Notices

Found a fun activity to get away from alcohol... Have you?

Old 06-29-2009, 07:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Focus

Found a fun activity to get away from alcohol... Have you?

I'm sure there have been posts like this before but not in the past 5 pages, so:

Tonight, when I couldn't get wine off of my mind... I left the apartment, alone, got in my car, opened up all of the windows, turned the radio up and just drove.

Fun What do you do?
Old 06-29-2009, 07:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I look for new artists on iTunes. I'll look up music reviews and find artists off the beaten path. I put them on my iPod and use them as inspiration for my morning walks.

Something I never had the time to do while drinking!
Old 06-29-2009, 07:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by lauraandersen4 View Post
I'm sure there have been posts like this before but not in the past 5 pages, so:

Tonight, when I couldn't get wine off of my mind... I left the apartment, alone, got in my car, opened up all of the windows, turned the radio up and just drove.

Fun What do you do?
I started cooking and baking again, joined the gym, going to take a course next month, and just started taking a Bellydancing class
Old 06-29-2009, 07:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
TC MI

I relished in the thought i did not drink yesterday..WOW a big one for me..O O and i got my stained glass stuff back out..
Old 06-29-2009, 07:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just picked up my grandmas bible and really read the scriptures she underlined. I found comfort in doing that. Years ago when I was young I was arrested for DUI, I spent 7 days in jail. She sent me letters everyday, with encouraging words, telling me she had faith that I would overcome my problem and that no matter what Jesus loved me and would help me through it. Well It took 20 yrs for those words to finally sink in, God rest her soul, she was right.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Focus

Sounds great everyone! :-D
Old 06-29-2009, 07:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Laura, I am finding just keeping myself busy... with anything helps. I have so much to do around here, so just doing things is satisfying in and of itself and keeps me from thinking about drinking wine. Tonight I cooked an early dinner, kept preparing snacks and drinks for my kids, did the dishes, did my bills (which I hate doing, but how satisyfing to get out of the way!), wrote some e-mails to family, wrote a couple of birthday cards... watched part of a movie with my daughter, took the dog for a walk. The usual stuff of life, but if I keep moving, it's working for me!
Old 06-29-2009, 07:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
My big hobbies are amateur astronomy, paintballing, cooking, hiking, camping, and motorcycling, and lately I've been working on a lot of home improvement projects.

I also got reacquainted with an old hobby while I'm on vacation, flying stunt kites.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I sit here on SR....
LOL.

No....I chase up music artists all over the net...and do a bit of playing myself.
My creativity came back when I stopped drinking

D
Old 06-29-2009, 10:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I second joining a gym. Heck, with the money saved from not buying alcohol, you can join a nice one!

I really went all out; utilized a trainer, lost 40 pounds and just felt like getting in great physical shape went hand in hand with sobriety.

Dave
Old 06-30-2009, 02:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I enjoy metal detecting.....
Old 06-30-2009, 02:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Good thread, to be honest though, I simply work a good program on a daily basis which allows me to live life on lifes terms, I have not thought about having a drink in a long time.

What I do today thanks to being sober and sane is live life! There are so many things I quit doing due to my drinking that I am now getting back to, fishing, hunting, & camping. We just bought a used 25 foot travel trailer and are picking it up Friday, going to start camping the old mans way! A bed, shower, bathroom, stove, oven, electricity, & AC!!!!! LOL

Life today has become far more then I dreamed possible, I have not fought my alcoholism in quite a while, I simply work my program the best I can daily and I live life not obsessing or even thinking about a drink. This just amazes me, 3 years ago if some one had told me there would come a day when I could care less if alcohol fell of the face of the earth I would have said they were nuts! 3 years ago my life revolved around drinking.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm with Smynthia: long walks, sometimes listening to music. There's a coffee shop I like about 2 miles away from my home, I have to walk across a big park to reach it - that's my daily expedition, lol.

At night, nothing beats reading a good book - after wasting my evenings for many years, I have lots of catching up to do with my reading
Old 06-30-2009, 03:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Photography.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Focus

Originally Posted by Waterman View Post
I enjoy metal detecting.....
Me too! Civil war? My husband and I have found bullets, a broken horseshoe, a chain from a cannon, 2 buttons off of a union uniform and a cartridge box finial. Where do you go? Have you found anything cool? Our collection is weak, but kind of exciting
Old 06-30-2009, 04:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Reading, playing games, crosswords, getting out and people watching with a nice cup of coffee.

Watching movies, tv, chocolate.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I walk, a LOT, at least an hour a day.

I was amazed by how much it helped nourish my spirit, as well as making me feel better spiritually. I often walk with my husband that gives us quality time togeter with no cell phones, no tv,just us.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I spend time with my dogs, as they are so important to my quality of life. Plus, I always feel better after spending time with them, they relax and refresh me like nothing else can.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I'll ditto least on the dog thing, they are so much better taken care of now I also go to the gym a lot, I cook a lot of new things, and I bake now (I always thought I hated it!). I spend a lot more time with my parents/grandpa, and much more quality time with the hubby.

At first though, when I was actually trying to replace the time I drank, that would have by far been the gym. I would go right after work, until I was worn out. I felt really good and it quelled most of the anxiety I was feeling.

Anna, I love to walk too. I also like taking pictures of nature, I live pretty close to the mountains (I'm in SW Denver). I read.. a LOT. There's just an entire LIFE out there waiting to be lived now that we're all sober and clear!
Old 06-30-2009, 06:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
jimbo

great thread ,every one else here seems to of lost weight i'm so bored i'm throwing food down my throat like no tomorrow ,i'm allowed to leave the house tomorrow(swine flu) i might just join the local gym