Notices

can it get worse?

Old 07-02-2009, 10:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

can it get worse?

I'm on day 5 without alcohol now and I still don't feel good. The first day I was really bad, couldn't walk and had cramps. Now I still have cramps but not as bad, and I feel like vomiting all the time and just really really weird....
But the question is, could it get worse or is the worst part over?

I don't know anything about this stuff, I actually didn't even realise that I was actually so addicted untill now...
Old 07-02-2009, 10:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

For me, the worst physical part of detox was over in the first few days, a week at most, so you may be done with the worst of it. Yes, it's a nasty substance to withdraw from! And if you don't drink again, you don't have to go thru this again!
Old 07-02-2009, 10:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The worst part is over but to answer your question YES it can if u choose to pick up again..............the next time it will be harder this disease will only progress if u let it!!!

Congrats on your 5 days!!!! It will get better I have 56 days and everyday it gets better only worry about today............one day at a time!!!!!!!
Old 07-02-2009, 10:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope the worst is over, but you should check with your dr.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi there. Depending on what and how much and how often you were drinking, I would say you are on the upward curve. The first 2 days is by far the worst. After 3 days it should b a lot easier.

Like other posters have suggested, one day at a time will do, and if u dont drink, u wont go thru this again!
Old 07-02-2009, 10:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sable1 View Post
I'm on day 5 without alcohol now and I still don't feel good. The first day I was really bad, couldn't walk and had cramps. Now I still have cramps but not as bad, and I feel like vomiting all the time and just really really weird....
But the question is, could it get worse or is the worst part over?

I don't know anything about this stuff, I actually didn't even realise that I was actually so addicted untill now...
Who knows? We're all different. The physical and mental suffering won't go away overnight but if you work it right it will go away. Everything will get better. You may want to see your family doctor. Alcohol detox is one of the most difficult and dangerous detoxes around. I went to a detox center last time. Today I am 3 months sober and living and loving my life, I hope the same for you. Give it time and trust and work a program.

We, who need help, pray for the healing of our
physical, emotional and spiritual pains and difficulties.
Source of all blessings and powers,
heal us - empower us, and bless us.
We realize that we can’t do it alone, and we ask for blessings
from all those who have the power to help, elevate and heal.
We ask for the help from the sacred that is above us.
We ask for the support of those around us,
our friends, families, and communities.
We pray for the wisdom to find ways to help ourselves.
We ask for guidance to help us ease our way
and heal our hearts.
May we open ourselves to do the mystery that is beyond us,
the source from which we are never apart.
May we be happy and whole.
May energy pour through us for the benefit of one and all.
May we dance and lift up our hands and our hearts
in praise and rejoicing.
__________________________________________________ _____________________
Namaste
Old 07-02-2009, 10:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
6/20/08

For me, sobriety is/was just one day at a time. Seriously. If I got to thinking about how I was Going to feel...I got scared....when I got scared.....I wanted to drink.

Just worry about Right Now....and Welcome to SR!
Old 07-02-2009, 10:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Sable,

Hang in there! I think physically the worst is over. Phycologically (spell?) I'm not so sure. Stay here keep posting and reading. There is a wealth of knowledge here. Good luck.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

When I was in rehab they gave us a urine test on arriving. I passed only because it took me 2 days to travel the 1200 miles to get there.

Those who failed were sent to a local clinic for detox typically lasting 2 or 3 days. The record for detoxing was 4 days. The guy was initially misdiagnosed as "Dead" and sent to the morgue by mistake.

Unless you were mixing pills and booze you should be past DT's. If you still feel ill it would be best to consult a Doctor and see if you have other health issues.

Seen it!
Done it!
Been to rehab!
Got the dead-mans t-shirt & underwear while in rehab!
Old 07-02-2009, 11:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

well thanks for the replies.
It's up and down. Just a moment ago I felt dizzy and sick, like I was gonna faint, but now I feel a little better. The weird thing is that I was feeling ok day 3 and 4, but today it got worse again. I allready talked to the doctor and he said that the worst part should be over, so I hope that I'll be feeling better soon.

I'm definitly going to stay sober though! I never want to experience something like this again. I mean, the next time it will probably be worse, like someone pointed out.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

There are too many variables about de toxing from alcohol
to consider....there just is no absolute time line.

Only a medical assessment can answer your question.
Not by telephone either...in person.
Have you considered an ER?

Please don't sit around being sick.
That is not a good idea.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"I'm definitly going to stay sober though! I never want to experience something like this again. I mean, the next time it will probably be worse, like someone pointed out."

Never, ever, forget that.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sable1, here is a little of the experience that I had in getting sober I realize now I should have sought medical help but was not smart enough to do so.
Day one and two -- the shakes, vomiting, no appetite, I felt like I was going to die ,seriously I thought about going to the hospital but had no insurance therefore I did not go.
Day three in four -- finally I got the courage enough to eat an ice cream bar, and didn't throw it up. Still in a mental fog , confused, unable to make even simple decisions without my wife's help. Liver hurt, cramps, unable to sleep. Wanted to die -- prayed God would kill me if I ever had to go through this again.
Day five -- kind of a break over day for me. Actually felt well enough to drink, and wanted to, but remembered days one through four to vividly to do so. So I stayed sober and suffered.
Day six began searching for help. Decided that I could not live like this anymore but knew I needed help to quit.
Day seven through 10-- much soul-searching, praying, seeking for God's help.
Day 11 through 12th -- found the SR website and begin to read posts and information. I was greatly encouraged to find others that had been through similar experiences as I had. I felt for the first time there was a hope that I can actually stay sober if I was willing to listen and heed the good advice from others who had been where I am.
Hang in there Sable. The best days are ahead of you now. Keep reading the posts on SR website stay in contact. Be strong and take it one day at a time. Listen to these people they know what they are talking about!! I almost typed “I wish you the best of luck” You don’t need luck you need the determination to see your recovery through and you need God’s help to keep you strong. Will be praying for you.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
TC MI

Hi sable1, in my past experience the worst would be over but we are all different.. drink lots of water, take lots of vitamins, you need potassium and sodium Gatorade or other sports drinks..Eat good.. if u can go see a doc..
Old 07-02-2009, 06:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
TC MI

sable1, I hope you do day 6............................
Old 07-02-2009, 11:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Everything you need to know is here, it is a great read. Please take some time to read it, it really made total sense to me. How about you?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html