Running off Frustration - Music Choices

Old 07-02-2009, 06:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
aka Miss Scarlett O'Hara

Running off Frustration - Music Choices

Hello!

I have recently gotten back into the habit of running and was downloading some new running music. I found some that relate to my situation that inspire me to work my butt off:

I hate myself for loving you... Joan Jet

Second Chance... Shine Down

No More Drama... Mary J Blige

Rehab... Amy Winehouse

I think I have a couple others, but can't seem to think of them at the moment. I love it when any of these come up because they push me to "run out my frustrations" with my current situation with abf.

I would really like to add more so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks everyone! Hope everyone with a long holiday weekend have fun and relaxing plans!
Old 07-02-2009, 08:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hate me - blue October, that's the only one that I can think of that has to do with drugs. I'd suggest putting some feel good songs in there also, I'd hate to end a good run only to have fueled the frustration!
Old 07-02-2009, 08:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I suggest some feel good music too. Sometimes I work out to run off frustration but the best part of working out for me is that its just for me!! If I dont want to, I dont have to think about anything else in the world. Listen to songs that pump you up and make you smile. Sometimes I get so into it I catch myself singing out loud, the people at my gym must think Im crazy. I listen to Stevie Wonder, Frankie Valli, Michael Jackson, some Fergie songs are good, UB40....just to name a few.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
aka Miss Scarlett O'Hara

Yep, got lots of feel good music too! My recent fav is Super Freak and got some Michael Jackson, Beyonce, etc.etc... I found a "best of the 80's" workout music and LOVE it! LOL

Like I said, I love all kinds of music so I have lots and lots of feel good stuff. I just am liking mixing some in here and there that help me run off specific stressors such as abf! LOL Listening to rehab makes me laugh, actually and the others pump me up and make me feel like I have power against the issues I'm facing. I probably look like a dork running and laughing and singing, but what the heck!
Old 07-02-2009, 09:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

I just got back into running myself after a taking a year hiatus... and now I'm training for a 1/2 marathon in December.. it's been a great way to focus on myself and not think about the chaos at home..

Since my running goals are ones that are positive ones, I have only loaded up songs on my ipod that are fun and motivating.. songs about drugs will only remind me of what I'm "running" from if that makes since...

I have songs like Born to Run, Eye of the tiger, life is a highway, devil went down to Georgia, welcome to the jungle.. things like that...
Old 07-02-2009, 10:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
aka Miss Scarlett O'Hara

Since my running goals are ones that are positive ones, I have only loaded up songs on my ipod that are fun and motivating.. songs about drugs will only remind me of what I'm "running" from if that makes since...
The difference for me is that I'm not running FROM anything. I am facing it head-on. I feel powerful when I run. It makes me feel that I have the power I need to face this thing head on. And I NEED to feel my own power in this situation to make it through.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll take any and all good running (workout) music suggestions. Just trying to load up the old ipod with good, motivating tunes! Thanks!
Old 07-02-2009, 01:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Jt, more in common with you every day. I sing, and love getting out my 'junk' when singing.... I got a boat load of fav's but here are some by catergory:

strength:
Fighter by Christina Aguleria (sp)
Already Gone by Sugarland
More like her by Miranda Lambert
Gunpowder and lead by Miranda Lambert
Do you sleep? by Lisa Lobe
Independence day by Matina Mcbride

Drugs and the ramifications:
You deserve much better than me by Hinder (watch the video)
Stupid boy by Keith Urban (sang it for nicole when going to rehab)

Love: (lot of material here) (sad and happy)

You don't even know who I am by patty loveless
I told you so (remake) by Carrie Underwood
Time for me to fly by Reo Speedwagon (I know, Iknow, corney--- but I love it)
All these years by Sawyer Brown (sad)
Long long time by Linda Rondstat (sad)
Strongest weakness by Wynonna
Where I stood by Missy Higgins

Theres a good start for ya..
Love,
Cess
Old 07-02-2009, 05:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

Originally Posted by justtired View Post
The difference for me is that I'm not running FROM anything. I am facing it head-on. I feel powerful when I run. It makes me feel that I have the power I need to face this thing head on. And I NEED to feel my own power in this situation to make it through.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll take any and all good running (workout) music suggestions. Just trying to load up the old ipod with good, motivating tunes! Thanks!
I'm not running from his disease or the problems at home.. But for an hour or two, I'm running from all that crap and leaving it behind.. guess I should have worded that a little bit differently.

Running is powerful, I love seeing how far I can push myself. I feel healthy, I feel alive and now that I have gotten back in the groove of things, it's really helping me with my recovery too.. I don't know about you but running is very meditating to me.. I set a lot of goals while I'm running, I clear a lot of stuff out of my head, and work a lot of stuff out... somedays it is my only sanity.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dave Matthews Band is great !!!

I've also been listening to the Black Eyed Peas.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I love this song by Kanye West and yes I am a "young" but middle aged white woman

YouTube - Kanye West - Stronger
Old 07-03-2009, 07:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Fighter - Christina Aguilera
Old 07-04-2009, 01:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi fellow runner! running makes me feel so strong, both physically and spiritually. I smoked a pack and a half a day for over 30 years before I quit, so the fact that i do this - can run 4 miles like its nothing... a miracle.

For recovery stuff I listen to:
The Maker (by daniel lanois) - has the following lines:
Have you seen the homeless daughters
standing there with broken wings?
I have seen the flaming souls,
there, over east of eden,
I'm not a stranger
in the eyes of the Maker.

this speaks to me big time since my daughter is the addict...

Then there is Ghost Dance (by Robbie Robertson)
its a song about the Indian nation, but has the following lines:
You don't stand a chance
against my prayers.
you don't stand a chance
against my love...

for me the 'You' is the disease of addiction....

Since I don't have my ipod with me (I'm at work) I can't think of the many others I listen to for inspiration when I run.

take care and good runnning,
Ellen (sleepygoat)
Old 07-04-2009, 04:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Did JT pull a 'Forest Gump' and is running cross country? Haven't heard from her since this post..... lol.

Where did ya go Jt?

Love,
Cess
Old 07-05-2009, 06:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
aka Miss Scarlett O'Hara

I don't know about you but running is very meditating to me.. I set a lot of goals while I'm running, I clear a lot of stuff out of my head, and work a lot of stuff out... somedays it is my only sanity.
jerect ~ I totally agree, it is meditating. And for some reason it has a way of helping me look at things from a new perspective. I feel so refreshed and my thoughts come from a different place inside of me. I'm sooo glad to be back in the groove!

Last edited by justtired; 07-05-2009 at 07:08 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
aka Miss Scarlett O'Hara

Did JT pull a 'Forest Gump' and is running cross country? Haven't heard from her since this post..... lol.
LOL... I'm back! I just got busy with the holiday and other stuff. But running cross country is not a bad idea!

I'm glad to see more responses. You guys rock! I'll be adding lots of your suggestions to my collection later today! Can't wait to go for my next run with my new tunes!