Notices

Am i walking into a whole new nightmare ?

Old 06-07-2009, 05:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Am i walking into a whole new nightmare ?

Hello to everyone,i hope things are going well.
Heres my dilemma,ive been a heroin addict for about 2 years,ive had a few goes at sorting my self out using subutex to get through the w/ds only to go back to using H again.I have got to that stage again where ive had enough of the constant struggle to keep my habit up,so tomorrow im due to go to see my old keyworker again but this time she suggested methadone, (i spoke to her on the phone last week)because the subs dont do nothing for my cravings and i cant get a decent amount of sleep on them. Ive read about methadone on the net and it seems like none of the people on it ever get off it,i know i cant go on as i have been with the heroin but im scared of becoming a life long meth addict aswell,so what id like to know is has anyone here got anything possitive to say about a switch to methadone i really want it to be a stepping stone to my full recovery as i want to get back to work and sort my life out,thanks for listening i would be grateful for any replies,and i hope you can find what im looking for a normal life without a constant nagging voice telling me to buy drugs.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I have no advice, but I want to welcome you to SR.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna for the welcome,ive only just joined SR have i posted in the right place ? do i just leave it there and wait for some replies ? my brains in a bit of a mess and i have never used a forum before.Also i'd like to make some pal's on here, because i'm going to be kicking my habit someday soon i hope, and would be grateful of the support as well as offering mine aswell, thanks again.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome to SR, Numb.

Are there any NA meetings available in your area?
Old 06-07-2009, 07:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

hey numb welcome to the site!! I am also a heroin addict (was using it for close to 4 years everyday)

When I first got clean I went to an inpatient detox facility and they did a scheduled short term methadone taper for me. (Whole thing lasted 10-11 days, I cant remember the exact amount as my mind was very foggy at the time) But it worked excellent for me, very comfortable during the switch from heroin to methadone and also okay when the methadone was taken away from me after 11 days.

The only withdrawal symptom I could notice when stopping the methadone was a bit of insomnia and anxiety. Other than that there was nothing. Good luck getting clean and staying off the junk! might wanna talk to your doctor about a short term taper program, this way you dont just end up getting addicted to the methadone.

If your doctor suggests you stay on methadone long term, who really cares? its better than doing dope everyday. hope to hear from you soon man ~~ Scott
Old 06-07-2009, 08:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Maybe you should check out the narcotic addiction forum. You'll get a lot of help there
Old 06-07-2009, 10:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Ex D Boy for the possitive reply,thats the sort of thing i need to here i'm gonna go for another quick detox,but this time im going to follow it up with recovery meetings their are loads in London only a short walk from my flat,thats where ive been going wrong i think, thinking i can do it without any support,when i see my doc later im going to get all that sorted out,i'll keep you posted. Steve.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Welcome to SR Numb!

I have been on Methadone for coming up on 4 years now and for me, I have to say that I believe it saved my life. I seriously abused opiates for 25 years and my addiction controlled my entire life. I never used Heroin, but I took enough opiate pain killers that the doctors compared my habit to one of a severe Heroin addict.

I had tried every kind of treatment - numerous detoxes, inpatient, outpatient treatment, inpatient programs from 28 days to 9 months. I went to AA and NA (however looking back, I now know that I wasn't truly working a Program of Recovery)But every single time, the post accute withdrawls (PAWs) would pull me back. Unless someone has experienced these, they cannot begin to understand just how strong and debilitating these can be.

When I went in for my last detox, I think the Dr.'s sensed that I had finally hit my bottom. This is when they suggested a Methadone Maintenance Treatment Program for me. This consists of going daily to take my dose along with groups and individual counseling sessions. I have earned "take home doses" from being in compliance in all areas so I only have to go twice a week to the Clinic and get take home doses for the other days. Things could be very different where you are, laws vary state to state, country to country.

Anyway, the Methadone has prevented the PAWs and for the first time in over 25 years, I feel normal. Many people think that Methadone gets someone high, but from my experience, on the proper dose, there has been no feelings of being high. The first week or so I got tired easily and if I sat long enough, I could nod off.

Just being on Methadone alone was not enough! I had to get to the reasons why I began to use drugs in the first place. I started going back to AA & NA Meetings but this time, I got a Sponsor and worked the Steps more honest and with more effort than anything I have ever done. Recovery is much more than just abstinance. It's a complete change in lifestyle.

I may end up being on Methadone for the rest of my life but it's a hell of a lot better than the alternative. I have no doubt that I would be dead if I hadn't gotten on Methadone because it has allowed me to be capable of working a Program of Recovery. Sure, the hour or so each day that I had to go 7 days a week for the first year or so got old at times. But look at how much time we spent chasing our DOC. (drug of choice) Some days I spent hours on end trying to get enough pills to keep me from being dope sick for just one day . . . it wasn't about getting high anymore.

I hope that you find the right combination of things for you so you can find the peace of mind that I have found in my new life of Recovery. Feel free to send me a PM anytime if you like.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 06-08-2009, 02:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hello numb and welcome.my doc is alcohol so i cant advise you on heroin,however i know that i couldnt stop drinking on my own and went to AA.it has saved my life.i liked serenity queens post and i think that maybe NA could be the way for you but only you can decide that.yu will get support,encouragement and a programme of recovery with which to live life without heroin.my best wishes are with you whatever you decide to do.keep us posted.i joined sr at the begining of the year and have made many friends,sr has been invaluable to me!
Old 06-08-2009, 03:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was a heroin addict for 3 years. I neve rused mthadone/suboxone/anthing. I quit cold turkey 4 or 5 times. it was hell, but it was only ell for 72 hours. then it was minor hell you another week then I was pretty much fine nd completely normal in a month. it gets better every day.

im sure uve heard all this before. heres my one bit of advice. once u realize that you dont even like how u feel on the heroin quitting for good will be easy. I realized it and havent one back. after a couple months I rarely even thought of heroin. some time I would think... what if I had some H right here in front of me right now. I honestly knew in my heart I would flush that down the toilet with a huge smile on my face.

i urge you to do this methadone/sub free. then you know you alone beat thi disease and youll be stronger for it
Old 06-08-2009, 03:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR Numb, I am an alcoholic and AA saved my life, I have no personal experience on H, but I can share with you what has been shared by 2 ladies I know who are both in AA & NA.

One lady went totally under medical a medically supervised detox, several times, the last time she got clean and sober was 6 years ago and she remains clean and sober today. She used mainly AA with a good deal of NA in her first year, she shared that the first year clean and sober was hard, but she was able to do it by totally throwing herself into AA & NA.

The other lady got into a methadone maintenance program and and like the first lady she did both NA & AA as well. After about a year or so on the methadone program she convinced the doctors she wanted to be withdrawn off of methadone, it took her over a year to be fully withdrawn form methadone, she spent a great deal of time dope sick during that year, she told me that she regrets getting on the methadone maintenance progrm because the withdrawals/Dope sick was far worse then the dopw sick she got from heroin, but she stuck it out, she immersed herself into AA & NA as well and now has been off of the methadone for over a year.

Please keep in mind that what I am sharing is what has been shared with me, it is not my personal experience but what has been shared with me. I wish you well numb, it is your decision which way you wish to go and I am sure that things are different every where so the options offered to you will limit the path you can take to getting clean.

As you can see here there are folks with real experience here, so I would give their experience far more weight then what I have shared.