DUI Question

Old 07-02-2009, 08:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

DUI Question

I just read an article about a NJ man who has recieved his 15th DUI.

Isn't there some limit on the number of DUI's one can recieve? Doesn't someone permanently lose their license for double digits of drinking and driving incidents?

Why would he keep getting his driver's license back?

Just wondering.

Miss
Old 07-02-2009, 09:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maybe he was driving with a suspended licence.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh.

I naively thought that when someone reached a certain level of DUIs, it was goodbye driving priviledges forever.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In California, you can go to state prison for up to four years for a 4th. It's automatically a felony after the 3rd.

L
Old 07-02-2009, 09:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Was he driving legally? Did he have a valid driver's license at the time?

For some folks, just because you lose your license doesn't mean you stop driving.

Here in Colorado, we had a fellow this spring who killed his wife & son by driving drunk -- his 12th DUI.

In California, little Melody Osheroff was killed (and her father maimed) by a motorcycle driver on his 7th DUI. He flipped off the court at his arraignment.

Not stepping on the soap box but.....as long as they're allowed to do this without being treated as criminals, they will continue to do it. It's a damned shame imho.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I read that he'd already had his license suspended 22 times, and it will be taken away for 10 years after this. He also has 2 more DUI's he hasn't been to court on. Some states are getting tougher on the laws against DUI's, some just let them go on, and on, and on.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 07-02-2009, 10:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The problem with repeat offenders is that unless they are locked up, they will continue to drive, regardless of whether they have a dl.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It depends on the state.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Anvil and Givelove,

You are probably right. I never considered that maybe he didn't have a license at all or that people drive without licenses. Sometimes I make myself laugh at how oblivious I am.

I am surprised to learn that repeat DUI offenders in the 10+ category are not subject to harsher punishments. It seems to me that if someone put a gun to the heads of 10 different people at ten different times, each time getting arrested for it, then they would eventually go to jail for good. I don't understand why repeat DUIs are not treated as more of a criminal offense with harsher punishments.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh. I re-read the article. His license has been suspended 78 times in 22 years with 15 DUIs.

Nice guy.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Any system that permits that kind of abuse really needs a serious overhaul. Wow, crazy.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

FWIW, I work in the justice system. Don't control it, don't make the rules, but deal with it intimately every day. For the most part, judges do not understand addiction. Heck, I've even known some who partake in the proverbial "3-martini lunch." They mostly have good intentions, giving out light sentences, slaps on the wrist, wanting to believe that giving someone a chance to clean up on their own is better than incarcerating them. I used to believe that, too. Till alcoholism took a wrecking ball to my life. I even read some statistics recently that up to 80% of people in AA meetings were not there voluntarily, but by court mandate. Kinda ruins the idea, I think.

Also, I know for a fact that caseloads are so heavy that many times judges do not have a fair opportunity to review a defendant's case history before making a ruling. I suspect that is why this person fell through the cracks. I'm not making excuses, I think it's wrong, too. But, I understand how it happens.

L
Old 07-02-2009, 09:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i heard the same too re AA attendees, from my recent ex. he told me that they have this card that needed to be signed to show that he attended a mtg and that most ppl do this for court purposes.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hotamale View Post
i heard the same too re AA attendees, from my recent ex. he told me that they have this card that needed to be signed to show that he attended a mtg and that most ppl do this for court purposes.
I always signed the court card myself. I personally have 3 DUI's and having a heck of a time getting my license back. I feel like I deserve it.

tiburon
Old 07-02-2009, 10:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Tiburon,

Did you have to go to jail for 3?

Miss
Old 07-02-2009, 10:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

No I did not. I never served a single day in jail but I paid big bucks for a lawyer. Chicago is a very overcrowded criminal justice system so it takes a lot to get a jail sentence.

tiburon