Notices

New with pain issues

Old 05-26-2009, 03:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New with pain issues

Hey everyone! I've been browsing the site for a few days when I decided to seriously quit all opioid use last Friday, May 22nd. I've been on Norco and Oxy (either oxycodone or oxycontin) since late 2007 for low back pain and headache. I have had two physicians, a neurologist and a family practitioner, oversee my medications and care this entire time, but in the last two months I told them that I needed to get off these meds as they are messing up my entire life.

I will be seeing a pain clinic physician in the next couple weeks and am crossing my fingers that a non-narcotic medication will be able to treat the issues I have had to deal with. I have a feeling some of my problems have been positive reinforcement... such as taking medications as soon as I feel any twinge of pain, etc. then feeling "good." However, I was on a slippery slope as I took more and more and ended up running out days before a refill, then a week, and then two weeks! I've ended up not working weeks at a time, losing a girlfriend in which I had plans to marry (not to forget to mention I had absolutely no sex drive, ugh!), been a bad friend to so many people, been an unreliable family member, and am extremely apathetic when I used to be so motivated.

My plan: I went through the worst of the acute w/d as I am on day 4 now, but this time I plan to do things different. I'll be getting a gym membership this week, I've told my ex about the situation for accountability, and am "checking myself in" on here for some feedback. I appreciate all the great posts I read each day and look forward to getting to know you guys.

-J
Old 05-26-2009, 04:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Razzy,

Welcome!

I'm so glad you have decided to live a sober life.

I do hope that you can find some non-narcotic medication to deal with your pain issues. You will find lots of support and information here.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 51anna View Post
Hi Razzy,

Welcome!

I'm so glad you have decided to live a sober life.

I do hope that you can find some non-narcotic medication to deal with your pain issues. You will find lots of support and information here.
Thanks Anna, I hope so as well. I am very glad there is a forum specifically for pain related issues. That is particular helpful!

-J
Old 05-26-2009, 05:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Razzy and welcome to SR.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mary52 View Post
Hi Razzy and welcome to SR.
Thanks Mary! Day 5 feels muuuuch better. It's great to see people making it so long on here... one day I'll say 6 months, 6 years, etc.!

-J
Old 05-27-2009, 12:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Heathen

Welcome..

Being an addict I do know that there are always non-narcotic options..

Congrats on gettin sober
Old 05-27-2009, 09:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Cool

"Being an addict I do know that there are always non-narcotic options.."

...and for you, Razzy, I hope you find something (or things) that work.....unfortunately, for some of us, those non-narcotic options just didn't/don't work; or at least they didn't work for me to allow me to function at work, and believe me, my doctors and I tried everything we could for over the last 7 years that I was working.

Now that I'm retired, I can get along with a lot less, as I only need to function as in getting out of bed and to bathroom (and perhaps a bit more than that, but not much.....LOL).

Don't forget to check out the Forum here on SR.....'Recovery and Pain Management' under the 'Special-Interest Groups' heading. There's lots of info regarding different methods of dealing with pain while in recovery.....Lots of different folks......with lots of different ES&H......so, c'mon over Razzy, and check it out....................... (o:

NoelleR