advice about my 5 year old son

Old 06-24-2009, 07:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

advice about my 5 year old son

I know I already started my "newbie" thread, but this is a seperate question from the first, so I decided to start a different thread.

I have recently left my boyfriend of 2 years due to alcoholism. He truly loved my EX and his daughter with all of his 5 year old heart. While I feel he was always trying to fight for their love, he really does love them.

He doesn't understand why we can't live with "bob" and "lucy" anymore. I have tried to explain to him that sometimes adults can't live together anymore. But he keeps asking me WHEN he will see them again. Never sounds so harsh to me. He asks me why, if I can't live with "bob", does this mean he can't still see "lucy"? What do I say to this?

He also wrote a letter to "lucy" telling her how much he misses her and how he wants to see her again. He did this on his own at the babysitters and not at my urging. I let him come over to the old apartment with me and drop it in the mailbox so she would get it. I asked my EX if he would be ok with it before hand. Did I do the right thing here? If he does it again, should I drop the letter off again?

Does anyone have any advice on how to explain this whole situation in terms that a 5 year old would know? He's very weepy and sad a lot lately. I think its because he doesn't understand whats going on.

Light and Love,

Sarah
Old 06-24-2009, 08:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm growing

It's hard to day. I do not know your situation completely, but could you ask your X if you could pick Lucy up for playdates?

Maybe you could have a schedule?

As far as explaining it to him. Honesty is the best policy when dealing with kids. They know when we are lying or hiding things from them.