2 Weeks Today Sober

Old 06-04-2009, 05:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 Weeks Today Sober

Hi to all, last week I had posted about my AH who went to the doctors 2 weeks ago because he was so sick. His doctor ordered lab work, gave him some meds to get thru WD and told him it was not going to be pretty. It was a long 4 days but he got thru it. I of course was not sure how he would be able to WD at home and was concerned as well.

I got him in for the the blood work, barely made it because he was so weak and last Thur, we went back to the docs. Of course his sugar was way up there as was his liver function test, not surprising but he was feeling much better.

Then, this past Monday he went back to work, is self employed, and drove to Buffalo for the week and is doing remarkably well. I know not to get my hopes up and live one day at a time but he sounds and acts like a "normal" man. He told me he has NO desire to drink and being that sick was enough to make him stop. I know it scared him (20+ years of closet drinking, although fairly functional up to this point). He had been in rehab 18 years ago and has drank off and on for years.

The doc told him he should have a support group (AA) but I know he will not go to that since it is not his cup of tea. I do understand since I myself am not an Al-anon follower either. He knows the triggers and we discussed how he will avoid them.

I think he also knows the severity of his liver function tests and what that could have meant. He will be having those tests again in the future to see if the liver has bounced back.

I thank God for all that has happened and I try not to think of the future but just today as that is all we really have control over, the now.

Peace to all who stuggle with this as I know in my heart I too will forever deal with this as long as I am with this man and can never be 100% sure of anything he may or may not do.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

One day at a time... :ghug

Remember to take care of you in all of this too..
Old 06-04-2009, 09:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Member,

I'm glad he's making progress.

Take good care of the caregiver (you) and try to do something nice for yourself today. And every day

Remember that his choices belong to him - you have a life of your own outside of his sickness.