Notices

a little help please

Old 06-28-2009, 07:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy a little help please

I got addicted to vicoden when I was about 38.(can't believe it happened so late in life!!) The mental addiction is so hard, wanting the euphoric feeling. I got off of them after 2 - 3 year in jan. of 2009 and went for 3 months. Now i have relapsed and am back to 30 mg//2 x a day. I went to the hosp last time becase I went into a very severe depression. I am so scared of that and am hoping this time it won't be so bad with the withdrawal. I don't want my husband to know this has happened to me again. I don't want to go thru the same withdrawal so I know weaning is smarter. How do I wean with not really enough pills? Any recommendations?? Again, I used to take about 30-40mg/3 x a day for 3 years and now I have been sober for 3 months and am back to 30 for about 2x a day. How bad to you think the withdrawal effects will be for taking is amount for about 3 months again?? How can I taper with only about 5 days of pills left cause I don't know where to get more for tapering?? Please help,,,very nervous.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am glad you are reaching out for help and want to begin life without taking pills. This community is very encouraging and you will find much support. Know that you are not alone in your struggle, take time to browse around the forums and check back often for responses to your post.....
Old 06-28-2009, 07:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Hopeful68.

I'm an alcoholic, so vicodin is an unknown quantity to me. Please keep posting here if you like, but maybe also check out our Substance Abuse forum. If you ask there, you will get a lot of support and advice there as well

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

as others have suggested, if its specific medical advice you require - see your Dr.
None of us have the knowledge you need

Welcome to SR!
D

Last edited by Dee74; 06-28-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi hopeful68. Two different aspects come to mind when reading your post. First is you should seek advice from a doctor or medical professional if you need safe advice from getting off the medication, or for depression. The second thought that comes to mind is why you relapsed - were you doing anything to fix the root of the problem? I found I could stay off my drug of choice for only a few months at a time until I admitted I was powerless and I made a commitment to recovery. I found my home in recovery in AA, but there are different groups you can check out. It was a life and death choice for me, but now that I have a little time in life has never been better.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Focus

Originally Posted by hopeful68 View Post
I got addicted to vicoden when I was about 38.(can't believe it happened so late in life!!) The mental addiction is so hard, wanting the euphoric feeling. I got off of them after 2 - 3 year in jan. of 2009 and went for 3 months. Now i have relapsed and am back to 30 mg//2 x a day. I went to the hosp last time becase I went into a very severe depression. I am so scared of that and am hoping this time it won't be so bad with the withdrawal. I don't want my husband to know this has happened to me again. I don't want to go thru the same withdrawal so I know weaning is smarter. How do I wean with not really enough pills? Any recommendations?? Again, I used to take about 30-40mg/3 x a day for 3 years and now I have been sober for 3 months and am back to 30 for about 2x a day. How bad to you think the withdrawal effects will be for taking is amount for about 3 months again?? How can I taper with only about 5 days of pills left cause I don't know where to get more for tapering?? Please help,,,very nervous.
Though I have written prescriptions for this med .. well actually Lortab but same diff... for tooth extractions, I cannot do so for you, nor can I offer you any type of medical related advice in this forum. I do know that if you ask someone or multiple people to prescribe you narcotics in order to taper off, you will look like a drug seeker and may get in more trouble than you are willing to take on. With 5 pills, I really wish you could have planned for this better in advance. If you can't get into some sort of rehab, talk to your MD. They should have the answers for you.

All above said... withdrawal from this drug after chronic use is a very bad physical experience... but it won't kill you.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks for rreply

Originally Posted by lauraandersen4 View Post
Though I have written prescriptions for this med .. well actually Lortab but same diff... for tooth extractions, I cannot do so for you, nor can I offer you any type of medical related advice in this forum. I do know that if you ask someone or multiple people to prescribe you narcotics in order to taper off, you will look like a drug seeker and may get in more trouble than you are willing to take on. With 5 pills, I really wish you could have planned for this better in advance. If you can't get into some sort of rehab, talk to your MD. They should have the answers for you.

All above said... withdrawal from this drug after chronic use is a very bad physical experience... but it won't kill you.
Thanks for the reply. its 5 days worth, not 5 pills.....wish i could have planned better in advance, but sometime with people in this condition,we are not always thinking wisely. I am not looking for drugs from anyone, just asking for advise on how to taper with a small amount of pills or anything that can help me thru it. Thought that was what this forum was for........helpful input
Old 06-29-2009, 04:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Focus

Thanks for the reply. its 5 days worth, not 5 pills.....wish i could have planned better in advance, but sometime with people in this condition,we are not always thinking wisely. I am not looking for drugs from anyone, just asking for advise on how to taper with a small amount of pills or anything that can help me thru it. Thought that was what this forum was for........helpful input
It is for that, but to be honest, you would be better off asking your MD about tapering, that's all. I know you weren't asking for drugs, I have just seen too many people come into clinic asking for scripts for even the simplest procedures. You are right about not thinking wisely... trust me, I'm just learning that re: alcohol, not Vicodin.

Before I decided to try to stop drinking, I thought my behaviors surrounding alcohol were normal. It was after... now... as I am trying to end it that I found out I think about it all the time. My mind wanders and my mouth waters just thinking about pouring some cold wine and how nice that night would be. But it wouldn't really be nice. Facing problems like an adult (aka dealing with them) would be really nice.

Seriously, contact your MD, ask him/her about tapering. Your MD probably has more dealings with that than you would think. Good luck on finding an answer that helps.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am not looking for drugs from anyone, just asking for advise on how to taper with a small amount of pills or anything that can help me thru it. Thought that was what this forum was for........helpful input
Hi hopeful - we are here for helpful input, but our medical guidelines are pretty clear. This is from our forum policy available here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ting-tips.html

Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice.....Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
Its in yr best interests, hopeful - its always best to see a doctor
D
Old 06-29-2009, 05:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Heathen

Yep, see a doc, for sure.

I know when I was taking Klonopin, they halved my dosage over 3 days and that was it. But that is me, and that is a different drug all together.

We can support you along the way, but we cannot advise.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Your husband might appreciate it if you were upfront with him about. People really like to feel trusted.

Other than that - like everyone else said, see a doc.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
User

Hi hopeful68,

Welcome to SR! I'm currently battling a pill addiction, too, and I understand your fears and anxiety about quitting. I don't have much in the way of advice since I'm still trying to find my way out of the mess I've created with my own addiction, but please PM me if you'd like to talk sometime.

Take care and please keep posting!

Kelly
Old 06-29-2009, 09:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have found someone finally in my situation. I also don't want my husband to know how bad. I've been on norco for 1 1/2 yrs. I want to just lock myself away and detox. I want off these pills. I am 48 and can't believe this happened to me. I have a doc that is some what understanding, but keeps giving me the pills. please respond maybe we can help each other!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-29-2009, 11:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

You need to see a Doctor and tell them what your telling us. If your current one is not listening get another, but be honest with them

Good luck and welcome to SR
Old 07-01-2009, 09:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
User

Just checking in on you to see how you're doing. Let us know if you can, please. Best wishes to you.