how to stop Drinking Wine ??

Old 06-21-2009, 09:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

how to stop Drinking Wine ??

hi everyone,

i am not an alcoholic, but my friend is, she does not know english very well,

she drinks about a half a gallon of wine a day,

how should she stop drinking ?

i know she can go to detox at the hospital, but that is very dangerous for an alcoholic to quit cold turkey, she might even die,

i know they have medicine to help her at the hospital, but is there another way for her to quit ?

how about 5 glasses of wine every day this week, 4 glasses next week, 3 glasses the following week, etc. until it's no more wine at all ??

does anybody know if this is a good, workable way to quit ?
Old 06-21-2009, 09:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"Another way for her to quit?"

"Half measures availed us nothing."

An alcoholic usually can't stop at 5 or 4 or 3, etc. drinks. My suggestion is that she get the help she needs at a hospital or treatment facility that deals with detox. If she is serious about sobriety, she will do what she needs to do.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

As an alcoholic..I can say that tapering off alcohol didn't work. I could always find ways to get more once I started to drink. Once I started drinking--I had to have more....even when I didn't want to--I was drinking against my will. If she is very far advanced in her alcoholism, then seeking help from an outside source--like detox or DR/medical assistance should be considered. And yes--alcohol withdrawal can be deadly.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I wish I knew... I'm dealing with the EXACT problem right now. I also have a chronic pain condition (Fibromyalgia) and that's how I got into using wine for pain relief. My pain 'meds' from my doctor just don't help. I drink about one BIG bottle of wine a day and it's just making me feel worse (although it helps with the pain - or is that my addiction talking?) I want to detox at home if I can, but not sure HOW. I know that everyone will have a different opinion here - some will say 'just stop and get to a meeting' others will say 'get into rehab ASAP' others will say 'is that ALL she's drinking? what's the problem?' I was in rehab for alcohol about 7 years ago and in 'group' the instructor said to me "why are you here? You LOOK so normal/clean"... What was that?? I look 'normal and clean'?? Well I did take a shower that morning - LOL! Anyway, I don't think it matters HOW much you drink/use drugs if it is having a negative impact on your life! I am on heavy duty pain meds (Norco/methadone/trazadone/cymbalta, etc. I had to TELL my pain doc to cut out the oxycodone and liquid morphine!
Now, I have to go to my pain doc and tell him I have a problem with alcohol and my pain meds DON'T WORK! Funny... he's also the head of rehab at my HMO... oh great!
I'm so afraid that he will take away my pain meds once he knows I'm having a problem with alcohol. I hurt SO BAD every single day, but I have to get off this stuff! My husband is VERY supportive - he's been through rehab 2X's already and been an AA sponsor. However, I've managed to 'convince' him that drinking wine is OK.... can you say 'co-dependant?'
I'd appreciate any help/encouragement - I'm REALLY afraid to start this process. I haven't quit drinking yet... I have a glass of wine sitting by me from the moment I wake up, until I take my last 'swig' at night. It's ruining my life because I WON'T drink and drive, so I'm 'stuck' at home most of the time. I'm NOT addicted to my pain meds (they don't work anyway) and I DO use Medical Marijuana (for a year now) for the pain but ONLY at night because I don't feel like I can 'function' on it as well as I do on the wine... go figure. I'd do just about ANYTHING to have ONE PAIN-FREE DAY.
Anyway, 'hello' to everyone! I'm hoping I haven't dumped too much info. too soon!

Sadiegirl09
Old 06-21-2009, 09:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Trying to detox or to taper on your own can sometimes be dangerous so I'd advise you to convince your friend to see a Dr...otherwise as Mary said the local ER, or the Salvation Army have a number of free detox and rehab facilities.

In the end tho, it's your friend's call to do something or not. I hope she listens to you.

D
Old 06-21-2009, 09:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Drinking AND taking those high-powered drugs is dangerous. Your tolerance is so high and if you're not getting pain relief or the desired effects, you'll take more. Very, very dangerous, hon. Please tell your doctor and get into a detox/treatment facility ASAP.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sadie

As someone who tried to self medicate for pain for 20 years - it doesn't work. It might relieve the symptoms for a time but it stops being effective and you have to up the dose and that brings a whole other set of problems into play. Mixing booze and meds is a bad idea.

The best way to deal with pain is let a professional handle it. If some choices need to be made about meds, then so be it, but I'm not a dr and neither is anyone else here.

You're letting the fear of what might happen keep you in a bad situation.
You won't be the first person to present with chronic pain who tried to manage it with alcohol.

Open up to yr Dr - and, together, you can sort it out

Welcome to SR
D
Old 06-22-2009, 12:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thank you for your concern to your friend,however,you must get professional
medical advice...that is a lot of alcohol usage and other medical issues will
need to be checked...please do it ASAP ...lol. Oz..
Old 06-22-2009, 01:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

yeah I think it's best for her to go and see a doctor and get medical advice. That is alot of alcohol consumption.

Also why doesn't she want to go to the doctors?
Old 06-22-2009, 02:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I agree....to be safe....medical advice is best.

Tapering ...as you mentioned above...rarely works for alcoholics.
I always drank more than I planned to....

Your being a good friend....all my best to both of you