Grateful

Old 06-27-2009, 04:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Grateful

Today, my oldest graduates from high school. Gratitude is the correct word for me today. The emotions are running high... but somehow this one struck me. I am grateful that he is a bright, handsome funny young man and my son at the same time. Although I am sad for what drug use has done to our family... I am grateful to have a family to love and care about.

I am very clear today that although I made choices to end a marriage, it was not that decision that caused the pain in our lives. It was drugs, their power and the decisions to use that lead to the mess that was our lives.

Today, I am no longer mired in that mess day to day. The drug use and its last effects still have grips on our family... but I am clearer about the role I played in all of this mess.

So, today I am grateful for the strength to change and grateful for the love and support that has allowed me to move forward. I am sad too... but mostly I am looking forward to today and watching my baby get ready to move on and tackle the world.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations to your son and to you too as you have "graduated" to acceptance. You made a difficult decision but as things settle and you are out of the front row seat with addiction, I know you are finding some serenity in your life.

I have found that gratitude truly helps me move forward. Even when life is stressful, if I can focus on what I am grateful for rather than what I feel unhappy about, I can move from a sense of stagnation to one of choice and opportunity.

Enjoy this special day and your wonderful child!
Old 06-28-2009, 09:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Imallright - congratulations!! What a wonderful thing!

My nephew, who I have helped raise (I'm more of a stepmother type than an aunt to him) also graduated from high school this week. I registered him his freshman year, met with his teachers every year and generally oversaw his schooling.

You summed my feelings up perfectly - I am grateful. Grateful to be such a huge part of his life, grateful that he is such a huge part of my life and grateful for my family and friends.

My emotions have been running high too but at the same time I have so much to be thankful for.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations Trying.... what a lucky young man to have someone like you in his life.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by imallright View Post
I am very clear today that although I made choices to end a marriage, it was not that decision that caused the pain in our lives. It was drugs, their power and the decisions to use that lead to the mess that was our lives.

So, today I am grateful for the strength to change and grateful for the love and support that has allowed me to move forward.
Yes, yes, yes. This made my eyes swell with tears. And all day today I am going to remember that ending my marriage was not the source of the pain - it was the drugs and the decisions to use. Thank you for reminding me...and congratulations.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Brand New Life

Yay Happy Dance!
Old 06-30-2009, 09:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Imallright - thank you so much. It's been an interesting ride these last 18 years but I wouldn't trade it for anything!!