Notices

2 more ignorant questions

Old 06-26-2009, 02:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Focus

2 more ignorant questions

Since I am just starting this, I decided that one more day probably wouldn't kill me and so here goes the question.

1. I'm not prone to headaches, and as mentioned before have only had maybe 3-4 drinks/night for quite a while now. About say 30 hours after my last drink, I started to get a headache, I waited about 5 hours. Nothing untolerable... it was pretty mild but I took it as a chance to experiment and I drank some wine again to see what would happen... 3 glasses or so. In about an hour my headache was gone. Is this a coincidence or has this happened to someone else?

2. 3-4 drinks per night isn't really a gross amount to cause something like this I wouldn't think. Right?

I really am cutting down and it really was just an experiment of sorts. I didn't have any today.

Not looking for medical advice...I have some medical training bc of dental school, and I did have to take pharmacology/toxicology etc... just wondering if anyone else experienced that, that's all.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I think these questions would be best answered by your doctor, as I have no medical experience and even if I did, I wouldn't diagnose anyone over the internet. Really, I'd see the doctor to be sure and safe.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Focus

I'm not really looking for medical advice... I have some medical training bc of dental school, and I did have to take pharmacology/toxicology etc. I just want to know if anyone else experienced that.

My consumption of alcohol isn't huge... so...
Old 06-26-2009, 02:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It was just a headache. Even teatotallers get them. A couple of aspirin likely would have eased it. And, the headache would have gone away of its own accord anyway. I don't think your experiment proved anything, except that you really wanted some wine.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

It sounds like you began to headache as you were detoxing from alcohol, and then drinking again relieved the headache. That would happen to me too. It was actually amazing to me, looking back, how much in denial I was. I would blame the headaches on anything and everything, but not my drinking.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Heathen

You probably were detoxing, and of course more of the "drug" helped. Alcohol is a toxin, from one drop to 40 shots, no matter.

We've ALL been thru it.. it creates a horrific pattern of dependence. Google "chasing the dragon".. scary sh*

For the record, 3 or 4 drinks a day is much more than most people drink..
Old 06-26-2009, 03:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Heathen

Originally Posted by 51anna View Post
Hi,

It sounds like you began to headache as you were detoxing from alcohol, and then drinking again relieved the headache. That would happen to me too. It was actually amazing to me, looking back, how much in denial I was. I would blame the headaches on anything and everything, but not my drinking.
LOL so true.. kinda like thinking I couldn't sleep unless I drank.. or that my anxiety was eased by drinking alcohol (and not caused by it). It is INSANE the denial we go through sometimes !!
Old 06-26-2009, 03:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Focus

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
LOL so true.. kinda like thinking I couldn't sleep unless I drank.. or that my anxiety was eased by drinking alcohol (and not caused by it). It is INSANE the denial we go through sometimes !!
Shoot...that sounds like me! It really did seem to help though, I mean it should by the nature of the drug.

Thanks for the responses. I really was curious as to who else has experienced this to see if it really could be from the alcohol.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it does help initially, until you cross the invisible line. Then the alcohol controls you, and there is no going back.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I like ignorant questions.

Headaches happen to sober people too, its not always the booze.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Focus

Originally Posted by eddie73 View Post
I like ignorant questions.

Headaches happen to sober people too, its not always the booze.
Id agree with you Eddie, but this is the 3rd time I have noticed this on different occasions and wine has cured it every time... but it has never started within a a few hours... always after a day or so and always after I had stopped. I guess I just figured if it was alcohol related, it would have started up sooner.

Alcohol dilates your blood vessels...that should give you a nasty headache, not take it away. ANyway, it may be unrelated. I was just asking for experiences.