Notices

Not A Newcomer to Sobriety, BUT New to the Forum

Old 06-17-2009, 06:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not A Newcomer to Sobriety, BUT New to the Forum

Hello Ladies and Gents,

I'm sober four years now. I couldn't have done it without AA meetings to get my life back on track. After about one year of meetings, I only went periodically. I'm not much of a joiner, being an artistic and introverted, person; I didn't like to share at the meetings that much. Luckily, I found Buddhism and love the work of getting to know my mind.

When I first got sober, for the first three years, I was still entertaining the idea that maybe I wasn't really an alcoholic. I was entertaining the thought that I had been at a bad place in my life or that I was just too young to know how to handle my liquor. A couple of acquaintances also tried to "help" me a few times when I was at parties by saying, "You're not an alcoholic, you just haven't found your liquor yet." (You have to watch out for well-meaning friends that just don't understand what you could lose if you pick up that Bottle and start thinking of it as your Friend. )

Then I went camping just about a year ago with some friends and observed them casually "having a beer." I watched as they took their time, enjoying the beer and talking to friends. They could drink that beer and then stop after one or two. I was amazed!

I realized then and there, like a flash of lightning, that I truly am an alcoholic and always will be an alcoholic. I knew that if I had been drinking that I would have been face-down on the forest floor, sucking dead leaves up my nose within two hours time.

When I was drinking, I never had an off button. I always was waiting to hit rock bottom and then I realized THERE IS NO BOTTOM! YOU FALL FOREVER!

I know if I drink all of the hard work I have done in the past four years will go down the toilet. Sometimes it's hard to resist, but I would never want to be that unthinking, unknowing, shut-off person again. I love the me I am today because I took the chance to just be me, without a drink.

Well, much love to you all on this board. It's good to come around and see my fellows working hard on cultivating that peace of mind.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When I was drinking, I never had an off button.

Wow, same here.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR, De Pompadour
I know if I drink all of the hard work I have done in the past four years will go down the toilet. Sometimes it's hard to resist, but I would never want to be that unthinking, unknowing, shut-off person again. I love the me I am today because I took the chance to just be me, without a drink.
this is very true for me too

Good to have you aboard!
D
Old 06-17-2009, 07:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to the community and keep coming back!!
Old 06-17-2009, 08:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Soft & Silky & Manageable

"You're not an alcoholic, you just haven't found your liquor yet."
Sorry but LOL, I've heard THAT one before mate!

Then I went camping just about a year ago with some friends and observed them casually "having a beer." I watched as they took their time, enjoying the beer and talking to friends. They could drink that beer and then stop after one or two. I was amazed!
I know right? It totally sucks, in my personal opinion. Those b@$tards! But, we have to accept that we are alcoholics and we have to learn to live with it. Sad but true.
Doesn't mean we can't get just as much, if not MORE out of life being 'alcohol-free'.

Welcome to the board my new friend :ghug3
Old 06-17-2009, 09:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our community.....

Well done on your sober progress
Old 06-18-2009, 03:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SillyBilly View Post
Sorry but LOL, I've heard THAT one before mate!

I know right? It totally sucks, in my personal opinion. Those b@$tards! But, we have to accept that we are alcoholics and we have to learn to live with it. Sad but true.
I used to think like this when I was not 'totally ready' to give up drinking! Consequently I felt like I was consequently being torn apart by the devil on one shoulder and the angel on the other, the 'dry-drunk' if you like.
You need to lose this feeling of 'contempt' towards 'others' and their responsible drinking in-order for you to embrace sobriety as a way of life imho.
I never 'wanted' to drink responsibly anyhow... well whats the point?
I think attending AA meetings has helped me begin to actually feel a peace, serenity and liberation at watching others drink a few beers responsibly as I smile to myself and think how different I am to those "normal?" people.

Peace.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Congrats on your 4 yrs sober. I use AA in my recovery, AA helps me to stay sober. Keep posting.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family DePomp - you spoke many truths. I was determined to manage my intake so I could be like the others, too. There was a huge amount of resentment in the beginning, but it's lessening. I spent many years trying different ways of moderating & they all failed spectacularly!

I'm glad you took the chance to just be you - me too. I rather like me after all. Who knew?

Looking forward to hearing more from you. Sending love up there to beautiful NYC.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hiya DP

welcome to the family...
Old 06-18-2009, 05:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR
Old 06-18-2009, 05:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

welcome to sr.. im glad your here
Old 06-18-2009, 05:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
mergirl

you the funny thing is, I've never been around anyone who has one or 2 and stops. My family and friends all drink to excess or don't drink, mostly the former. I'm going to start looking out for these "normies", they must be a sight to behold!!
Old 06-18-2009, 06:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for the inspiration. This is going to be my mantra the next time alcoholism tries to trick me into having a beer:

I always was waiting to hit rock bottom and then I realized THERE IS NO BOTTOM! YOU FALL FOREVER!
Bad as it got for me, it could have gotten much worse. Thanks again.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I used to think like this when I was not 'totally ready' to give up drinking! Consequently I felt like I was consequently being torn apart by the devil on one shoulder and the angel on the other, the 'dry-drunk' if you like.
You need to lose this feeling of 'contempt' towards 'others' and their responsible drinking in-order for you to embrace sobriety as a way of life imho.
I never 'wanted' to drink responsibly anyhow... well whats the point?
I think attending AA meetings has helped me begin to actually feel a peace, serenity and liberation at watching others drink a few beers responsibly as I smile to myself and think how different I am to those "normal?" people.
Oh it was only a joke man but I'm not poo poo'ing anything you said. I'm embracing sobriety in all its glory and loving every minute of it.

But I appreciate your concern and thank you for taking the time.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DePompadour View Post
Hello Ladies and Gents,

When I was drinking, I never had an off button. I always was waiting to hit rock bottom and then I realized THERE IS NO BOTTOM! YOU FALL FOREVER!
Great first post I am also a fellow camping leaf sucker lol... with a switch that only goes one way "ON"

I also liked this "THERE IS NO BOTTOM! YOU FALL FOREVER!"

Welcome to SR

Old 06-18-2009, 10:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SillyBilly View Post
Oh it was only a joke man but I'm not poo poo'ing anything you said. I'm embracing sobriety in all its glory and loving every minute of it.

But I appreciate your concern and thank you for taking the time.

No worries dude, I didn't wish to come across all 'holier than thou' or anything and glad you didn't take it as such, hell, I'm only newly sober and still keeping the whole 'No more drinking alcohol ever' firmly rooted in the 'one day at a time' mantra.
I guess I commented because I was thinking about sobriety and others drinking alcohol in exactly that fashion, that was as little as two weeks ago!! I guess I am just pleased that I genuinly feel that my thinking towards drinking, and others drinking, has somehow changed, the resentment I once felt seems to have lifted but as they say "One day at a time!"

peace and Love, NEOMARXIST "Viva La Revolution."
Old 06-18-2009, 12:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the forum and glad you found us!
Old 06-18-2009, 01:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR!
Old 06-18-2009, 05:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NEOMARXIST View Post
No worries dude, I didn't wish to come across all 'holier than thou' or anything and glad you didn't take it as such, hell, I'm only newly sober and still keeping the whole 'No more drinking alcohol ever' firmly rooted in the 'one day at a time' mantra.
I guess I commented because I was thinking about sobriety and others drinking alcohol in exactly that fashion, that was as little as two weeks ago!! I guess I am just pleased that I genuinly feel that my thinking towards drinking, and others drinking, has somehow changed, the resentment I once felt seems to have lifted but as they say "One day at a time!"

peace and Love, NEOMARXIST "Viva La Revolution."
Don't give it a second thought brother
We're all in the same boat. And I'm STOKED you also have that genuine feeling of attitude-shift and change of mindset. Again, thank you for taking the time.

SR and UNITY forever :ghug3

Last edited by SillyBilly; 06-18-2009 at 06:18 PM. Reason: because I can't spell 'takeing' this early in the morning