Day 5

Old 05-26-2009, 09:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5

Well, it has been 5 days since AH had his last drink. We went to docs last Thur and he was given some meds, told to stop immediately drinking, and also had to go for blood work which we did on Sat. He has been extremely fatigued but is now off the meds (lorazapam and clonidine).

When we went for the blood work on Sat. morning, I was not sure he was going to make it as he was so out of it and weak. He also had to give a urine sample which was hard for him (never used to be) and I really thought he was going to pass out from lack of food. He was having liver function and blood sugar tested and who knows what else.

I do so worry that his liver is shot and can only hope its not beyond repair at this point but that thought scares me. I will take him back to the docs on Thurs. whereby hopefully we will find out at least decent news. I know he is diabetic since he was diagnosed a few months ago but refrained from taking those meds because he had started up drinking vodka back in Feb 09.

I think he is scared because he still is not really feeling any better. He has started to eat a little more but still not nearly what a grown man should. He gets up for a while and then goes back to bed. I certainly hope this is not an indication of what lies ahead for him (and me and the kids). I know I have been the codependent all along in this journey but somehow I don't think anyone can avoid that when living with an A. Yes, I am reading "Co-dependent No more".

I will let everyone know what happens on Thur. As far as the withdrawal, that seems to be going ok as I was not sure what to expect here at home.

Wish me luck and a few prayers might not be so bad either.

Peace to all of you and thanks for the support.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

good luck,its a long road,my thoughts are with you
Old 05-26-2009, 12:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My ABF is stuggling with being tired too. I assumed that this was a process of getting all the poison out of his system, but I'm glad you posted this to confirm my thoughts. 5 days for us too... hoping it's for a life time
Old 05-26-2009, 12:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am with you...perhaps we can keep track together!
Old 05-26-2009, 02:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

"I think he is scared because he still is not really feeling any better."

I know its difficult, member, but years of alcohol abuse take a very real toll on anyone's body. It is expected the body will need time to recover, if no permanent damage was done. These are just consequences. I wish you well, know you are not alone!