Notices

Starting today

Old 06-29-2009, 09:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting today

I just want to share with everyone what I am doing and hopefully get some support. I am going sober starting today. I am 28 now, but didn't start drinking until I was about 18 when I started college. Like so many people, it started out as a fun thing to do on weekends with friends. Everyone does it right? Well, I guess for me the party never stopped. I have a life that most people would be jealous of. I have a beautiful wife, a 10 month old baby girl, and plenty of money. The problem is, I drink every night. Not a whole lot, but 6-8 beers to help me sleep. I have never slept well, and I started having anxiety issues a few years ago. So I have gotten in the vicious cycle of drinking to relieve my anxiety. Only to find that it is worse the next day. I now believe the drinking is the cause of my anxiety. I know my life will be so much better in so many ways once I am off the alcohol. I think my health is started to be effected also. I know I need to stop, and have tried to do it on my own, but there is no one giving me support or holding me accountable. So I am trying this for some help.

God bless everyone, and thanks for taking the time to read this and possibly give me some support.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Keep coming back.

If you find you can't do it by yourself check out the wonderful group of people in AA.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I now believe the drinking is the cause of my anxiety.
Me too. I was always anxious and thought that the drinking helped. But I now realise that it was making it worse. I am sooo much calmer now that I dont drink. In fact, drinking alcohol at night is really bad for your sleep rythm in that you dont get that deep REM sleep that is needed for a deep sleep. You might find that when you quit drinking (and smoking especially, if you smoke) that your sleep and anxiety will improve too.

Great to meet you!!
Old 06-29-2009, 09:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome bdiddy to SR, it is great to have you.

Some people do manage to stay sober with the support of this site alone, but if you find that it isnt enough I urge you to seek some face to face support, such as a recovery program. In the mean time, post and read and learn about your illness is my suggestion.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You've taken a brave giant first step on a lifelong journey of sobriety and truely living. Number 1, give yourself support and hold yourself accountable. You may be powerless over drinking but you're not powerless over not drinking. Then reach out, wife, family, friends, AA and/or other support groups, perhaps a doctor or therapist to look into the anxiety. I've been drinking off and on , mostly on, for 45 years. I am enjoying my 84th day of sobriety. I rely on family, AA--f2f and online, I'm on antideppresants and seeing a therapist due to anxiety/depression triggered by PTSD and am on Campral for cravings. I am also practicing my spiritual beliefs. I'll do whatever it takes to retain sobriety. I'm learning that by not drinking I'm losing nothing and gaining everything. Sobriety is its own reward and motivator.

The beauty of life is, while we cannot undo what is done, we can see it, understand it, learn from it and change so that every new moment is spent not in regret, guilt, fear or anger but in wisdom, understanding and love.-- Jennifer Edwards
Old 06-29-2009, 09:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
jimbo

i'm only 27 days in myself so i know nothing but i will say this site has been a great help to me

understanding the life that i had now with no drinking buddies no pubs no beered up bbq's ....... there is a better life out there i just have to find it ..a life dependant on booze really is no life at all ,to be honest i was never that happy not that i'm happy now , at least i have a chance if i stay sober ,taking my daughter out without the hang over enjoying my day with her without the pounding head ache
Old 06-29-2009, 09:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to the SR community.
i hope that you keep coming back.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR. Keep reading and posting.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thanks for sharing bdiddy

share more and more if you want.

for many (probably most) it is a difficult thing to stop drinking.

especially if you are not in jail and still have 2 or more cars in the garage and a family.

but you can do this!

good luck and may you find peace
Old 06-29-2009, 10:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hope3

Red face

Originally Posted by bdiddy5522 View Post
I have a life that most people would be jealous of. I have a beautiful wife, a 10 month old baby girl, and plenty of money. The problem is, I drink every night. Not a whole lot, but 6-8 beers to help me sleep. I have never slept well, and I started having anxiety issues a few years ago. So I have gotten in the vicious cycle of drinking to relieve my anxiety. Only to find that it is worse the next day. I now believe the drinking is the cause of my anxiety. I know my life will be so much better in so many ways once I am off the alcohol.

God bless everyone, and thanks for taking the time to read this and possibly give me some support.

Hi and welcome bdiddy, sounds like you have a wonderfull family and a lot to get healthy for...

I have been sober 19 months and I am a member of AA. My drinking was gradually killy me.. there is hope. A lot of people that have anxiety or other disorders self medicate through alcohol or drugs...

I was one of them, besides the fact that it runs in the family..

I would see a doctor about that anxiety...

Sobriety is a beautiful way to live...hope you keep comming back,

hope3
Old 06-29-2009, 10:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey, welcome. I myself am a brand newbian. I have been trying to get sober for about a month now and today is day 2 for me. I keep starting over day after day. But I feel like at least now i am really trying to make changes and think differently. Either way, I was sober last night and i feel refreshed this afternoon. Just keep it up and realize how high you can get on being sober. You may have forgot how good it feels to be fresh and clear. Good luck and dont get discouraged man, its hard for us all.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would advise seeing your doctor and being honest about your drinking. They can give you medical help to detox and after that, AA or another program of recovery can help you stay sober. Keep coming back!
Old 06-29-2009, 10:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My drinking has caused very large amounts of anxiety for me these past few years. The anxiety is one of the main reasons I am seeking recovery, as it has really changed my personality. I know you will find wisdom and support here, welcome!
Old 06-29-2009, 11:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am on Day 2. I think there's hope for us, even us brand newbies. Keep posting and sharing. Remember you are not the only one struggling with this!
Old 06-29-2009, 11:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone so far for the concern, support, and suggestions. I just in the last month or so realized drinking had become more of an addiction that just a hobby. Then my wife said yesterday "what happened to the guy that I married" that was so active and always needing to be doing something. Now I just basically sit home and feel sick all day on weekends. The only way I feel better is to start drinking, and that is how I now know I need to stop. I know life is going to change, but I think if I can just get past this initial "detoxing" and start feeling good, that will be enough to not make me drink again. I just want my life back!

A few of you have mentioned seeing a Doctor about the anxiety, and I have already done that. He gave me Xanex for it. It does seem to help, but I am really hoping that once I am sober I won't need that anymore. I have just recently had a complete physical, and I am healthy as a horse.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 06-29-2009, 11:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I don't know if this helps, but I had a lot of anxiety too. My anxiety has disappeared since I quit. It took a few months in for it to completely disappear, but it has. I feel better energy wise too. You definitely pick up an interest in life again too. It really is easy to say that a lot of good things change inside you when you quit drinking.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Originally Posted by bdiddy5522 View Post
I just want to share with everyone what I am doing and hopefully get some support. I am going sober starting today. I am 28 now, but didn't start drinking until I was about 18 when I started college. Like so many people, it started out as a fun thing to do on weekends with friends. Everyone does it right? Well, I guess for me the party never stopped. I have a life that most people would be jealous of. I have a beautiful wife, a 10 month old baby girl, and plenty of money. The problem is, I drink every night. Not a whole lot, but 6-8 beers to help me sleep. I have never slept well, and I started having anxiety issues a few years ago. So I have gotten in the vicious cycle of drinking to relieve my anxiety. Only to find that it is worse the next day. I now believe the drinking is the cause of my anxiety. I know my life will be so much better in so many ways once I am off the alcohol. I think my health is started to be effected also. I know I need to stop, and have tried to do it on my own, but there is no one giving me support or holding me accountable. So I am trying this for some help.

That was my life for the last several months I drank. Unfortunately the more I drank, the worse the anxiety was, the more I had to drink to get rid of it.. and it progressed downhill FAST and dangerously. I'm so happy that you're here, and realizing it's time to stop! I'm very sure also that you're lil baby will appreciate a sober daddy (congrats on that by the way!!).

I thought I had an anxiety disorder back when I thought I was medicating it with alcohol.. come to find out (like you're realizing), I was causing it! My anxiety went away when I quit drinking, and I sleep like a baby now!!!

Welcome!
Old 06-29-2009, 01:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Flutter: Thank you for the encouragement! That is good to know because right now my anxiety is pretty bad. I know a couple drinks would take it right away, but that would just be adding fuel to the fire. Glad to hear and know that your anxiety went away when you stopped drinking. Right now it seems like a tough thing to get through, but I know I have to!