Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Why does he drink beer and call his sponsor in the same night?

Old 06-20-2009, 09:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

He came home from work and hid beer. I don't know how many..just saw he had moved things around in the garage and saw a silver can sticking up a bit.

Why does he call his sponsor then several hours later? He hasn't talked to the guy for almost 2 weeks?

Seems rather counter-productive.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

You won't understand this, but I will try and explain any way.

When an alcoholic reaches a certain point in their alcoholism, the ALCOHOL becomes KING. My life revolved around ALCOHOL. How much was left, how much I needed to get through the night, where was the next coming from.

Now working with others in my many years in recovery from said alcoholism, I have also found that those who 'do not get it right away' have an even harder time, once they have some AA in their head and a 'belly full of booze.'

So, you see I see nothing wrong with what you have observed. He brought home beer, don't know if he drank or not, then calls sponsor. It's like the white angel on one shoulder (sponsor) and the angel in red and black on the other shoulder (alcohol, the devil) and they are fighting.

Instead of 'focusing' on him and what he is or is not doing .............................. what are you doing to help yourself grow, change, feel better about you, taking care of you?

Sweetie, it is unfortunate, but YOU CANNOT HELP HIM. This is his fight and his fight alone.

Best you concentrate on you.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 06-20-2009, 09:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know I can't help him. Sober Recovery and all my reading here is helping me to understand that. I am making small steps on "letting go". I would have counted the beer, confronted him, a big fight would have ensued as he would have denied it, on and on. Instead, I did nothing. I'm not even mad.

I know I am not "better" since I still care on why he would call AA and drink. It was just odd, without any prompting from me, he tells me he needs to call his sponor. And I'm thinking, in my head, what the heck is the point?

Thank you for your response. It was helpful. You are right, I don't understand it, but I think I see the "reasoning" behind this.