Dumb question...

Old 06-12-2009, 07:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dumb question...

This may seem dumb, but just seeing what the thoughts are...

When a person finds themselves facing a DUI (first one), does that mean they have crossed over to alcoholism or just having a one time stupid decision?

A aquaintance just recently got one, lost his license for a month and now has a breathalizer on the car for a few weeks. He likes his beer, but seems to be functioning fine.

Thoughts??
Old 06-12-2009, 07:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There are plenty of non-alcoholics who have gotten a DUI, and plenty of alcoholics who never got one.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Su**endering...

Not enough information. I know if I'd ever gotten a DUI I would have seriously looked at myself and my drinking. (or any other serious alcohol-related incident, for that matter)
Old 06-12-2009, 08:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm growing

A DUI is not an indicator of alcoholism.

A aquaintance just recently got one, lost his license for a month and now has a breathalizer on the car for a few weeks. He likes his beer, but seems to be functioning fine
People let you see only what they want you to see.

Just ask my friends who work with my AH. They really find it amazing!
Old 06-12-2009, 09:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My ABF got a DUI last year and has curbed his drinking, but not stopped. He has had to do communtiy service, classes, and many many fines are involved. He says he is a "social drinker" but the level of alcohol in his system and the years of same pattern lead me to believe otherwise, and yes mine functions fine too, goes to work everyday, does not drink & drive now, but all the classes he has had to attend have changed him drastically and I am not sure if he is using his newfound knowledge as an excuse to leave me for a new life or if he will start to see his faults soon.......depends on his long term habits .....

hang in there
Old 06-13-2009, 05:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Regardless, he has a problem with his drinking, because his drinking is causing problems. It's hard to argue that a DUI and losing a license isn't a problem.

CLMI
Old 06-13-2009, 06:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't know that one DUI means alcoholism. 8 does.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
There are plenty of non-alcoholics who have gotten a DUI, and plenty of alcoholics who never got one.
Agreed.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
1 Corinthians 13:1-13 love

My AH has never had a DUI. He is 46. A good example of choices made: When he goes to the bar after work he drinks only so much there and he chooses the bar that is very close to home so he has to drive less. He gets his vodka at the liquor store right there and drinks himself drunk once he is home. I can't tell you how much he has at the bar or how drunk he is when leaving it. I don't have a clue. I just know the difference from when he walks in the door to a half hour to an hour later when he is hitting the vodka at home.

However, as progression happens he has choosen to go to bars that are further away from home that won't be passed by by family members or see neighbors who might be at that bar.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

My AH never got a DUI (that I'm aware of) but then he never went to bars. Total at home isolation drinking, for 20 years.

In the end, before I left, he was offering to drive my daughter places when he was so drunk he could barely stand. This disease is progressive.

That said, I know people who are definitely not alcoholics that have gotten DUI's. Two drinks on Memorial Day, then getting into a vehicle is enough to go over the legal limit in most states.