SMART f2f...

Old 06-02-2009, 01:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

SMART f2f...

I worked SMART for a while about a year and a half ago. I really threw myself into it. I attendin online meeitngs every night. I printed all the tools so I could have them at any time.
I also joined the evoice meetings and those were really emotional for me.
I did really well with that program and wish there was a f2f locally.
I recently submitted a request on bringin a f2f meeting to my area. And they sent me alot of info and training times. Lots of support connections.
I would love to be the first to pioneer a f2f SMART meeting in my are. It would be a huge accomplishment for me. I live in the capital district of NY. So I know it would be successful.
I do however need to get some clena time on ym hands before I even attempt this.
So this alone has given me that drive and motivation to do this again. To work toward a real solid recovery again.
Its like I have a purpose. \
I am not sure I will ever get there. But I am goin to try like hell.
If I could do this. It would boost my confidence and haver such a reward for bringing this latrenative to countless others.
I know there alot of others like me that miss out on f2f support because we just dont relate to 12 step.
I cant just fake it till I make it. I need to feel comfortable and 100% content with a program that I am goin to eb workin for the rest of my life.
If I dotn feel it or understand it. No matter how many ways it is explained to me. I am not goin to commit. ANd there for will hurt my recovery. I want to work a program I can be proud of. And that to me has to be somehting I am totally comfortable with and one that I can relate to comletely.
Does any of this make sense?

Amyway. I just wanted to share. I feel god about just workigna program I have faith in again.
I have the motivation again. And that alone is worth it all.

I am also wondering if anyone here works that program as well. And if you have f2f near you and have attended f2f SMART. WHat did you think? I think f2f is crucial for recovery. But i am not goin to do it in a way that isnt true to me and mty beliefs and recovery.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you Chiynita -

I feel god about just workigna program I have faith in again.
Couldn't agree more. That IS worth it all.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

It's all about recovery....whatever program you choose. And yes--you have to find one that works for you. I think you would be an asset to any program in your area. And starting a new recovery place in your area--cool! Getting clean..then helping others find that freedom...what it's all about.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Optimist

We're in Bethlehem...I know my husband would go to your meetings Knowing this area, I'm sure here would be a ton of interest. Good luck, and keep me posted!

Daisy
Old 06-03-2009, 08:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have been reading all the facilitator material. There is alot of stuff to go over.
I will have to invest a small amount of money to get materials that I need.
There is alot of support in starting a meeting in my area.
But I want to be sure I have at least a year of clean time first.
Its one thing to let myself down. Quite another to let others down.
So when I feel I have a good run of clean time and I know I can commit. I will take action in making it happen.
I just relapsed last week. So It will be a long time.
It has given me something to strive for tho.
Like a project.
I love doing stuff like that.
To give to others in such a big way.
I did a Lupus fundraiser in 2005 in my cousin's name who has Lupus.
We had a BBQ and money drop donations.
I paid for everything. But it all cost maybe $250 for materials.
We raised almost $1000 in 4 hrs.
I have never done anything so selfless in ym life. I will always remember the look on my cousins face when she saw us up there doin it.
It was surprise. We both just started crying. It was awesome.
The only real accomplishment I can be proud of.
I am capable of doin great things. But I let my addiction stand in my way.
I am tired of holding myself back.
I am ready to shine. Ready to show the world what I am about.
I really need to throw myself into recovery tho.
I am goin to do that now. I want it so bad.
Just the feeling of doing something to help others is amazing.
There are no words to describe it.
Anyway. When and if I get this going. I will def keep everyone updated.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you chiynita! We have a smart group here in DFW. They meet once a week. I went once and liked it. I hang out and lurk on the smart forums also. I like anything that has to do with me being in control of myself. choices = outcomes cool stuff!
Old 06-05-2009, 08:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chiynita View Post
I worked SMART for a while about a year and a half ago. I really threw myself into it. I attendin online meeitngs every night. I printed all the tools so I could have them at any time.
I also joined the evoice meetings and those were really emotional for me.
I did really well with that program and wish there was a f2f locally.
I recently submitted a request on bringin a f2f meeting to my area. And they sent me alot of info and training times. Lots of support connections.
I would love to be the first to pioneer a f2f SMART meeting in my are. It would be a huge accomplishment for me. I live in the capital district of NY. So I know it would be successful.
I do however need to get some clena time on ym hands before I even attempt this.
So this alone has given me that drive and motivation to do this again. To work toward a real solid recovery again.
Its like I have a purpose. \
I am not sure I will ever get there. But I am goin to try like hell.
If I could do this. It would boost my confidence and haver such a reward for bringing this latrenative to countless others.
I know there alot of others like me that miss out on f2f support because we just dont relate to 12 step.
I cant just fake it till I make it. I need to feel comfortable and 100% content with a program that I am goin to eb workin for the rest of my life.
If I dotn feel it or understand it. No matter how many ways it is explained to me. I am not goin to commit. ANd there for will hurt my recovery. I want to work a program I can be proud of. And that to me has to be somehting I am totally comfortable with and one that I can relate to comletely.
Does any of this make sense?

Amyway. I just wanted to share. I feel god about just workigna program I have faith in again.

I am also wondering if anyone here works that program as well. And if you have f2f near you and have attended f2f SMART. WHat did you think? I think f2f is crucial for recovery. But i am not goin to do it in a way that isnt true to me and mty beliefs and recovery.
Hi Chi, this is just a thought, but I think you can start a LifeRing meeting without all the red tape. I like LifeRing. The meeting formats are "How was your week?" At any rate, it might be worth pursuing maybe? I can direct you to the LifeRing service center if you are interested. In fact, there could even be meetings where you live, but I sort of doubt it. I'll check for you.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Chi,

Here is the list of meetings in NY. I have no idea if any of them are by you, but thought I'd share...

LifeRing F2F Meeting List
Old 06-05-2009, 10:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

All those are really far. I appreciate that. I havent checked lifering out yet.
I am goin to look into a few others just to see what they are like too.
Thx again.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chiynita View Post
All those are really far. I appreciate that. I havent checked lifering out yet.
I am goin to look into a few others just to see what they are like too.
Thx again.
Oh, that's too bad. I know LifeRing is still so new but I really do like it. I hope you can find other groups that work for you! BTW, when you do check out LifeRing, I suggest you go to www.unhooked.com. It's a better site than just googling on LifeRing.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am wondering if it is so important that you have a year before starting? This sounds like a great idea and could be the very thing that helps you reach a year...
Old 06-10-2009, 07:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I dont think it is a requirement. But it is something I would liek to do before I try and commit to something so big.
I would hate to get halfway through it and then fall into my MO and leave people disappointed. I can disappoint myself. But I dont want to do it anyone else.