Violently Ill.......

Old 06-11-2009, 11:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I grew my wings to fly...

Violently Ill.......

A few weeks ago my son, (over 21) was headed to a party. I told him, don't drink and drive, and don't ride with anyone who has been drinking, if you need a ride CALL ME. Around 3am the phone rang, it was my son, he needed a ride. I said, ok. I picked him up and didn't really smell alcohol on him, but was 1l2 asleep. I told him he was going to spend the night at my house, since it was so 'early' and I would bring him to his house in the morning. The next morning we get ready to leave and the smell of alcohol on his breath was so bad that I became violently ill. I don't know if it is an emotional situation that is manifesting physical side effects (because of the AXBF) of what the problem is. Every time I smell booze of any kind I get violently ill. I drink a little wine and that don't bother me, but I am thinking maybe it is the smell of booze on a MALE that is causing this? Does anyone have any thoughts? I think I have become allergic to alcoholics, or drinkers, or whatever they want to be called. I can't be around my step father neither, as he drinks too, and the smell on him makes me vomit, not WANT to vomit, but actually vomit.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Doesn't surprise me. Listen to your body, freebird. I had a similar experience - and still do have a slight nauseous reaction to the smell of a man who reeks of liquor. It just smells like sadness and pain to me, and my whole body would contract...now I just shudder a little. It may fade for you too, but I wouldn't count on it ever going away. That's what trauma can do to a person.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I grew my wings to fly...

GiveLove, I grew up with alcoholics, that is why I don't understand how this ONE man (AXBF) can finally break me down to where I become violently ill now when I smell alcohol on a man. I can now tell when someone IS a drinker, even if they aren't drinking when I am around them. It's as if they put off this vibe, and my gut reacts to it. (which is a real good thing)
Old 06-11-2009, 12:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

They don't just put out a vibe. They put out an odor. It's very subtle, but I can smell it. Just a faint, moist, chemical, icky smell. I've noticed that others in my life don't smell it....just me. And it's always, always spot on, so I know it's not my imagination.

From what I know about your relationship, freebird, it does not surprise me that the trauma you suffered at his hands "pushed you over the edge."

And every time I see you here, I am so grateful for the progress you've made in building a healthier life. I am so proud.