Notices

Hi, I'm new here

Old 06-12-2009, 07:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Hi, I'm new here

Hi. My name is Michelle and I am an alcoholic. Today is my 12th day sober. The first week was very difficult (understatement) going through detox. I started my outpatient treatment this week and I am feeling really good! I have been staying with my Mom and Dad, who assisted me through my detox, and I was under medical care. My Mom has been terrific and just driven me all over, to doctors', to my treatment, the hospital the first day, to the store, you name it. Just taking things slow and as easy as possible. I was scared to death at first, but I started feeling much better about two days ago.

I'm just wondering how to make new friends that are sober that I can go and enjoy doing things with. All of my friends drink, and my two closest friends, while they are planning out things they can do with me that don't involve drinking at all (two really GREAT friends!) It's not like I expect them to do that all the time, they are not alcoholics like me. (Not even remotely!)

I saw this site and thought this might be a good place to start. Then I can at least have online friends I could talk and share with.

So, that's it for now!
Old 06-12-2009, 07:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know you are planning on a sober healthy future.
Welcome to SR....
Old 06-12-2009, 07:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Hi Michelle
welcome to SR
I am glad you found us
congratulations on your 12 days sober!
It is wonderful to hear that you have the support of your family..
Old 06-12-2009, 08:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!

It will take some time to make your new sober friends. But you will... Take your time, make sobriety your priority and the rest will follow.

What sort of non drinking activities do you like?

AA is a good place to meet non-drinkers! There are other face to face recovery groups out there also... you can get some of that info in the stickies.

Mark
Old 06-12-2009, 08:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Congrats Michelle and welcome to SR
Old 06-12-2009, 08:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad you're here! Congrats on 12 days.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks!

I'll look at the stickies!

I'm not in a rush... but I appreciate the reminder to keep my recovery #1.

I am planning on avoiding certain things I used to do were the alcohol is prevelant. I used to love going tubing down the river... but that is just a party. (I'm in Arizona.) So, I was thinking of starting small when I get back out to doing things and am back at my home again. I thought maybe find someone to see a movie with, there is a great Mexican place near my house that I love and they don't serve alcohol. Or maybe go see an art show, or even the Phoenix Zoo. There are a LOT of people I am just not going to be able to be around anymore.

I just wanted to share something valuable that I learned in my class today. Maybe someone else might see it and it might help them. I haven't thought about drinking again, but I think it will enter my mind at some point. I'm getting all of the right tools to help me, but I think it was important today. I hid my drinking so severely. And my counselor said today if I ever feel any urge, pick up the phone, call someone, and TELL ON MYSELF! I CAN DO THAT!

I hope I didn't just write too much. (I feel insecure quite often.)

But....
Old 06-13-2009, 08:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Michelle, I thought I welcomed you yesterday... must have done it spiritually instead of physically.

Welcome to SR :ghug
Old 06-13-2009, 08:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Beating this demon for GOOD

Michelle

Welcome and a huge congrats to you on 12 days of sobriety!!!! So glad that you found us and so happy to hear that you have such a wonderful support in your family!! Keep up the great work, and good for you for realizing and having the foresite and intelligence to not want to be around those that drink and might tempt you! As someone else has said, AA is a GREAT place to meet other non-drinkers and befriend them. And it is also great advice to check out the stickies!

Good job!!!
Old 06-13-2009, 09:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have friends who don't drink but hang out watching shows at bars or hanging around with our other friends who do drink. I asked one once, how can you do that and not drink? She said it took her a long time before she was able to get to that point, so don't worry. If you have to avoid people that drink for a while, small price to pay for not destroying your own life. It's my second day this time around. Good luck, and good for you getting into detox.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Michelle and Welcome!!
Congrats on your 10 days! This is a very good source for meeting online sober friends. Come hang out in chat here sometime and you can get to know some of us better. For me I made many sober friends through AA that are a lot of fun to do things with. AA is large and I was able to meet people of similar background and interests. Both SR and AA now are important recovery tools for me.

Glad you are here!
Old 06-13-2009, 11:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Originally Posted by Michelle312 View Post
I'll look at the stickies!

I'm not in a rush... but I appreciate the reminder to keep my recovery #1.

I just wanted to share something valuable that I learned in my class today. Maybe someone else might see it and it might help them. I haven't thought about drinking again, but I think it will enter my mind at some point. I'm getting all of the right tools to help me, but I think it was important today. I hid my drinking so severely. And my counselor said today if I ever feel any urge, pick up the phone, call someone, and TELL ON MYSELF! I CAN DO THAT!

I hope I didn't just write too much. (I feel insecure quite often.)
Michelle, You can never write too much, ha ha. :ghug3
Do you go to AA? That's a great place to work on your sobriety and also meet people who live close to you. Good luck and
Old 06-13-2009, 11:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard! You have a "world" of experience, strength, and hope at your fingertips... The only stupid questions are the ones not asked..... We are all here for you....
Old 06-13-2009, 11:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

hello michelle and welcome.im charmian and im an alki too! i have made many great friends here on sr and at first i spent alot of time in the chat room.i am actually going to visit sober friends i have made on sr soon on a fabulous trip! like others have suggested AA is a great place to meet sober people also.i was what i would call a hopeless alcoholic,and i could not stop and stay stopped on my own.AA also offers a fabulous recovery programme too,,my life just keeps getting better and better! im turning into the person i always wanted to be and never was because of my boozing! welcome again and congrats on your sober time.keep us posted.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the 12 days sober! I am new also and today was my first day stumbling upon this site and people offering me advice and hope helped me out a lot so i figuired id return the favor. You seem like you know what you have to do, stay strong and good luck on your path.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Hey Michelle. Welcome to SR. You will find that all of us have gone or are going through what you are. Keep posting and keep reading here. It really does help. Oh, and congrats on the 12 days.

Chris
Old 06-13-2009, 07:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
God is leading the way!!!

Welcome to SR! we are here for you!
Old 06-17-2009, 04:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Michelle,

Hoping that you are still here with us & having a great day!