Notices

How many of you lost alot of weight since quitting?

Old 06-28-2009, 06:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How many of you lost alot of weight since quitting?

During my first month of sobriety, I didn't have an appetite, and lost over 20 pounds. Don't know if the anxiety, depression, or lack of booze did it.....Just wondering......
Old 06-28-2009, 06:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Heathen

I was starving myself when I was drinking/using. I was sickly malnourished. I didn't lose anything, I gained a bit.. and I am much healthier for it!
Old 06-28-2009, 06:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I didn't lose weight either as I rediscovered food after quitting drinking! LOL! I haven't gained weight either tho, but am feeling lots better since I now eat regular meals instead of just drinking them.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had lost some weight in the last year of my drinking because I lost interest in food. So, fortunately I regained the ten or so pounds and began to feel so much better.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by Waterman View Post
During my first month of sobriety, I didn't have an appetite, and lost over 20 pounds. Don't know if the anxiety, depression, or lack of booze did it.....Just wondering......
Hi,

I always used to eat alot when I drank. Although, I used to start drinking on an empty stomach frequently.(I know, terrible). I was gaining weight.

Alcohol is very fattening, so now that you've stopped, that's probably why you're seeing a decrease in weight. Plus, if you're not eating as much, that would be why.

I know I don't look as bloated and have lost some weight since I stopped. I'm also becoming very active. I joined the gym and I'm taking dance classes, so that helps.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've lost about ten pounds after quitting....but I think it mostly comes from the depression of f*cking up again....I've been trying to quit for years and everytime I mess up I fall into a deep hole, loose weight, can't eat, can't sleep, can't think.....I have to force myself to eat as I have absolutly no appetite.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm in my first thirty days. As part of my recovery, I hike two miles a day each morning. I've created a healthy food plan that supports me nutritionally. I'm losing weight because I am living healthier.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I like posts like this! I hope weightloss is a side effect of quitting. I dont really need to lose much but I have started running and hope to tighten and tone. Its hard to go for a run when you are always either drunk or hungover!
Old 06-28-2009, 08:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

I am gaining weight as I am enjoying food so much more. Oh well, I would rather be fat then drunk. LOL!!!
Old 06-28-2009, 08:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have been gaining weight,eating like a horse. Ate very little when drinking, wasn't a priority, could get drunker on an empty stomach and usually has a sour stomach. Now I eat all of the time,especially sweets.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ab Hinc

A lot

I lost a lot of weight. Not the worst side effect in the world. Everybody is like - what are you doing man - have you lost weight? Yes - I got off drugs! - Is what I want to say but it is usually something stupid like i stopped eating after 8 pm.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I dropped around 8lbs. Directly related to not drinking so much. Also, I've felt lighter and more likely to exercise partially because I'm not buzzed from drinking.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I gained weight when I quit because I started eating again, was hungry all the time. I look and feel heathier now.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I gained weight. I eat a lot more now, in part to combat urges. I think more people gain weight than lose it, generally. It kind of depends on your drink of choice though. If you were drinking tons of beer a day then yeah you will lose weight like automatically. I was more of a hard alcy person. And if drugs are part of your story, like me, then that will make a diff. too. You don't do a lot of eating tweaked out on uppers. If you are just a pot-head on the other hand. . . So I think it really varies person to person. It's great when you can say recovery led you to get healthier and take off some extra pounds. But it shouldn't be the selling point. I would rather be a fat f--- sober than a skinny a-- drunk.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jade09 View Post
I've lost about ten pounds after quitting....but I think it mostly comes from the depression of f*cking up again....I've been trying to quit for years and everytime I mess up I fall into a deep hole, loose weight, can't eat, can't sleep, can't think.....I have to force myself to eat as I have absolutly no appetite.
Good luck with the depression. I know how that is(all too well), but I've stayed on the wagon.....
Old 06-29-2009, 02:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by smynthia View Post
I'm in my first thirty days. As part of my recovery, I hike two miles a day each morning. I've created a healthy food plan that supports me nutritionally. I'm losing weight because I am living healthier.
Sounds like you have a plan and alot of dedication to stick to it! That's what it takes!!
Old 06-29-2009, 02:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hendershot View Post
I gained weight. I eat a lot more now, in part to combat urges. I think more people gain weight than lose it, generally. It kind of depends on your drink of choice though. If you were drinking tons of beer a day then yeah you will lose weight like automatically. I was more of a hard alcy person. And if drugs are part of your story, like me, then that will make a diff. too. You don't do a lot of eating tweaked out on uppers. If you are just a pot-head on the other hand. . . So I think it really varies person to person. It's great when you can say recovery led you to get healthier and take off some extra pounds. But it shouldn't be the selling point. I would rather be a fat f--- sober than a skinny a-- drunk.
My choice was hard liquor mixed with a diet-drink chaser...No drugs. I blame my loss on anxiety and the depression(I guess)
Old 06-29-2009, 02:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
I lost 11 pounds of fat in the first several weeks bringing my BMI from 'overweight' to within the normal range (eg below 25.0). In other words, the disappearance of my love handles and slight beer belly.

It was not just due to the empty calories due to just alcohol (I was drinking once or twice a week when I stopped). It was also other activities related to the drinking: eating crappy fatty foods when drinking, midnight snacking after drinking, skipping breakfast due to hangovers, and missing exercise due to hangovers.

To bring my weight down to an ideal point, which means losing another 11 pounds, I'm going to have to start working out on a more regular basis.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You can see it's a tossup! Some lose, some gain. What I noticed is that my weight fluctuated when I drank. When I quit, it stabilized. I would go half days and sometimes full days not eating, then pig out: drunk eating.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Well for the first 5 or 6 months my weight stayed the same but everyone kepot asking me if I was losing weight, what I was loosing during those 6 months was the puffy face and the swollen liver.

I now vary about 10-15 pounds up and down depending upon whether I am going to the gym reguraly or not!

I love to eat, I love being sober! I just accept that I am fat, sober, & happy! I wish I could dedicate the time to my weight that I do to my recovery, but my recovery will always remain number one..... I prefer being overweight a bit, to being swollen up and drunk!