Suicidal Thoughts?

Old 06-29-2009, 04:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
No Day But Today

Suicidal Thoughts?

Is it normal for an addict to talk about suicide? He's the type of guy that doesn't understand that kinda stuff, he was always so against that kinda thing....but I've kinda had the thought that he's been depressed.

I don't know what to do. Or if this is normal. I want to talk to his mom, since we're both still young...but...I don't know how to approach it..

Is it normal, or what?
Old 06-29-2009, 04:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

If someone is talking about killing themselves, they need help immediately.

Talk to the person who's talking about suicide. Call a suicide hotline and ask them what to do. You can always call the authorities and have them make sure the person is okay.
Let the professionals determine if he's serious or not about doing it.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

Yes, I'd say it's normal when you're coming down/off a drug. You should tell someone because people do act on it...
Old 06-29-2009, 04:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
On the path to self discovery

I agree with SJ, it does happen, but it should also be taken seriously.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I agree that if you feel someone may harm themselves, it's good to call for help.

That said, many addicts get depressed, often talking about not wanting to live, and even more often using it as a ploy to keep codependents hanging on...."The only reason I haven't killed myself is you..."If you leave me, I will kill myself"...you get the gist.

I would take it seriously always, and call 911 each time. If it is a ploy to manipulate, they soon get the message that WE aren't the ones to save them, they have to do that for themselves.

Hugs
Old 06-29-2009, 05:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No Day But Today

As far as I know he did not say anything about if someone leaves he will kill himself. He just said that he's been thinking about killing himself. He's not in withdrawal, that I know at least. I've had his feeling that he's been depressed. But nothing ever came of it. I'm going to alert his mother, but I'm not sure how much that will actually do.

Would you say that this is enough to say he is a danger to himself now?
Old 06-29-2009, 05:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Heathen

From what you've said, yes, that is enough. Whoever he has said this to can and should call 911/Emergency services and ask for a welfare check on a suicidal person. And 911, like pp said.. each time it's mentioned. You cannot save him, but the proper authorities should be alerted for suicidal ideation.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Very common but not something to take lightly either.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No Day But Today

It is common then? Anyone have any experience with it? Like what stage that is in addiction...?
Old 06-29-2009, 07:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
No Day But Today

He really resents me for being a buzzkill all the time. I always catch him in everything.

Is talking to his mom a bad move?
Old 06-29-2009, 10:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No Day But Today

His mother doesn't see. I am the first to fight, for it has only just begun. His life will never be uncomfortable, anymore than it already is. I know that. I have been trying to make him see, and now all I am doing is letting people know the truth when they ask. But it's the suicide topic that has made me scared.

I was simply asking if I should tell his mom about his suicidal thoughts.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cynical one View Post
Ann is right on the money. My qualifier attempted to play the suicide card on three different occasions. The first time I went into full panic mode calling his family, drug buddies, running and looking for him. The next time I called 911, he got beyond angry. Third time I called 911, and he never tried to play that game again...I was such a pesky little buzzkill.

And unless his mother is in the medical or mental health profession she is no more qualified to deal with this than you are (or any of us). Leave this up to the professionals.
I am a mental health professional, and I would never deal with someone who is suicidal on my own...I would call 911 or a crisis team.

And there have been 2 times with the 2 addicts in my life that merely stating that I would call 911 when they threatened suicide cut that crap right out.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

oh I want to add one more thing!

Never, I mean Never think you can second guess an addict, or that you know what he or she will or will not do. You have NO IDEA how far they will go to get what they want. They will go WAY further than you ever would. Think of what your addict has done already. Did you see those things coming?
Old 06-30-2009, 04:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

my son used the suicide cared when nothing else was working or when coming down off of a big high. It would be when he was trapped in a corner and he admits now it was used to manipulate me. BUT i never took a single one lightly even though i knew it was most likely manipulation and an attempt to gain sympathy. I called 911 or got him to the hospital for an assessment each and every time. once they released him and three times they held him for 3-4 days at a mental hospital.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Heathen

Ok.. I'm a former addict. I was not suicidal per se.. but the drugs were killing me, many think that by itself is a form of suicide. Who knows.

It doesn't MATTER what "stage" of addiction your friend is in, whether it's typical or not, yada yada. If he doesn't commit suicide, the drugs could take him sooner than later anyways. This is not your deal. I mean this with love in my heart, and I know it doesn't sound like it.

If someone makes suicidal threats, 911 needs to be alerted. Period. There is no more thinking about this, you're goint to make yourself crazy. It's not supposed to make sense. You cannot stop, curtail, or interfere with his addiction. Talking to his mother will do nothing but then bring one more person into this twisted mess.

Suicidal=911. End of story.