drinking again. When I said no, he had told me that had I been, he would have asked me not to come, as he had a number of people that report to him coming (he's a manager at his job) and their spouses/family. I totally understood, and was not offended. I can only imagine how obnoxious I could be when I WAS actively drinking, it was noticed by everyone else, and as is typical in our situations, I seemingly was the last one to wake up and finally realize how deep my problem ran. Before that, I would show up already buzzed, drink to excess and find some way to embarrass the host by my words and/or actions. So I don't blame my brother for being so honest in asking me that question and/or feeling that way.

Well, it went wonderfully!!! I brought some O'Douls, ate very well (tons of food! Every kind you can imagine!), spent some quality time with my godchild (13 year old niece) and my nephews, and very much enjoyed meeting my brother's co-workers and seeing old friends and enjoying my family. Such a great time!! It was interesting to me that a friend of my brothers, whom I have known for years, had been drinking heavily, and although he was trying to joke around with me, I was actually almost feeling sorry for him in a way, he was that drunk (and he had his three children with him). I so hope he decided not to drive that way! I find that I am much less tolerant of trying to have a conversation with someone who has been drinking to excess than before, and tend now to gravitate towards folks who drink light or not at all. We have much more interesting and fun conversations. And it always pleases me to see that I am not the only adult who chooses not to drink.

So at any rate, just wanted to share! Hubby and I had a wonderful time, had a lot of laughs, and the fireworks were really something! If I had one complaint (and it's small), it would be the dang mosquitos that came out when it was dark!!! Even WITH bug spray!!! lol!!!!
Old 07-04-2009, 07:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post!!! I am so proud of you! What a testimony to everyone at the party.

T.

A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy 4th of July to all my wonderful American friends!

Old 07-04-2009, 08:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you and so glad you had a good time. Hate those mosquitos!!!! Grrrrrrrrrr!!!
Old 07-04-2009, 08:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Resident

Good for you. I am sure your brother is proud of you------ and relieved.

It IS amazing how the things we found funny and interesting when we were drinking we find annoying and stupid when we are sober.
I sometimes wonder how many people felt sorry for me when I was loaded somewhere and most of the others were mostly sober.
Keep at it.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great Job Newtosoberlivin I have experienced a lot of the same things recently. I thought I was the life of the party but I am now wondering what people were saying about me out of earshot (when I was wasted/drunk).

Oh well... I can only deal with today today! Thanks for sharing your story.

NB
Old 07-04-2009, 10:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing that and good job, Newtosoberlivin. It helped me to read this today.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey - just wanted to tell you that you're a real inspiration to me. You're doing so well and I'm really happy for you!

I've followed your posts from the start and I really appreciate where you are now compared to your first post. I don't know how you've done it, but you are doing a great job.

Thanks for sharing & I look forward to reading more posts from you.

Happy 4th!

C
Old 07-04-2009, 03:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow... way to go! I'm so glad you had so much fun and it was really inspiring to hear you weren't offended when he laid things out on the table. It really gives me hope that I can stand up for myself with the addict in my life and still be able to have a relationship with her.

I hope you continue to have many wonderful family gatherings and that this is the first of many of those.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's great news! Isn't it amazing when you realize that parties are a chance for people to laugh and have a good time and not just get wasted?

Happy 4th!
Old 07-05-2009, 07:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Beating this demon for GOOD

thanks to everyone!!!

Life is so different and wonderful now, I can't even count all of the ways!

Booze was just foolish and to be honest, I can't even stand the smell of it these days, it turns my stomach. I can't imagine that used to be ME that had that smelly breath, that loud mouth, that obnoxious demeanor, all the time! What a sight I must have been (shudders).

It's so good to know that I am finally a "grown up", lol! I not only hurt myself with my drinking, I hurt everyone that I love dearly, none of them deserved it. But I am making amends to all of them as best that I can these days. I am also trying to easy on myself. Booze to me is like the devil's brew, and I will forever view it that way, "FOR MYSELF." For a lot of others it is not, for me it is simply POISON. To ever do it again would be like giving a loved one a vial of poison and then hoping someone else will die from drinking it. No wonder people talk about "stinking thinking" all of the time! I so clearly understand what that means now!!!

Hugs and blessings to all of you on here, I love these boards!!! And all of you! Stay strong, you are all worth it!!!