Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

lisa marie presley on enabler/addict relationship with micheal

Old 06-27-2009, 06:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

sounds like typical pattern of child of addict becomes enabler marries addict...i found her words echoed so many of our experience...

"In a posting on her MySpace.com page one day after Jackson's death, Presley writes, "He knew: Years ago Michael and I were having a deep conversation about life in general. I can't recall the exact subject matter but he may have been questioning me about the circumstances of my father's death.... At some point he paused, he stared at me very intensely and he stated with an almost calm certainty, 'I am afraid that I am going to end up like him, the way he did.'.... I promptly tried to deter him from the idea, at which point he just shrugged his shoulders and nodded almost matter of fact as if to let me know, he knew what he knew and that was kind of that..... 14 years later I am sitting here watching on the news as an ambulance leaves the driveway of his home."

Presley also blames herself for failing to help Jackson avoid the fate he predicted, adding, "The person I failed to help is being transferred right now to the LA County Coroners office for his Autopsy..... All of my indifference and detachment that I worked so hard to achieve over the years has just gone into the bowels of hell and right now I am gutted....."

And Jackson's sudden death has prompted Presley to finally clarify reports her 1994 marriage to the pop star, which lasted two years, was staged for publicity

She adds: "Our relationship was not 'a sham' as is being reported in the press. It was an unusual relationship yes, where two unusual people who did not live or know a 'normal life' found a connection, perhaps with some suspect timing on his part. Nonetheless, I do believe he loved me as much as he could love anyone and I loved him very much..... I wanted to 'save him'.

"His family and his loved ones also wanted to save him from this as well but didn't know how and this was 14 years ago. We all worried that this would be the outcome then.

"He was an incredibly dynamic force and power that was not to be underestimated..... When he used it for something good, It was the best and when he used it for something bad, It was really, REALLY bad..... Mediocrity was not a concept that would even for a second enter Michael Jackson's being or actions..... I became very ill and emotionally/ spiritually exhausted in my quest to save him from certain self-destructive behaviour and from the awful vampires and leeches he would always manage to magnetize around him. .... I was in over my head while trying..... I had my children to care for, I had to make a decision..... The hardest decision I have ever had to make, which was to walk away and let his fate have him, even though I desperately loved him and tried to stop or reverse it somehow.....

"As I sit here overwhelmed with sadness, reflection and confusion at what was my biggest failure to date, watching on the news almost play by play The exact scenario I saw happen on August 16th, 1977 happening again right now with Michael.

"He was an amazing person and I am lucky to have gotten as close to him as I did and to have had the many experiences and years that we had together."
Old 06-27-2009, 07:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I guess the codie behavior knows now boundaries. Even with all of Lisa Marie Presley's money she could have easily walked away...instead she stayed and tried to save him just like we all tried to save our A's. Finally she got a backbone and left for her sanity and that of her children.

Interesting.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Addiction knows no boundaries.

We humans can fall victim to our own choices. Sad isn't it?
Old 06-27-2009, 10:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I read that too and immediately thought she sounded like anyone of us on this board. It's such a wast when they kill themselves with addiction.