Language of Letting Go - June 6 - The Gift of Readiness

Old 06-06-2009, 04:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - June 6 - The Gift of Readiness

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

The Gift of Readiness

Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
—Step Six of Al-Anon

We progress to the Sixth Step by working diligently, to the best of our ability, on the first Five Steps. This work readies us for a change of heart, openness to becoming changed by a Power greater than ourselves - God.

The path to this willingness can be long and hard. Many of us have to struggle with a behavior or feeling before we become ready to let it go. We need to see, over and over again, that the coping device that once protected us is no longer useful.

The defects of character referred to in Step Six are old survival behaviors that once helped us cope with people, life, and ourselves. But now they are getting in our way, and it is time to be willing to have them removed.

Trust in this time. Trust that you are being readied to let go of that which is no longer useful. Trust that a change of heart is being worked out in you.

God, help me become ready to let go of my defects of character. Help me know, in my mind and soul, that I am ready to let go of my self defeating behaviors, the blocks and barriers to my life.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Trust in this time. Trust that you are being readied to let go of that which is no longer useful. Trust that a change of heart is being worked out in you.
I tend to be an impatient person (maybe it's the red hair). I wanted my recovery to happen overnight when, in reality, recovery is a process that evolves as I do the work and ready myself for changes.

When I became impatient with my early recovery, I would just look at those who went before me and knowing it took them time too, helped me do what I needed to do to get to that wonderful place I am in today.

Hugs
Old 06-06-2009, 05:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

The path to this willingness can be long and hard. Many of us have to struggle with a behavior or feeling before we become ready to let it go. We need to see, over and over again, that the coping device that once protected us is no longer useful.
Realizing that some of my defects of character had once served a purpose helped me in recognizing them and working through them. When I can put aside emotion and look rationally at myself I can take such reactions one by one and think about why I act and react in such ways. It has helped me to see I no longer need those old behaviors and I can turn the nonrecovery defect into a recovery asset with the help of a higher power.