Gratitude

Old 05-30-2009, 07:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gratitude

This past weekend marked three years of clean and sober for my RAS....

In years passed memorial day weekend was always a horror show....seems like each year had its own drama...from car accidents to ER visits to eventually the last straw at a homeless shelter

today I am filled with gratitude for the blessings in my life...

my RAS works a program, lives in a sober living environment, works and pays it forward every chance he gets (and in his world he gets a lot of chances to extend a helping hand)

my other sons are doing well....living on their own, working and managing their lives

and I am waiting for a grandchild to arrive any day!

my husband and I survived the dark years (so far) and have a stronger bond than before...I divide our life into BA(before addiction ) and AA (after addiction)

we lost alot because of addiction but if truth be told we also grew in ways that we never could have imagined

My lifeline during the darkest times was to hold on..."don't give up before the miracle" got me through many difficult nights....I never stopped believing that my son would make it but I did finally stop hindering his progress with my enabling

this Valentine's Day I got a card from RAS with a beautiful handwritten note stating how much my love sustained him and how much it meant towards his recovery to know that he still had my love and that it was there for him just as it always had been....(he said it better than I just did)
needless to say that card is tucked away with my most precious treasures

to all who are still living with active addiction (and we are all just a day removed from that state) I pray that your journey is short and hope that you can find a reason to believe....

Miracles do happen...I pray that you each get your miracle
Old 05-30-2009, 08:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i know that miracles happen. i have not had mine yet but maybe someday. i have hope. i am so happy your a.s. & your sons are all doing well. thanks for the post. it does give us all alot to look forward to. hug & prayers,
Old 05-30-2009, 10:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is a beautiful message. Thank you.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

What a beautiful inspiring post !!

I love that if we keep working our own program and maintain hope ...the miracles happen.
A new grandbaby on the way...oh how delightful. You deserve all the goodness coming your way...you earned it and you ROCK !!
Old 05-30-2009, 07:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lil, there are certain events in recovery that I will always hold close to my heart and remember. One is the very first night a good friend of mine now in Naranon came into the rooms. I can play our conversation after the meeting in my head still and I am so grateful for how she and her daughter have grown in recovery.

Another memory I have very clearly is a post of yours right before the miracle happened. It felt to me as if you had hit your point of surrender, but you did not give up...You held on to the hope of the miracle but let go of a false sense of control. Shortly after, the miracle occurred.

I'm so happy for you that recovery has brought your whole family to a better place. Thanks for sharing your hope here.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by greeteachday View Post
Lil, there are certain events in recovery that I will always hold close to my heart and remember.

Another memory I have very clearly is a post of yours right before the miracle happened. It felt to me as if you had hit your point of surrender, but you did not give up...You held on to the hope of the miracle but let go of a false sense of control. Shortly after, the miracle occurred.
(((Greet))) thank you so much for your friendship and support throughout this journey. Your words were right on target.....I did hit my bottom...I knew I could never give up but also knew I did have to let go....I placed him in God's hands and relaxed my grip.....the miracle happened when his HP said "I've got it from here"....
Old 05-30-2009, 08:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you! It is good to hear stories that things can turn out in the end. Just hopefully "the end" is near!!! Thank you for sharing!