Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Substance Abusers
Reload this Page >

Language of Letting Go - June 13 - Hanging on to Old Relationships

Old 06-13-2009, 03:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Hanging on to Old Relationships

We want to travel baggage-free on this journey. It makes the trip easier.

Some of the baggage we can let go of is lingering feelings and unfinished business with past relationships: anger, resentments, feelings of victimization, hurt, or longing.

If we have not put closure on a relationship, if we cannot walk away in peace, we have not yet learned our lesson. That may mean we will have to have another go around with that lesson before we are ready to move on.

We may want to do a Fourth Step (a written inventory of our relationships) and a Fifth Step (an admission of our wrongs). What feelings did we leave with in a particular relationship? Are we still carrying those feelings around? Do we want the heaviness and impact of that baggage on our behavior today?

Are we still feeling victimized, rejected, or bitter about something that happened two, five, ten, or even twenty years ago?

It may be time to let it go. It may be time to open ourselves to the true lesson from that experience. It may be time to put past relationships to rest, so we are free to go on to new, more rewarding experiences.

We can choose to live in the past, or we can choose to finish our old business from the past and open ourselves to the beauty of today.

Let go of your baggage from past relationships.

Today, I will open myself to the cleansing and healing process that will put closure on yesterday and open me to the best today, and tomorrow, has to offer in my relationships.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

this is a big one for me
Old 06-13-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have a copy of The Language of Letting Go and really love it. I read it each morning and have for some time. I must be rereading it for the third or fourth time now, but it is interesting to see how parts mean different things to me at different times.

Anyway, I really love the book, and thought I'd post here to bump this thread for the day.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great bump, DG! This is something I'm really struggling with right now, and it was good for me to read this today. Thanks!
Old 06-13-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

This message was good in 2009 and it's good today. Carrying resentments and anger about old relationships that are no more, means weighing myself down with stuff that only hurts me.

Today I travel light. If I feel anger or resentment over an old relationship, I give pause to think about why I am feeling this now, today when the past is behind me and I usually find that I never quite let go all the way, I just loosened my grasp.

Shaking loose today, working through the pain and moving on, traveling light.

Hugs