OT: confesssion time

Old 06-16-2009, 04:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT: confesssion time

i've only told a couple of people on here - guess i was waiting to see how it went but I've been seeing someone for about a month now. Its someone i've known for almost 20 years and did date for a little while many years ago but the time wasnt right for either of us then. He is a recovered alcoholic but has been sober for 15 years so has been a great support of what i've been going through with AS - he is truly at a place of peace - very spiritual - and even though he has no desire to drink anymore still goes to meetings. I was really scared at first because even though its been two years since my husband left i had really gotten comfortable with being alone. He was a confirmed bachelor (his friends are all teasing him about this now) he was very happy with being alone but confessed that all these years he had still held feelings for me. His sister is my best friend and I've known and loved his entire family for many many years. I've always been like a member of their family and they've all hoped for years that the two of us would be together so i could be "official." His friends (who i was so nervous to meet) welcomed and accepted me immediately because they saw how happy he was.

only concern i have with all of it is him moving too fast but he understands that i cant make commitments fast so has promised to give me time. He lives a couple hours away so that helps keep things a little slower. For so long i was alone and was fine with it - i'm really glad that i took that time alone but now it does feel like i'm finally started to get my own life back and that there may actually be another chance for me to have love in my life. I cant tell you ladies how nice it is to be with someone you can trust who is drama free - he has a good job, very responsible, doesnt use, helps his family, doesnt want me to take care of him or fix his problems just spend time with him but mostly he treats me like a queen and my DD adores him. (Ladies - there are good men out there.) I myself am glad that he went through all he did when he was younger because without AA i dont think he would have turned into the peaceful man that he is today. He has tought me so much about serenity and helps me understand my AS a great deal. He is a much better man today than he was when we were younger - just like i'm a different person then i was back then.

Okay so the confirmed bachlorette has a boyfriend. Now i just have to figure out how to tell my parents because i was adament about staying alone. Guess yet again i'm going to have to eat my words.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Winnie,

This is so awesome!!! I think this is your soul-mate, he sounds perfect. I am so happy for you. Take your time and just enjoy being a queen. LOL
Old 06-16-2009, 04:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I think it's wonderful that you have someone to care for and who cares for you. You have been through so much lately and having someone in real life to confide in and enjoy good times together is such a help. The fact that you already know him and his family is also a plus. I hope the two of you continue to be happy and eventually, who knows?!

Funny though...no matter how old we get, we still get a bit nervous when we have to tell our parents. LOL!
Old 06-16-2009, 04:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think this is very on-topic Winnie because this is surely a by-product of right living for you, hon! :ghug :ghug
Old 06-16-2009, 05:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

:ghug3
Old 06-16-2009, 05:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you -- it is wonderful and I think as parents - yours too -- all we really want is for our children to be healthy and happy
Old 06-16-2009, 06:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What a wonderful confession. I'm so happy for you, you deserve some respite from the insanity. You go girl. (I bet your parents will be pleased as punch, too).
Old 06-16-2009, 07:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing Winnie. I just know your parents will be as happy as we are for
you!
Old 06-16-2009, 07:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Okay, now that the secret is out, CONGRATULATIONS!!
Old 06-16-2009, 07:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
learning to live for me

Congrats Winnie! Everyone deserves those nervous-fun butterflies when they've found someone that really makes them happy and want the world to know it. I agree---TOTALLY On-Topic Boo!!
-Love,
Holly
Old 06-16-2009, 07:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Good for you ((((Winnie)))
I think for many of us, stepping outside of our role as parent and allowing ourselves to be adults is a big step.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good for you Winnie! Thanks for sharing the news!
Old 06-16-2009, 08:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

yea winnie, I'm happy for you:ghug3

Enjoy the man, enjoy yourself. Finding a partner that you can have a 'honest' relationship with is beautiful....................

Love,
cess
Old 06-16-2009, 08:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

What a WONDERFUL confession. And certainly not Off Topic at all.

This is a part of what Al-Anon and Naranon are all about. Our individual 'healing' so that we can get on with the business of Living Life on Life's Terms and having peace, serenity, and yes JOY in our lives.

You go girl!!!!! Since this long time friend and now maybe more, is abiding by your wishes of 'going slow', that in itself shows great RESPECT for you. Sounds like he may have his feet firmly planted on the ground and is following his feet (something our sponsors remind us of in recovery, a way of staying in today).

I am happy for you. As to 'telling your parents', lol well they'll figure it out eventually, lmao.

And I have a funny feeling, that down the road he will be an excellent 'example' for your son to see.

Love and hugs,
Old 06-16-2009, 09:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

OMG Anvil you sound like my daughter!!! that's what i've been listening to for weeks from her. haha you have the maturity of an 11 yo - lol
Old 06-16-2009, 12:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

i think this is very good. i married mr. hope 12yrs ago. he was (is) a recoving herion addict, clean for 15 yrs. he went to the jail while my a.s. was there to carry the message. i met him through my a.s. my story has not ended well as my son never quit using but mr. hope has been my life line, my everything. i wish i had listened to him when he tried to tell me about the enableing of addicts. mr. hope shines everyday. i know there are miracles & i never give up hope. bless you both,
Old 06-16-2009, 03:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It's nice to know there are still some good guys out there - just wish I knew some of them!
Old 06-16-2009, 06:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good for you, hon! Enjoy. Someday....... sigh! HUGS
Old 06-16-2009, 07:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

That is wonderful news!!!!!!! Thank you for sharing!!!
Old 06-16-2009, 08:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Winnie, Congratulations!