Drug addicts and vampires

Old 06-08-2009, 10:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drug addicts and vampires

I was watching TV tonight and there was a clip from a new vampire series coming on HBO (starring Anna Pacquin as the woman who falls in love with a vampire).

A male vampire had targeted her, he was planning to suck her dry and make her his.

I felt panic just flood me. My heart started racing. My chest felt tight.

And I felt the same nausea I felt when my exabf flipped--relapsed-- and became someone I no longer knew.

The scene was just FAMILIAR.

And I know that I still am not well, even after three years of hard work to get over the experience with him. Because I had an automatic reaction to an image of someone --the vampire on TV--who is devious, dangerous, deadly, and incredibly incredibly beautiful.

Someone recently posted and wrote a line about having to "spit the poison out."

There is a part of me the vampire still owns. The vampire of addiction in the man I loved. And I recognized it....or maybe it recognized me....when I saw the predator target that woman.

Someday I will be over this. But my body reminded me...not yet.

I just needed to share.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Bluejay...I have been thinking of this analogy for sometime...ever since I used to 'rescue' my abf from the 'vampire-rich' side of town. I used to joke with my friends that addicts are like vampires - they only come out at night and their only goal in life is to suck the life out of the living - day-walkers.

Thanks for posting!!
Old 06-09-2009, 11:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's so funny you say that...ok maybe not funny but extremely agonizing. I'm so sad to say I'm a twilight fan and everytime I watch it I think of my AB. Even reading the book Edward (main vampire character) compares his thrist for blood to one being addicted to drugs. I guess it kinda is that way. How a vampire does not want to be the way he is and even though a nice person, there is a dark side that they can't control. I know this sounds dumb and I'm fully aware this is all fictional but it's just so weird how it all seems somewhat relatable. I'm in love with someone who is so gorgeous to me and really is a nice person and would do everything including die for me but the dark side they can't control can be the part of them that trumps everything else about them and can kill us emotionally, mentally and maybe even physically. They (addicts, vampires) can literally "suck the life" out of us. I just seen your post and found it all too relavent. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and I'll have to keep an eye out for the new HBO series.

Keep the faith!
Old 06-09-2009, 01:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hope 87 wrote: "I'm fully aware this is all fictional".....

Yes, but the stories throughout existence, they never really change, do they? And someone wrote the same kind of story a thousand years ago because even then, there was this kind of vampire/addict love.

It's just our turn now to live the stories.

And maybe the Twilight series is so well-timed because in this age of rampant drug addiction (drugs were once so hard to find---far fewer drug addicts 30 years ago!) this vampire love/death story is in our consciousness more than ever.

Although addictive disease is one disease, my experience has been that relationship with an alcoholic vs the relationship with a drug addict is very different. For me, the vampire feeling only applies to the drug addict. Drugs just carry so much inherent darkness and cunning. I have to admit that the alcoholics I know were not all that cunning and powerful. They always had trouble hiding what was going on with the booze. But the drug addict: a snake in the grass, when he needed to be.

I just hope I get well. I know I will, I'm just amazed at how long it is taking me to detox from the bite.

I won't be able to watch that series. Not yet.

BJ
Old 06-09-2009, 04:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Bluejay, yes even a recovering addict with 3 years clean can have an affect on us. I know I am still trying to get over a guy I met a short time ago.I only new him for 3 weeks. I almost wish he would come back to me an suck some more blood out of me.He has no clue what an affect he had on me. He was sweet, handsome, and ofcourse beautiful. It is amazing how these addicts have a way with the type of women we are. A healthy , nurished,hard working women is what they prey. It is so hard to just forget them sometimes. In time if I stay away from this addiction I have, I will someday say that I am to a recovering co-dependent. Thanks for your post. I loved the movies with Vampires. Hmmmm
Old 03-25-2012, 06:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

all these thoughts were very interesting and inspiring for me. i am planning to write a paper on this and i'd love to hear every experience/thought about this
Old 03-25-2012, 07:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just read a very interesting book called "Emotional Vampires: Dealing with people who drain you dry".

The good thing about the book is that it describes them (the emotional vampire) but more importantly it provides TOOLS to deal with them.

Check it out.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 03-25-2012, 08:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

stories like this...vampires, werewolves, jekyll and hyde...bubble up out of the collective human experience and imagination.

they are illustrative myths and they did not just appear out of the stratosphere, they are based upon experience.

I do believe that "archetypes" or mythic monsters are purified or "perfect" and, as much as any of us will never be perfect as human beings, a human being developing "monstrous" traits (through becoming enmeshed with addiction) is not "perfect"; in that beneath the mask of the monster there hides the shamed and repressed human being.

I think it can be very wise to hold these archetypal models in mind as way to reinforce the aims of recovery, and am interested in how the tools relate. Also, because we reflect, mirror and share in the system of the disease with our codependency it might be wise to explore which archetypal being/monster we become. Having watched the deep, insanely powerful chemistry/lust between Anna and her vampire in the series, I will admit to its "luring qualities" of the forbidden.

Spoiler alert...at the end of the previous season Anna sreams "I will NOT be vampire crack!!"
Old 03-25-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My XABF always loves vampire tv shows and films. He thinks vampires are based on heroin addicts. I kind of agree, lots of similarities.