Notices

Has anyone here

Old 06-28-2009, 07:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Focus

Has anyone here

reduced the amount of food they consumed at a meal in anticipation for a drinking session with quicker effects a couple of hours down the road?

On a full stomach, I know I will take a LOT more alcohol to feel the effects so I lose the desire to drink. I watch my calorie intake so I can remain at this weight. I generally leave plenty of calories left over for wine, but if I am full after a meal without alcohol, my desire to drink decreases drastically.

Maybe this means that I do have control over it? Maybe there isn't really a problem if that is the case? Just thought of that!
Old 06-28-2009, 07:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I used to do that. No, it doesn't mean that you have control over it.

Non-alcoholics never think that way.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I never skipped meals so I would get more drunk but I would usually start drinking before dinner time (around 4 or so) and by the time dinner rolled around I was already too full from beer (maybe 2 or 3 drinks in) to eat much anyway.

That said, I try to be careful with my calories and always watched what I ate, especially on the days I knew I would be drinking.

People who dont have a problem with booze dont usually have to think about it at all. I dont know that anyone really "controls" thier drinking. If there is no problem, then there should be nothing to control.

Maybe you just need to make sure you eat enough at dinner.. who knows. Give it a try!
Old 06-28-2009, 07:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I that sometimes too.

My miind found a million excuses to justify my drinking. And, the thing was, in the middle of it, I just didn't see it. It was only looking back, with some perspective, that I could see how little control I did have.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

All the justifying and manipulating of meals and such is something only we alkies do. Normal drinkers don't think about drinking at all, nor do they work such 'tricks' to maximize the effects. I've run thru all the excuses and rationalizations for my drinking, just glad I don't have to do that anymore.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I used to do something like that...I would start drinking on an empty stomach and I wouldn't eat until I got really smashed.

I also did the opposite when I was trying to quit. I would eat a ton of food so I wouldn't be able to drink.

What the others said...people who are in control of the drinking don't do these things.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
TC MI

I agree if u are thinking of manipulating your food intake to get more of a buzz.. well that is something non alcoholics don't think of..and yes i did this trick too just had to get the booze in me as fast as i could so a would feel normal..at least what in my mind was normal.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
vicieux extraordinaire

I am a drunk. I just skipped meals altogether. Also money was so low that i just spent the few bucks on booze. And when there was no more money or booze, hell broke lose.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Heathen

Wow..

What part of that makes you think you're in any type of control of your drinking?

Denial can make even the most ludacris things seem logical, when really... they're far from it.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ludicris is a rap star. Ludicrous is an adjective that means insane, illogical, etc.

Not trying to be the SR grammar cop but I guess I'm doing a good job of it.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well I have to agree with everyone else on this one Laura. I skipped the dessert and the coffee so I could continue my drinking. Coffee indicated to me the end of the meal and the drinking. Thanks for reminding me of that. I did quite a lot of creative games to keep drinking.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My thing was giving blood at the workplace blood drive, then chugalug some beers when I got home! Insane.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Focus

Thank you so much for your responses everyone though to be completely honest, I wasn't expecting this type of reaction from people or this many with similar experiences. I'm happy for the sharing though. This forum is starting to make me wonder if some things I do aren't something your every day normal 29 year old would do...which is a new thought to me... but maybe it isn't the case at all. Maybe I'm perfectly normal

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
Wow..

What part of that makes you think you're in any type of control of your drinking?

Denial can make even the most ludacris things seem logical, when really... they're far from it.
Well, I was figuring I wasn't even thinking about drinking after I just ate a lot of food... so maybe this would excuse me from having a problem with alcohol. It would mean I don't think about it at every point during the day. I think about it a lot... I really want it often... but not all the time (aka not after I have just had a full meal). See? Kind of makes a little bit of sense?
Old 06-28-2009, 01:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Thinking about how much you do not think about drinking is thinking about drinking.

I used to feel like a slave to alcohol and that's why I chose to eliminate it from my life.

All the best to you!
Old 06-28-2009, 01:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I used to feel like a slave to alcohol and that's why I chose to eliminate it from my life.
ME TOO!! Good point!
Old 06-28-2009, 01:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

I would be in such a hungover state that I couldn't eat without having a drink first some days.

I'd go through whole days at work, surviving on some sips of water and a packet of crisps or something.

I'd down a half bottle of vodka as soon as I got home, to work up a hunger you understand, then eat my tea.

Having a normal healthy appitite is one of the great things about sobriety.

Things taste so much better as well.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
TC MI

Hey, I think about it a lot... I really want it often... what do u want ?? I think u know the answer. we all have are way of denial. this is a common trate of the alcoholic. O, I HOPE I DON'T GET BUSTED BY THE GRAMMAR COP.. Hope u stay and share some more.. Jay.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Heathen

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
Ludicris is a rap star. Ludicrous is an adjective that means insane, illogical, etc.

Not trying to be the SR grammar cop but I guess I'm doing a good job of it.
Thanks!
Old 06-28-2009, 06:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

One thing I love about this site is that You get to hear so many unique rarionalizations. If you're not eating to increase the speed and intensity of the alcohol effect, this means that alcohol has control over you! As was said earlier, normal people don't think like this. Alcoholics do, though......
Old 06-28-2009, 06:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"Maybe this means that I do have control over it? Maybe there isn't really a problem if that is the case? Just thought of that!"

Be sure and share this revelation with your sponsor.