Notices

My biggest trigger!!!

Old 07-04-2009, 04:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy My biggest trigger!!!

Good Morning everyone,

Happy 4th, I have 58 days clean today and I am having a bit of a problem with the weight that I have gained..............I'm disgusted w/ myself that usually is a big trigger for me to use I don't feel good about myself at all......I'm not sure what I can do about it I just wish this could be easier but by the grace of god I have not picked up..........and I know it's not the answer yea sure I will loose some weight but hell I did'nt eat ever the smell of food made me sick I have gained about 15-20 pounds since I got home from rehab and I hate it......so if anyone is going through this or has I would love to hear some feedback..........Enjoy another sober day............it is what it is!!!!

Old 07-04-2009, 05:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

It's simply going to take time for you to be where you want to be.
Start with eating healthy foods in small ammounts
and swimming ...walking daily.

Congratulations on chooseing a better future...
Old 07-04-2009, 06:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober time. The weight will come off. I have recently set my mind to losing weight and have dropped 10 pounds. I have been sober for over a year and it finally bothered me enough to do something about it. One thing at a time my dear.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

My biggest recovery tool... fitness...?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-sobriety.html
Old 07-04-2009, 06:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Maybe consider evaluating your strong emotions towards the weight gain. If someone you loved had gained 15-20 pounds, would you think they were 'disgusting'? Why does 15-20 pounds make you disgusting? The size of the heart is much more important than the size of the buns, ya know? If you could find a way to accept and love yourself because of who you are, and not evaluate your worth with the help of a scale, perhaps you could feel better about yourself.

If you don't feel good about yourself, it becomes much more difficult to take good care of yourself. And you become trapped in a loop.

Sometimes, when I get trapped in that negative loop, I start asking myself how I would treat someone I love dearly. For me, it's my sister. So I ask myself, 'would I love my sister any less if she were in this condition?' Answer, 'no!' Ok, so, 'how would I treat my sister if she were in this condition?' Answer, 'I would...'

And then I do that for myself.

Hope this makes sense! Congrats on 58 days! That is a wonderful accomplishment. I hope you can celebrate that and be gentle with yourself!

Last edited by Chamabama; 07-04-2009 at 06:26 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-04-2009, 06:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chamabama View Post
Sometimes, when I get trapped in that negative loop, I start asking myself how I would treat someone I love dearly. For me, it's my sister. So I ask myself, 'would I love my sister any less if she were in this condition?' Answer, 'no!' Ok, so, 'how would I treat my sister if she were in this condition?' Answer, 'I would...'

And then I do that for myself.

Hope this makes sense! Congrats on 58 days! That is a wonderful accomplishment. I hope you can celebrate that and be gentle with yourself!
I LOVE THAT!!!!! I had a friend who was talking about some situations she was in and she used her kids. "Would I make my kids do that? Let them do that? Put them in that situation? Do they deserve that?" That made so much sense to me. If it's good enough for my kids, or bad enough, depending on the situation, then how should I or could I be any less than that?

Be good to yourself, you do deserve to feel proud. One step at a time. Get through the first and then the next and so on. :ghug3
Old 07-04-2009, 07:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I agree with Carol. Go slow, eat healthy small meals, do some walking, or swimming and don't drink.

When I found recovery, I was about 25 pounds overweight. I probably gained an additional 40 or so pounds, until my body finally caught up with my new way of living, By the time I was about 9 months sober I was 10 pounds away from my 'ideal' weight and by a year I was my 'ideal' weight. Remained that way a long time in recovery until Diabetes set in, lol

So, the weight is not a given, it will come off. Your body is STILL HEALING from abuse.

Congrats on your sober time. It does get better and better.

Have a safe holiday!

Love and hugs,
Old 07-04-2009, 07:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
mergirl

Drinking and drugging mess with your metabolism among other things. When we are loaded, we either don't eat, eat at irregular intervals, or binge on unhealthy snacks. I used meth and quit 14 years before I quit drinking, and I am still "paying the price". For me, the weight was ok as long as it came with get off the dope, and drinking heavily for the last 14 years put on plenty

2 years ago I joined weight watchers online and followed the no point counting diet, and lost my first 50.

I have been sober 6 months. Fitness routines, aerobic exercise, and eating healthy have been a HUGE factor in my success in staying sober. Speed walking and swimming are enormous stress relievers.

When I look at me now, I see a work in progress. I am older than I remember getting. I have slightly crooked teeth and am heavier than I care to be. But I love the new direction my life has taken, and that means everything to me.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by Desiree827 View Post
Good Morning everyone,

Happy 4th, I have 58 days clean today and I am having a bit of a problem with the weight that I have gained..............I'm disgusted w/ myself that usually is a big trigger for me to use I don't feel good about myself at all......I'm not sure what I can do about it I just wish this could be easier but by the grace of god I have not picked up..........and I know it's not the answer yea sure I will loose some weight but hell I did'nt eat ever the smell of food made me sick I have gained about 15-20 pounds since I got home from rehab and I hate it......so if anyone is going through this or has I would love to hear some feedback..........Enjoy another sober day............it is what it is!!!!

Hi Desiree,

Theres plenty you can do about it

I've struggled with my weight all my life. I used to hate excercise and dieting. Now I love working out. If you don't want to jump right into excercise, start by watching what you eat, then slowly progress into some light cardio, (i.e. walking, biking). Everything takes some time though, so patience is key here.

There are TONS of low fat recipes that really are delicious. You don't have to give up taste and flavor when trying to shed lbs. If you take the time and follow the recipes and buy quality ingredients, you can actually enjoy what you eat while losing weight. I have a link to a really great website with lots of low-fat recipes if you'd like. Green tea is also good for weight loss, so start sipping on that

It can be a vicious cycle when you don't like what you see in the mirror and start thinking "What good is it?, I look and feel like sh*t anyway, so I might as well drink/use." That has happened to me in the past and that thought process has to be broken. It's hard but it can be done.

Also, on a side note, when you do decide you want to start working out, try something fun, like a dance class. You will be getting in shape and you will also be distracted by having fun at the same time.