Notices

Does it get harder?

Old 06-01-2009, 10:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does it get harder?

Two weeks sober and it's been easy (except for insomnia but I'll trade that happily).

Does it get harder? For example when I go back to work (only 3 days a week).
Old 06-01-2009, 10:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I found that I have to keep focused, have a program of recovery (AA for me) and always keep sobriety the number one priority. As time goes by, I can be seduced into thinking... well I wasn't that bad... maybe I can drink normally. I don't think I can and I am WILLING to get through the rough spots and not drink...

At 8 months... it's much easier... my hard months were between 4 and 6...

That's my experience.... What do you mean, though? Does what get harder?

Mark
Old 06-01-2009, 10:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I mean I have no craving for alcohol but will I get them?
Old 06-01-2009, 10:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad it's going well for you.

The first few weeks were hard for me because I was recovering physically and dealing with a lot of shame and guilt.

It's great that you're sailing through this.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm one of the lucky ones who never really had the desire to drink all the time. I simply couldn't stop when I did though. There's no off switch when I drink, so for me choosing not to drink isn't very tough, but there have been situations where I would've normally reached for the bottle that I had to deal with differently.

Pills are a bit tougher for me, that was my everyday thing so that took some more teeth-gritting and work to get around.

I've been to an AA meeting everyday since day 1 (day 16 today!) and that has certainly helped, especially when I've been in a bad mood or really had the urge to use.

I have no idea if it gets harder, this is my first time around, so I hope not. I'm very aware that it's easy to get in the mindset that I've got this beat and I can handle it. The truth is I can't, and I remind myself of that fact everyday. Believing I've won out over the disease is just setting me up to lose.

I'm glad things haven't been difficult for you, and I hope that it continues, but don't for a second think that going back to 'normal' is an option!
Old 06-01-2009, 10:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As far as the physical craving... hey, if you are OK with it now, you should be fine!! Urges would occasionally set off a craving after the initial couple of months... but they were short lived and easy to ride out.

Do you have a program of recovery?

Mark
Old 06-01-2009, 11:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

You may have already had them. But since you have decided to not drink, you don't notice them as much. You have begun to take responsibilty for yourself to live without alcohol being the solution to your problems. You will find new ways to deal with life each day you stay sober! A good place to get connected with others who are making progress in their recovery is at an A.A. meeting. Why not go to one today? Thank you helping me to remain grateful!
Old 06-01-2009, 12:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't have a programme of recovery but I'm seeing the Community Alcohol Team soon for a detox I no longer need, and for acupuncture in the ears for anxiety etc.

It's a long story but I had to go into hospital for two days and of course they give alcoholics a mini-detox (librium). When I came out I just thought "Carry on being sober".
Old 06-01-2009, 12:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

My suggestion would be to attend AA just be on the safe side, to protect your sobriety.

You'll meet some great people and learn new things.

No reason why not, right?
Old 06-01-2009, 12:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by Sbr123 View Post
Two weeks sober and it's been easy (except for insomnia but I'll trade that happily).

Does it get harder? For example when I go back to work (only 3 days a week).
Hi,

I have about 5 weeks sober, and while the first 2 weeks were hard, I'm finding it harder now, but that's just me. I'm actually waking up and realizing I can't f*ck around anymore, and this is something that I have to do for myself. I've been doing some reading, and that's helped. I'm going to try an all women's AA meeting this week. I tried an outpatient program for a few weeks, but it wasn't for me, so now I'm hoping to find a qualified therapist that I can see once or twice a week. Now that almost 5 weeks have gone by, I do feel strange, like something is missing. Drinking to me felt "normal", when in all reality it's not. I do have alot of mood swings, but today I'm feeling alright. I have a hard time applying this, but what they say is true, you really do have to take it one day at a time. You'll find that brings alot of peace of mind, once you follow it. I'm still working on it.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Not drinking did get harder for me as time went on; When I first stopped drinking I knew I needed to it nearly killed me so I had to stop. I did not drink every day so at first I didn't miss it at all. After the first year I started to miss the social aspect of drinking (which is weird since I did most of my drinking alone) and "friends" would say things like "you've proved yourself now you can have a drink".... I've never had cravings for alcohol but I imagine not drinking will require effort throughout the rest of my life at times.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Good to see you doing well Sbr123.

If your way works and your doing fine just keep it going.

I've been sober over a year now just working away on my own and here at SR.

Not going to pretend its always easy but ....................

The first 2 weeks were the hardest I found, any problems you face from now on in probably won't be physical but in your head.

My mind is often my biggest enemy.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm glad you asked this question. So far (knock on wood) I haven't had the slightest urge or desire to drink. It hasn't been at all like trying to quit smoking where the urges come hard and physical.

I'm trying to fortify myself for future problems (therapy, SR). I am a bit worried that it seems too easy. But I'm trying not to borrow trouble. Makes me think, "Geez, I wish I would have done this sooner..."
Old 06-01-2009, 02:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think that the only time you'll find it harder is if you get into a situation that used to trigger your drinking. But if you have a support programme like a lot of prior postings have suggested, you'll handle those with no problem. In the long run it actually gets easier. But get a support programme.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I cannot stress enough how important it is to be working some kind of a "program" while trying to stay sober. Getting sober is easy, staying sober is the hard part.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I agree with joedris that you have to be prepared for situations that you associate with drinking. For the most part, I've been chugging along with minimal difficulty for the last two weeks. When I'm making dinner I usually feel a mild urge to drink, but nothing I can't ride out (and this is with having a LOT of alcohol in the house). I keep catching myself thinking, "Hey, this is a breeze. I am practically over this drinking thing!"

But then I'll confront a major drinking trigger and I quickly go from calm to practically having a panic attack I want a drink so badly. This has happened twice so far. The second time the urge and accompanying jitteriness lasted for HOURS. It was awful, especially since I was at work and had to keep it together. I got through both situations without drinking, but I felt like a complete automaton the entire time.

Looking back, I know that I should've thought ahead and avoided placing myself in these situations. My sobriety is still so new. I don't need to be testing it or myself just yet.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by joedris View Post
I think that the only time you'll find it harder is if you get into a situation that used to trigger your drinking. But if you have a support programme like a lot of prior postings have suggested, you'll handle those with no problem. In the long run it actually gets easier. But get a support programme.
programme? I like how you typed that instead of program.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I gues it's different for everyone...i couldn't get off the alchohol last time until i went to inpatient treatment and i was there 30 days...so cant really say much about how hard it was..it was a controlled environment.

some things have gotten easier as i am sober, but some things have actually gotten quite a bit harder....

I think spending time with other alchoholics in recovery is key to staying sober and to staying sane.

I have one friend about 27 years sober who had not had any dificulty with the sober part for many many years...but when her husband died 2 years ago staying sober became a challange again...

So i think i expect it to change back and forth over time.

Glad you're here
Old 06-01-2009, 06:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ananda View Post
some things have gotten easier as i am sober, but some things have actually gotten quite a bit harder....
I think that is the reality of it— some things are easier and others are harder. Cravings have subsided over the last few months for me but other issues have arisen.

The thing is I don't think alcohol is that physically addictive, certainly not compared to something like nicotine, so beating those cravings isn't really where the toughest battle lies. The real battle lies in reorganizing your life. I have no idea what your drinking history was but I started drinking when I was 14. I grew up on alcohol. In a way it reared me. So quitting alcohol was not only about riding out cravings, it was about relearning how to live without alcohol in my life— this was/is hard as hell. I basically had to reparent myself. Everyone probably has a different relationship with alcohol but in a way the first step after dealing with the physical withdrawal is reconciling that relationship and mourning it. That is difficult. Then there are so many other aspects of a program of recovery which are similar but different for every person. So while it has been easy so far, it very well could continue to be easy on the craving front, but don't let that make you complacent and forgo a program of general recovery. Because not only do I think you will be putting your sobriety in jeopardy but worse you will not be giving yourself the chance for the wide world of recovery.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Everyone's a critic. Especially Sweets