Notices

learning to live without benzos and booze

Old 06-13-2009, 05:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

learning to live without benzos and booze

Hello SR, I am new to this site, not exactly new to recovery...Im 24 years old and have using/abusing a number of substances since ive been 18 years old. Ive been to rehab twice, 28 days each time and learned a good amount there. I know what i need to do stay sober, i just have a problem in accepting the fact that i can no longer party at such a young age, i guess i tend to romance the whole thing way more than i should considering ive hit bottom more than a few times. Two years ago i overdosed on a combination of opiates, benzos and alcohol and basically its a miracle i am even here trying this right now. Theres no one substance i am dependent on, but i guess you could say im most attracted to downers, opiates sometimes, but mostly just benzos and alcohol. In the past it was not rare for me to eat 4mg of xanax and polish of a bottle of irish whiskey, resulting in two dwis and extensive legal problems...Lately ive been trying to get sober but seem to not be able to get more than two weeks at a time...Sorry for rambling im just trying to get this off my chest...the real question i have is what are some of the symptoms you guys had when getting sober? My digestive track has def. been to hell and back a few times over and my anxiety is spiked 100 fold whenever i begin to get clean...I dont have insurance so i cant get checked out as i already have hospital bills piled up that i need to take care of....I guess im just looking for some peace of mind, my anxiety likes to tell me my panic attacks are heart problems and my digestive problems is pancreatic cancer or something of that sort..if someone could tell me what they went thru the first week or two sober it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
13 May 2009

Hi Yankees24, I am not experienced enough to give you any advice, there will be some experienced SR members along shortly who will give you some help in terms of what to expect and their experiences. You did the right thing coming on to the site and every time you feel the need I would recommend hoping on it has helped me enourmously.

I have only been sober a month this is my third serious attempt, in terms of symptoms I think it depends what you are detoxing from I have never abused benzos and how long and serious your additction has been. I certainly had horrendous muscle cramping, gastric and stomach problems don't forget the ANXIETY, but you will get some advice on that from others.

AA has helped me, maybe its not for you, but it does arm you with a lot of knowledge and help you get a plan together.

STAY STRONG & SIT TIGHT!!
Old 06-13-2009, 05:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by yankees24 View Post
Hello SR, I am new to this site, not exactly new to recovery...Im 24 years old and have using/abusing a number of substances since ive been 18 years old. Ive been to rehab twice, 28 days each time and learned a good amount there. I know what i need to do stay sober, i just have a problem in accepting the fact that i can no longer party at such a young age, i guess i tend to romance the whole thing way more than i should considering ive hit bottom more than a few times. Two years ago i overdosed on a combination of opiates, benzos and alcohol and basically its a miracle i am even here trying this right now. Theres no one substance i am dependent on, but i guess you could say im most attracted to downers, opiates sometimes, but mostly just benzos and alcohol. In the past it was not rare for me to eat 4mg of xanax and polish of a bottle of irish whiskey, resulting in two dwis and extensive legal problems...Lately ive been trying to get sober but seem to not be able to get more than two weeks at a time...Sorry for rambling im just trying to get this off my chest...the real question i have is what are some of the symptoms you guys had when getting sober? My digestive track has def. been to hell and back a few times over and my anxiety is spiked 100 fold whenever i begin to get clean...I dont have insurance so i cant get checked out as i already have hospital bills piled up that i need to take care of....I guess im just looking for some peace of mind, my anxiety likes to tell me my panic attacks are heart problems and my digestive problems is pancreatic cancer or something of that sort..if someone could tell me what they went thru the first week or two sober it would be greatly appreciated.
Hey fellow NY'er here

Just wanted to say hi, and welcome. I understand what you're saying about feeling panicky when you feel something is wrong with you. Whenever I would feel that way, I would pick up a drink. I can't do that anymore, so I feel kind of lost. I have digestive problems too, so I really feel for you on that. I too, always think of the worst.

I used to drink very heavily, and I know that added to my digestive problems, so I am trying to take care of myself as much as possible right now, and it's great you took a first step and reached out on here.

Luckily when I got sober, I didn't have any physical withdrawls, but everyone is different. I know what they are like though, I've had them after going on a binge. My hands would shake and I would feel really dizzy and nauseaus. I also got leg tremors once or twice. I quit drinking about 7 weeks ago. I dealt more with the mental withdrawal then anything else. The anxiety and depression came back full force. I had feelings of dread and just feeling stuck, not knowing what to do. I still have my bad days, but those feelings are starting to lift slowly. Now I am starting to get myself involved in things, and I've started working out. It's a struggle, but I am trying, I'm sure you can do it too. Keep reading and posting on here. You will get tons of useful information, and lots of support.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Midwest Center - Home

it's a life saver. i have it & it works
Old 06-13-2009, 05:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome to SR.

So far your situation is a horror story in the making.

I love to see you get help before finding your bottom... I have a feeling it could be VERY low.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi! Everything you're feeling is perfectly normal. I had huge anxiety & felt like I was going to jump out of my skin those first few days off alcohol. Shaking, sweating, sleeplessness - it all came to an end after a couple days. I went to the dr for something to help me stay calm while I detoxed and he wouldn't give me anything, so I was on my own. (He said my liver had already sustained enough damage.) The good news is, once it's over, that can be it - you never have to go through that process ever again.

I understand how you feel about being so young - but that kind of thinking is what kept me drinking into middle age & leaving a trail of destruction and chaos behind me. That includes ruined health, relationships, 3 DUIs, even a few days in the Womens Correctional Institute. It's important to be careful when withdrawing because your blood pressure will probably shoot up & you could have a seizure or stroke. I don't want to add to your anxiety - I just wish you could see someone or even go to the ER.

Let us know how you're doing - we care & want to help you begin your new life.
Go Yankees
Old 06-13-2009, 05:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can relate to the digestive stuff--the pain goes away but I still have a bunch of ulcers (8 months sober) that are healing slowly. I would google free clinics in your area and also check out 12-step recovery programs, you can meet people from your area who would have a better idea where you could get cheap or free treatment. I have seen doctors in AA treat those in need for free too. Bottom line is you need some level of professional care, even if you can't afford it. Also, withdrawing from Xanax and/or alcohol can be life-threating when done alone.
I am 24 too and I used to like to romance alcohol and drugs but it is all complete BS. That kind of thinking tends to be illusory and comes from an unwillingness to accept the world as it--and this feeds the disease of addiction--where no matter how bad our consequences get our solution to the problem is always the same: just to eat some more xany or whatever and deal with our problems later. It is very difficult to break this at first. I would hit some meetings and look for anything that clicks and don't worry about the rest. Good luck finding something.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for their concern and taking the time to listen to my situation...The stories of hope and horror i find on here both are helping me out already and i just found this website today. As far as a medical detox goes, i dont believe that one will be neccesary as today is 5 days without alcohol, which i previously had 14 days clean from but lost due to a "slip" i had on sunday which i attribute to my "xanax maintenance program". I was taking about half a bar here and there to free myself from the biggest beast in my eyes, [alcohol]...Its now been 4 days without any benzo. and today is the first day i wasent on the verge of panic, and im hoping the worst is over. I know i will stay away from alcohol for good, i just cant take what its doing to me both mentally and physically anymore. Its the pills that always seem to whipser in my ears everynow and than but they are no better and almost ALWAYS lower my inhibitons enough to grab that first drink. Now its all about making it through the summer clean and sober which i am so looking foward to. I am staying in again tonight and will continue to embrace the boredom if i must over a temptation to "party". Man if people only saw my party the next AM!!! Again, thank you all so much, your support is appreciated more than you know.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Yankees,

If you have anymore concerns about your health, please go to an ER. But, you are probably through the worst of it now and I hope you start to feel better. I had huge anxiety when I stopped drinking. Well, I had the anxiety issues long before I began drinking, but it was almost unbearable for me when I stopped drinking.

I hope you recognize the addict voice in your head that is trying to mess with you, and stay focused on your recovery.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
13 May 2009

Hey Yankees24, How are you doing?