Notices

new

Old 06-12-2009, 06:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy new

hi, i am a 29 year old female who's new. i have been struggling with my drinking problem for most of my adult life. it's cost me so many things. i lost a job because i got drunk on a flight for a business trip and was turned away from an airport. i got in a dui accident and was on probation for four years, which is the only thing on my record now. my last boyfriend dumped me because i couldn't seem to stop drinking and acting irrational. he came over once and i was passed out on the floor by myself and dumped me. i have started getting in trouble at my new job for being late and missing days all the time because i'd go on days long benders. i think i may have alienated a close friend of mine who had been interested in me romantically because i got drunk and sent him some texts that made no sense and i think he thinks i'm crazy now. ive lost relationships, jobs, friends. my best friend is keeping his distance now, due to my drinking. my brother is an alcoholic too, and he just recently got in a dui wreck and lost his car. i am sick of booze ruining my life and his life. he wont get help but i looked up the times for meetings in my new city. i even went on antabuse for a while to stop, but its not working and i want to stop before drinking ruins my life forever. i know this is kind of long, but i just wanted to say hello and i needed to talk to some people who have the same problem with drinking that i do. i cant talk to people i know in person about it, im far too ashamed. anyway, hello everyone.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mira,

Welcome!

We do understand how difficult it is to admit that you have a problem with alcohol. You've made the first big step by coming here and saying that alcohol is destroying your life. It nearly destroyed my life too. Please know that you can do this and there is lots of hope!
Old 06-12-2009, 06:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Hi Mira
and welcome to SR
I am glad you found us...
you will find lots of support here and people who understand your spot..
there are stickies at the top of the page with lots of helpful information..
you can do this!
Old 06-12-2009, 06:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Welcome to SR Mira. Admitting that you are powerless over alcohol and your life has become unmanageable is the first step. You say you looked up times for meetings, why not call the AA hotline and maybe someone can meet you at one of the meetings. Keep posting.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Mira! So glad you are here. This is a great website and is so helpful. You can do this Mira. Keep posting here.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thank you all. i'm really glad to have stumbled across this site, there are lots of helpful links. i feel better reading some of your posts and knowing that i'm not alone, and you guys know what it feels like to be ashamed and feel trapped. it's so hard.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
hmm....

Hi Mira,

Old 06-12-2009, 06:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, it is hard. And you are so not alone. That is why this website exists. It has helped me so much. And I totally understand what you mean about being ashamed and trapped.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"i got drunk and sent him some texts that made no sense and i think he thinks i'm crazy now."

You might not be crazy now, but you were crazy when you sent them, right?

I got a kick out of that line in your post Mira, because when I was drunk EVERYTHING I thought, said, and wrote was pure genius... in my drunken mind.

Mira - don't ever forget it, it might just keep you from doing it again.

Welcome to SR.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hello mira--i am new as well. first time i'm reaching out for help from anyone. this site will help when you are alone or down. makes you feel less alone, and gives you a place to unload all the heavy thoughts drowning you right now. i've been up and down for years, this time i'm not trying to do it all at once and make everything nice and perfect over night. day to day and hopefully with alittle time and commitment i can prove myself. good luck to you and keep reading, and posting. it really does make it alittle easier to handle.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Mira, Yeah, I'd say your life is a little unmanageable right now. You obviously need to stop drinking as alcohol is fast ruining your life. I would suggest that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor at let him or her know what's going on. He can help you to detox from alcohol, and you need to do this under medical supervision as it can be dangerous. If your doctor can't help, find another doctor or even go to the ER. After detox you should, if possible, enter a rehabilitation program, preferably an in patient one. But if that's out of the question, start going to as many AA meetings as you can. There are other programs out there, but AA is the one I'm familiar with and can honestly say it saved my life. If you hit a meeting that you don't like, then don't go back to that one. Find meetings that you're comfortable with. And let them know that you're a newcomer. They'll be on you like white on rice. But do something now. Don't put it off. And in any event, let us know how things are going. This is a great group of people who'll share their experience and support.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome.....

Please read the link below....it's from the book that got me sober.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

Also....the post above it has good info on de toxing from alcohol.
It's a wise idea to talk with your doctor about your drinking.

Glad you are here with us...many of us are winning over alcohol
So can you....
Old 06-12-2009, 07:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It all comes down to you, you have to want to stop more than drink.Sounds like you need help,reach out and grap a hand up. A.A is here wainting on you.