Notices

I'm trying

Old 05-31-2009, 10:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm trying

Hey all,
I am trying to quit drinking starting tonight. I have been reading some thread about how detoxing can kill you so I am going to try and ween myself off the stuff. I normally drink a pint of vodka daily, so I am starting with a half pint tonight. Let's see how this goes. *crosses fingers*
Old 05-31-2009, 10:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi welcome to SR Wilbur.

Detoxing is pretty serious stuff - if you're drinking a pint a day, I'd think it's pretty much imperative you do anything under a doctors supervision.

Here's a sticky on quitting what to expect - if you haven't seen it already.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

I don't know where you are, but there's any number of hotlines and AA 24 hours numbers to call for support and advice on getting professional help - just google.

Stay safe.
D
Old 05-31-2009, 11:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, I wish I could see a doc or go to a detox facility but I don't have health insurance and I can't afford it. :/
Old 05-31-2009, 11:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Damn.
Sorry to hear that Wilbur - I'm not American so I dunno what else exactly is available - I do know there are free detoxes/rehab centres run by ppl like the Salvation Army tho.

And there is always the ER.

Hopefully someone else will know more and post here, if that would be useful to you.

Good luck to you
keep posting

D
Old 06-01-2009, 12:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

god go with you.

50% reduction.....

i know you dont wanna hear it but.......you could get into serious complications.

Dee mentioned the sally army whom have helped me out on more than a couple of occasions here in the uk.....can you call someone or do a google....maybe they are available to you.

At the very very very least do not do this on your own......is there someone that can stay with you for a week ish.......??

keep posting how your getting on.......feel free to pm me anytime.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i agree with trucker....try with 5% or 10% reduction....

take your time dude your gonna be in this for a long long time so why hurry??
Old 06-01-2009, 05:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR Wilbur, Dee offered some good advice, call the Salvation Army, they have free detoxs, call your social services and see what they have to offer.

If none of that is available then I would call the AA hotline and tell them what is up, I have found that if you want questions answered about alcoholism one will always find free and knowledgeable guidance and suggestions from the largest group of sober alcoholics on the planet.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'll just jump on Taz's Bandwagon. What he says is true.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It can be very dangerous just stopping, when you have been drinking heavily. I used to work in a brewery so I had access to unlimited amounts of beer. I used to drink all my shift and my time at home. The only time I was not drinking was when I was asleep for 6 hours. One day I had a stomach upset so could not drink. The delirium tremens I went through are not nice. Even though I did not have a seizure the seeing, hearing and even smelling things were not nice. Hope that helps, if you are not sure ring up AA and as for their advice. They have been there and done it.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Heathen

The Salvation Army, or any ER.

Salvation Army is free.

If you go to the ER, they'll detox you enough.. and send you home with a few pills hold off seizures, probably. Emergency rooms have to treat people despite ability to pay.

A lot of people "try" to quit drinking until they die from it.

Tapering typically doesn't work.

For the record, I quit drinking by just stopping, I drank a lot more than you do.. and I don't recommend it. But it's not NECESSARY to taper... get the medical help!

Just the facts according to what I know.

sorry, just read that what I said was already said.. oh well. My vote is for ER or SA. Now...
Old 06-01-2009, 03:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

As others have said, please talk to your dr or go to an ER.

Tapering never worked for me.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Almost all states have a free program for detox, either throught he state hospital or through salvation army, thats where i am finding help, i found DR. supervision and meds work better than trying to wean yourself off, trust me half pint will turn right back into a whole pint very quickly, thats why we are alcholics, because we dont know where to draw the line.... if we could drink only half a pint tonight, then we wouldnt need help tomorrow... Its hard but its the truth, I am happy we have somewhere to let it all out though! And yes it can be very dangerous, if you feel like you have to drink , drink something super sweet like kool aid, gross I know, But drink it till you feel like you are going to puke, its the sugars your body is fiending for, kool aid and b vitamins up the A$$, This is what is getting me through the episodes... im still shaking and puking and my head hurts, but I AM SOBER!!!!

Originally Posted by WilburKookmeyer View Post
Thanks Dee, I wish I could see a doc or go to a detox facility but I don't have health insurance and I can't afford it. :/