Notices

Sugar Cravings..

Old 07-02-2009, 10:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sugar Cravings..

I am a month sober 2day and have gone thru an incredible phase of pigging out on sugar. Im sure this is normal. Has anyone else had this after quitting booze and how often does this happen?

P:S Many thanks for all the support and answers Ive got over the last month.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi. I experienced sugar cravings in the beginning. I was a wine drinking and that has a lot of sugar. I am sure I was replacing the sugar from the wine with the sugar I was getting from other stuff after I quit. It will pass.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You will find a lot of info on the net if you Google
hypoglycemia and alcoholism.

Ask your doctor if following an eating plan for hypoglycemia
if something for you to do.

I did for about 6 months with good results.

Well done on your sober time
Old 07-02-2009, 11:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I realized, after being alcoholic, that my sugar cravings contributed to my addiction. I always had huge sugar cravings. I was never overweight, so didn't think about much. Then, in early recovery, I began reading and realized that the sugar in alcohol played right into my sugar cravings and helped nudge me into addiction.

And, yes, I still have sugar cravings.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

a rather high percentage of alcoholics are sugar/food addicts.

food addiction/disorders are generally not discussed, acknowledged & understood very well.

might consider this simple question: do you ever eat emotionally?
Old 07-02-2009, 11:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No i never eat emotionally. I do buy useless stuff to cheer myself up sometimes. Wasnt in a bad mood to day or yesterday, but I ate like a pig. Ice cream, biscuits, chocolate, sprite.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi. I craved sugar a bit, but it subsided after 2 or 3 weeks. Now it's not so much that I crave them, but I do enjoy sweets. When I was drinking I had no interest in them.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Eddie, I think there is something to this for sure. I think my cravings for wine were, in part, triggered by dipping blood sugar levels in the late afternoon. Part of my recovery is now recognizing that, and before I can even start craving wine, pour myself a glass of soda (usually diet) and a snack. It is all part of "re-training" myself not to drink. And I have been eating more chocolate, too. Well, we don't want to trade one addiction for another, but don't beat yourself up too much for one night of that. I think it time, it will work itself out. And congrats on the one month. I hoping to make it to one week and am getting close.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Oh yeah, Eddie - definitely in my case. I never even had much of a sweet tooth, but after quitting my beer habit I craved chocolate, ice cream, anything sweet - put jelly on toast when I never did before - crazy stuff, & it was uncontrollable. It took me quite a few months to get off that kick. My favorite new addiction was Tootsie Roll Pops - I could kill the sugar craving AND it gave me something to do other than suck down suds. I never knew it was typical until I read it here. Hope it passes and you feel normal again soon.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Heathen

I did for the first week or so, then I realized I started getting a little addicted to the sugar, so I weaned myself off and eat very healthy now
Old 07-02-2009, 05:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Beating this demon for GOOD

Oh man, yes!

BIGTIME!!! I crave everything sweet now!! My drink of choice was beer, and now that I don't drink anymore, I crave sweets all the time, but try to be aware of amounts, or I will gain weight and don't want to!

But I find that eating Ritz crackers with cottage cheese is a good substitute, it's filling and very low in fat, as well as wheat thins, and they are healthier. That being said, I do indulge in a bit of chocolate (hubby is addicted to Reese's peanut butter cups, and I have found them to be a weakness for me too!) and I also love the occasional pack of cashews (protein is good) or smoked almonds.

Popcorn with a bit of butter is also a good snack that's healthier and lower in fat so you can eat it without the guilt!

Sorry to get so off track, but I agree with the other posters, I think this is a very normal thing when you quit, I had absolutely NO desire for sweets when I drank.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
mergirl

I crave sweets way more now, and I am 6 months in. Part of it for me, is that it all just tastes so much better now! I drink 2 super sweet diet sodas a day (diet black cherry is sick-sweet, yum). I have never in my life been a desert eater, but I have a bowl of light ice cream, or fat free, sugar free pudding (tonight's was white chocolate). My latest after work delight is 50% coffee, 50% light soy milk and a squirt of sugar free vanilla or caramel syrup on ice.

I maintain an insanely good diet, so adding in the "treats" won't kill me=)
Old 07-02-2009, 07:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i had to really watch the sugar...ok well i am diabetic so it's dumb to eat tons of it, but that never stoped me...

and i have found that if i eat alot of sugar when i come down off it i am very suseptable to ALCHOHOL cravings....so for me there is a connection...

In fact a sugar craving and and an alchohol craving are basicall indistinguishable to me in teh symptoms and the effect on my emotions and stuff.

So... i recomend that if sugar is eaten, it be followed up with "real" food so that there isn't that big crash at the end....

an important thing for me to remember especially in that first month with cravings being so hard.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Totally, ice cream cravings are killing me lol. I had a large chocolate dipped cone from Dairy Queen last night & it was awesome. I am sure that it has less calories than the 12 pack of beer plus bad drinking food the day of & of course the day after as well.

OK not sure on the calories so I will go check... runs off to search.

DQ Dipped Cone

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 small cone (156.0 g)
Amount Per Serving
Calories

Calories from Fat
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
17.0g
26%
Saturated Fat
9.0g
45%
Cholesterol
20mg
7%
Sodium
130mg
5%
Total Carbohydrates
42.0g
14%
Dietary Fiber
1.0g
4%
Sugars
31.0g
Protein
6.0g
Vitamin A 10% • Vitamin C 2%
Calcium 20% • Iron 6%
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

---
Regular Beer (153 calories x 12 = 1,836 calories)
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size
Amount Per Serving
Calories

Calories from Fat
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
0.0g
0%
Saturated Fat
0.0g
0%
Cholesterol
0mg
0%
Sodium
14mg
1%
Total Carbohydrates
12.6g
4%
Protein
1.6g
Vitamin A 0% • Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 1% • Iron 0%

----------

Muhahahaha I feel so much better about my dipped cone \/

Regular Beer (153 calories x 12 = 1,836 calories)

Calories in Dairy Queen - Dipped Cone

Calories in Beer, Regular
Old 07-03-2009, 01:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

yes the ice cream is a serious easy option for me over the last week. I ate a huge amount of it yesterday, its not like me to do that!