Language of Letting Go - June 17 - Surrender

Old 06-17-2009, 02:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - June 17 - Surrender

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Surrender

Master the lessons of your present circumstances.

We do not move forward by resisting what is undesirable in our life today. We move forward, we grow, we change by acceptance.

Avoidance is not the key; surrender opens the door.

Listen to this truth: We are each in our present circumstances for a reason. There is a lesson, a valuable lesson that must be learned before we can move forward.

Something important is being worked out in us, and in those around us. We may not be able to identify it today; but we can know that it is important. We can know it is good.

Overcome not by force, overcome by surrender. The battle is fought, and won, inside ourselves. We must go through it until we learn, until we accept, until we become grateful, until we are set free.

Today, I will be open to the lessons of my present circumstances. I do not have to label, know, or understand what I'm learning; I will see clearly in time. For today, trust and gratitude are sufficient.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

The worst day of my life and the best day of my life, were the same day.

My "bottom" came after driving to a city an hour away and threatening to kick down a crack house door if they didn't send my son out (not my style, and a codie could get killed doing something this stupid). He came out, I spent the night on his couch, then in the morning I drove home and he went back to the crackhouse.

On the drive home, I started to cry and pulled off the highway. I remember telling God "Okay, I'm done, You take him now, he's all yours". I felt immediate relief (my first spiritual experience?) and KNEW that my son would be in good hands.

Nothing I had done or not done had made a whit of difference. Nothing I said, or didn't say, all the mother's love in the world could not save him but "God could and would if He were sought."

Surrender, for me, was letting go of my old codependent ways, an ending of sorts that let me focus on new beginnings...ME and my recovery.

I will always be grateful that God was there the moment I was ready to just give it all up to Him.

Hugs
Old 06-17-2009, 04:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, thank you, thank you.... yet another light bulb moment for me. Your sharing and showing the light is something that I am and for which I will be forever grateful.