Notices

Am I Four Weeks Sober Or Not???

Old 06-16-2009, 12:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I Four Weeks Sober Or Not???

Ok so apparently I have started a treatment program for alcohol dependence, the length of the program is five weeks, and i am in my fifth week--and scared out of my mind....At first i thought that once i had gotten 5 weeks of sobriety under my belt surely i would be wonder woman (i havnt been sober for longer than 2 days in 3 years)......Alright so moving on to my question, The weekend of week 2 (memorial day weekend) I went to one too many bar-b-cues and ended up giving in to my cravings. Confessed to my group and got some additional medication. Then week three happened.....went to a party...drunk a little there....finished the rest off at home (my girlfriend left her shot bottles in my car), then more the next day. Yes i feel extremely stupid and guilty, but still like maybe it was supposed to happen. Overall I feel great because like i said---i've stopped my get slautered every evening routine.
So now im rounding the end of my treatment and i kinda feel like i should do two more weeks to make up for the weeks i messed up. I dont want to drink anymore, ever!! other things fueled my lapses those weeks also, for instance a huge fight with my husband--Not that im making excuses but im just trying to think it through. Alright so before i write a mini novel i guess my point is that I would feel a lot better and stronger if i had a solid four weeks of sobriety--------Anyone else been through this????

Last edited by IamSashaFierce; 06-16-2009 at 12:33 PM. Reason: wrong smile
Old 06-16-2009, 12:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It sounds like you are doing great. Keep going and you will get a full 4 weeks and more. I am at almost 11 months and have not felt like super woman yet. I think our expectations are just stop drinking and everything will be roses. That is really not true but as time goes by it gets alot better.

I think you should count from the last time you drank for your actual sobriety date but you can also say I have been recovering for 4+ weeks.

Keep posting and it will get easier. Some of the people here are very knowledgeable.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Well, it took me many tries to stop drinking and lots of us have trouble with relapses. I'm glad you don't want to drink anymore, but for me, a relapse is a relapse. I do understand what you said about feeling better if you had four weeks of sobriety. It's up to you to decide what your quit date is.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Heathen

I consider myself sober since my last drink.. most people do.

Congrats on the time you have tho!!!
Old 06-16-2009, 01:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

My sober date is the day after my last drink/drug, meaning my first day sober.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

"To Thine own self be true"

Congratulations on your progress
Old 06-16-2009, 05:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I count my sober days from the day after my last drink. I think the point of sobriety is 'continuous' sobriety, not just weekday sobriety. If I were you I'd start counting from the day after my last drink. YOu'll have four weeks, and more, before you know it. Just don't drink one day at a time. Those days add up fast too...

Welcome to a great place for support and information!
Old 06-16-2009, 06:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think for MOST OF US we've stumbled. This is a process. Progress not perfection. If you're WILLING to do the work, you will get there. Now that you're going to a program I'm sure you'll learn a lot and things will fall into place.

As for the drinking, that's a relapse. Pat yourself on the back for the days you had in between. Get up, brush yourself and keep on keeping on. Best of luck on your journey.

Two years ago I never thought I'd stay sober past a month. It does get easier.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

njoy being sober and focus on that, each day is a victory
Old 06-16-2009, 07:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I dont count anymore. I am always back at square one every few months.
Plus its too much pressure to me.

I say whatever YOU think you should do.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thanks guys...i reeeeaally like this site, I love my meetings but now that theyre ending i feel like iwill need them even more....this provides a great alternative!

Since my last relapse was weekend two i think i can safely say i am 2 1/2 weeks sober and counting. I think i will also focus on alternative activities on the weekends, which is really hard during the summer. But i do see a pattern with the relapses---

Im still kinda weak when surrounded by the substance. No more get togethers!!
Well, until im strong enough that is......Thanks for listening!
Old 06-17-2009, 07:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Hey Sasha, welcome to SR, have you thought about AA or some other face to face recovery program?

BTW good idea of simply resetting your sobriety date, honesty is one of the main keys to long term sobriety.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

!!!!! What Taz said...... (o:

I believe the number for Atlanta AA Intergroup is.....: 404-636-8044; at least that's what it used to be. So, if you're interested in AA in Atlanta, or even one of the suburbs, they're the folks to call and ask.

NoelleR
Old 06-17-2009, 06:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you Sasha!

It sounds like you're making some good decisions.