Notices

End of day 1...can't sleep

Old 07-04-2009, 12:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

End of day 1...can't sleep

I can't sleep...is this normal? I am so happy that I went without drinking today! I can not remember the last time I went a day without a drink. (It's been years!) I am happy, but, at the same time I feel overwhelmed with regret. Regret from all the wasted years drinking. I want to make it up to everyone (God, my friends, family, ex hubby, and especially my kids) for not being the person I should have been. I have always been an "at home" drinker. I always made dinner, kept a clean house, supported the family, etc. I was just always buzzed (i.e. obnoxious ). I feel ashamed. I'm sure people around me knew it, but just kept quiet. I worry about the damage I've inflicted upon my children. How do you forgive yourself for being such a selfish person?

Okay... I'm done whining! Now it's time to pick myself up by my bootstraps and realize that those are the lies that try to keep me in bondage. God is bigger than that... He's powerful where I am powerless. I will trust Him and stand in the knowledge that He is loving, forgiving, and more than capable of healing me and restoring me to the whole person He intended me to be.

Good night SR.

Thanks for listening.

T.

A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Unfortunately... yes, it can be tough getting to sleep after quitting drinking. You have been adding all sorts of chemicals including alcohol into your system for a long time. Its going to take a while to re adjust.

A great read to help you understand whats going on is:\http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

It may just help you sleep ;-)

Congrats on your decision to have a new life.

Take Care,

NB
Old 07-04-2009, 06:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"Okay... I'm done whining! Now it's time to pick myself up by my bootstraps and realize that those are the lies that try to keep me in bondage. God is bigger than that... He's powerful where I am powerless. I will trust Him and stand in the knowledge that He is loving, forgiving, and more than capable of healing me and restoring me to the whole person He intended me to be."

Amen! So glad to have seen this paragraph at the end of your post. The good night's sleep will happen. Maybe try some melatonin until then.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sleep problems are almost a given at first. There's a great sticky in the alcoholism forum that was helpful for me in terms of what to expect. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Congrats on day 1!
Old 07-04-2009, 07:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi there, I just want to say that I had very broken up sleep this first week of giving up drinking. Still, it was better than drunken sleep!

However, last night, was Day 6 for me, and I slept better than I have in ages. Very deep productive sleep, awesome meaningful dreams, etc. So maybe it takes 5-6 days to get to this. Something to look forward to, Ready2Live!

And don't beat yourself up for what you've done. Just think about what you can do for your kids, your family and yourself going forward. I did some stupid things while drunk and I'm sure not happy about them, but my kids still love me and need me and I'm here for them now.

Take care.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for your kind words, hopeful999. I know my kids love me very much...their need for me is what helped be to put the bottle down. It feels great to know I'm not alone in this plight. I look forward to walking this road to recovery with you.

T.

A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi T!!! Hang in there!!! I am on day 6 and my sleep is all over the place...I slept a good 6 hours straight last night and I am hoping it starts leveling out soon. Great job on day 1!!!!! AWESOME!

~Reb
Old 07-04-2009, 09:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm on day 32 being sober and the first week or so sleeping was an issue. I tried to be really active during the day so when I laid down I was totally exhausted. It helped me a little.
It will get better.
Congrats