Notices

Exercise has to be the best cure

Old 06-17-2009, 10:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exercise has to be the best cure

At least for me it is. It seems when I exercise that things come more into focus. And the harder I drive myself, the better I feel about myself. I do alot of hiking and it helps me more than any other thing to stay sober. When my heart starts to really rev up and my shirt is drenched with sweat(I know, not exactly a flattering image)...that is when I can feel the poison leaving through my pores and my mind filtering out all the temptations. Its when I am idle...that I am in trouble. When I am bored or not doing something that demands full attention physically and mentally. I just gotta say, for me, exercise has been a big contributor to my staying sober and I hope others out there give it a try and see if it works for them.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I ride bicycle, I have for decades... I am at 9 months sober... I still ride, maybe not like when I was in my 30's... but I'll still ride 15 - 20 miles at lunch.

It is a constant in my life... It has been there through thick and thin... And it helps me greatly... the endorphins, when they get going, my head gets into a place where I can break through issues that are blocking me.

So yea, I get what you are saying... Hiking is awesome too... Getting set for our annual Maine vacation. We always hike a couple of good mountains every year. Been doing it a while, now we go back and do one we already have. Love it... The sweaty shirts, yea...

Mark
Old 06-17-2009, 10:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree. Even when I find it hard to get off the couch if i force myself up and out i feel 400% times better when I am done doing something active.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanks for posting on this topic... I'm a fitness zealot... lol.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Today is my 17th day sober and I thought I would go the gym tonight. I got all my stuff ready before I went to work but instead I have had a headache and felt just rundown all day, so did not go. I was really geared up as I know exercise does me good. I just hope it is a 24 hour virus thing so I can go tomorrow.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just this month I decided I had to get back in shape and I've been sober almost 2 years. I lost all energy when I got sober and sat around eating massive amounts of M&Ms and basically anything else chocolate, I gained 30 pounds but I was practically anorexic when I was drinking. So I've now lost 10 of the 30 pounds and even though I'm 52 I've started to see the inches (or fragments thereof) start to melt away in just a couple of weeks of daily routine exercising. My son-in-law teaches a martial arts class and a boxing class and starting next week he is also going to be my personal trainer. I just finally got tired of all the aches and pains that accompany being LAZY and I'm going to be the hottest looking and SOBER grandma in Texas!
Old 06-17-2009, 12:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by ThirstForLife View Post
At least for me it is. It seems when I exercise that things come more into focus. And the harder I drive myself, the better I feel about myself. I do alot of hiking and it helps me more than any other thing to stay sober. When my heart starts to really rev up and my shirt is drenched with sweat(I know, not exactly a flattering image)...that is when I can feel the poison leaving through my pores and my mind filtering out all the temptations. Its when I am idle...that I am in trouble. When I am bored or not doing something that demands full attention physically and mentally. I just gotta say, for me, exercise has been a big contributor to my staying sober and I hope others out there give it a try and see if it works for them.

Hi,

I haven't worked out in a long time. I just joined the gym last week. I notice sometimes if I wake up upset or in a horrible mood, after I work out I feel better.

It's hard getting there if you're feeling sh*tty, but once you get there and get into it, it's worth it. I was never crazy about working out, but I love it now. It gets alot of the anger and frustration out.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah, it really is beneficial on so many levels. Not least of which it cost zero to do(unless you want to join a gym or something along those lines). I usually just find some hiking trails...and there are plenty here in Texas...and take off from there. The fresh air, the peace and tranquility of the outdoors...its just something that helps me get centered and fight the things that are continually trying to drag me down.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I love my exercising. I'm addicted go figure lol. I love to run but I have been doing it for so long that running has become painful. I am almost 50 but so can't give up running. Have started spinning. Also love when I am drenched. It doesn't seem like a great work out unless I am soaked. Trying to do more weights than cardio, some say it is better for you.

Like Cubicle said those natural drugs (endorphins) are great. I do think more should try it. Some say they are too tired but most of the time it will give you more energy.

Exercising actually helped with the hangovers which probably wasn't a good thing since it allowed me to drink for a longer period of time. I had about a 7 or 8 year drinking career and probably would have gotten to the end sooner.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I always feel better after exercising. I like to mix it up with biking, weights, pilates, hiking, golf.....
Old 06-17-2009, 04:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree 100%, for me its aa and exercise, I had a shite day yesterday just woke up (after dreaming of drinking) and wanted to drink. I weight trained in the morning, hit a meeting at lunch, then an hour cardio in the afternoon. Then treated myself to a HUGE Chinese meal. I had a good sleep and feel 100% today. I have trained for years (through my drinking career) but the results I getting from it sober are just so much better.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
mergirl

I am "forced" (I mean lucky enough ha!) to have to walk 10-15 miles a day for work. Most nights I am just to dang tired to worry about drinking, bills, jerks or any other nonsense
Old 06-17-2009, 04:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

I've seen this written so often and allways just rolled my eyes. Whatever!!

Well, where I moved happens to have a workout center only about a mile from the house. So I started riding my bike over there and doing cardio and some weight work...and I'm really liking it!!!

So much stuff that I have discounted or "just wasn't for me" is now coming into focus. I guess it's like is says under my avitar, "I'm not all better, but getting better". I haven't really been able to say that and mean if for a long time.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I just want to mention that all of us fitness fans need to be on a premium food intake program.

Work that body, and work it hard, and be sure to feed it premium fuel.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Tommy I am on 6 meals a day and eating like a beast, heaps of supps as well, its winter here so I looking to put on about 12lbs.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It's when I am idle...that I am in trouble. When I am bored or not doing something that demands full attention physically and mentally. I just gotta say, for me, exercise has been a big contributor to my staying sober and I hope others out there give it a try and see if it works for them.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

I was very active before my addiction took over my desire to stay that way. I maintained my figure through a drug diet. Sounds super healthy, hm?

Now things have been picking up again. I was walking 45 minutes each way to my AA meetings, and now I reserve about an hour each way to bike to and from NA. ...and now I'm back to loving it! When I'm on the bike, I feel normal and healthy again. I feel like I'm back in the flow of things, and I have to say that most of the ride is just so beautiful, especially riding down the length of the river that runs though my city. Exercise. A very, very good thing.

Extra virgin olive oil, lots of veggies, fresh fruit, grains, some pasta, some protein...and coffee with milk. Like a good little Tuscan. LOL.

Slowly but surely, feeling better, getting back in the game.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I couldn't agree more. Going to the gym and working out is an essential part of my sobriety. Although I love the physical benefits, the mental/emotional benefits are amazing. After a tough day at work all it takes is a nice long workout to lift my mood. I'm definitely addicted to the workout high- go figure! That AND shoppers high...haha.