Notices

Okay this was an unexpected test of my mind.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Beating this demon for GOOD

Okay this was an unexpected test of my mind.

I just dropped my daughter off to a local field for her hour of practice before her final softball game tonight. I usually will do that, then leave to do some quick errands and come back for the actual game within the hour. So I dropped her off per usual, went to the local bank to cash a check, then stopped by a local pharmacy right next door to pick up a new 12 pack of Pepsi since I am out, and a new lipstick and some eye shadow (my "treat" to myself for one week of sobriety, I'm going to try and do this for myself every week as both reward and incentive). Anyhow, while in line at the pharmacy to pay, I ran into two ladies who are on my co-ed softball team (hubby and myself), who were gearing up to head to the practice this evening, which both hubby and myself will not be able to attend (my stepson also has his final softball game, at a different field in a different town tonight). Both were carrying a 12 pack of beer each. Now understand, our new coach this year is VERY adamant that there will be absolutely NO drinking at practices, during or before practices or games, etc. He told all of us straight out, if your head is not in the game, YOU won't be either. He's very serious about this, which I think is a great thing. So why did it bother me so much to see these two ladies with beer enroute to practice tonight (truth be told, noone else but these two are still drinking at practice AND at games, all our other teammates are following the coaches' wishes)?? Granted, most of our teammates for softball DO drink alcohol, some more than others, some a LOT more than others, and I know I am in the league of not being able to drink period, no matter what. It's to the point where I am thinking it might even be a good idea for me to quit the team if it means being around them. I would still go to watch my hubby play like I always have (he's been playing on this team for many years, it's only year two for me, but I DO love to play). OTOH, it was a good test for me, as I was talking out loud enroute home, saying to myself, "never mind what THEY are doing, it's not your concern. You are NOT like them, or other people. You CANNOT drink like others, period. They can have a few then stop, you CANNOT. That's the reality, so deal with it." (I do suspect that there are more than a few folks on this team who may be well on their way to a drinking problem of their own, but that's up to them to decide, not me). I am trying not to judge others since I have become sober, so what others do on their own time should be of no concern to me unless it is hurting me.

But it did bug me a little, I will be honest about that. But I'm also proud that I could see it in my sober mind for what it is. A fact. I cannot drink any longer, no matter what. Case closed. Just needed to share and let this out. It did bother me a little. I'd be lying if I said it didn't. Thanks for reading.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Good for you, for resisting temptation. You are right - it's no one's business if other members of the team drink. It's up to the head of the team to call them on it - unless, of course, they do something really detrimental to the team due to drinking.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I wouldn't want a buzzed person swinging a bat in my vicinity.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're not letting it worry you - like you say what other ppl do is their business.
What we do is ours

I hope they were for after the practice tho...

D
Old 06-17-2009, 03:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SurviveIt View Post
I wouldn't want a buzzed person swinging a bat in my vicinity.
lol had to laugh at that

Newtosoberlivin: It sounds like you are dealing with things as they come & that you are having great inner dialogue. Congratulations on your road to recovery.

I find most anyone that is wasted or drunk (or close to it) very annoying... the only time I didn't was when I was too.

All of the best in your recovery,

NB
Old 06-17-2009, 04:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Good for you NB amazing how we see things more clearer when sober. Enjoy treating yourself, you definitely deserve it
Old 06-17-2009, 04:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hannitized

It used to bug me a lot when I saw people with booze and looking back, I think I was jealous. Note, I am not saying YOU were jealous. Just want to make that clear.

Today I saw a man reach for a case of beer at the grocery store and I felt pity for him. Isn't that strange? I guess I projected my alcoholism onto him. Could have gone the rest of my life without considering that moment but for this post.

Times change and you will too~

You are giving your daughter a great gift, your sober self.

And you have excellent taste in music~
Old 06-17-2009, 06:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Beating this demon for GOOD

Thanks all...

so great to have a place to come where everyone just REALLY understands. It's like a Godsend, really.

I'm back to feeling fine, actually better than fine. I had a ton of laughs with a friend of mine (another girl's mom from the field). She had me in stitches, literally!!! We shared a lot of laughs!! And again, it was so nice to sit right next to her, face to face, no fear of any booze on my breath (only Pepsi! lol!). But the stories we exchanged!! I think we were both almost crying with laughter!!!

Now, after my hubby came home to proudly announce that my stepson's team (which he has coached all season along with two other men) WON their final game WOOT, I shooed him off to the local eatery to celebrate with the rest of the coaches and the team. He didn't want to at first, but I gave him a tap on his butt and told him to go and have fun celebrating, he and they have earned it!!!

So my daughter, even though her team didn't win, is still quite happy as she got up to bat quite a few times and did VERY well by scoring a number of runs (and I'm quite proud of her!) gets to stay up later than usual to watch something on Discovery Science, and I am on here catching up with all of you wonderful people and listening to my beloved Zeppelin on youtube in the background!!! Very nice evening indeed!!!

LibertyorDeath, thanks for the compliment about my taste in music! Both my hubby and I ADORE Led Zeppelin! They are hands down our very favorite band!!! Not another band has ever come close, nor will there ever be, in my very honest opinion.