Children thrown from bridge

Old 05-24-2009, 10:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Children thrown from bridge

Ten minutes from my home, this weekend a mother threw her two children off a bridge into the river at 1 a.m. The little boy was 4, the little girl was 7.

People heard the children screaming and went out in boats trying to find them in the darkness. The water is very cold, about 40 degrees, with a rapid flow.

After 30 minutes, finally they found them.

The little boy had drowned, but his sister was hanging on to his floating body, trying to stay alive. Adults who fall into the river here when the water is this cold often do not survive. It is beyond anyone's understanding how the child managed to.

She is recovering in the hospital today. The mother was found on the run and charged with murder and attempted murder.

I am waiting to see whether she was on drugs. Or she may be a borderline. Or a sociopath.

This tragedy begs all of us who know that a parent is a danger to a child--whether because of addiction or mental illness--to not minimize the extreme danger to that child's life. People who stay married "for the sake of the children" to someone who is chemically or mentally insane, really need to wake up and face the reality that they cannot, 24 hours a day, protect their children. And it is utter and extreme selfishness not to have the courage to make the absolute life changes which will protect helpless children.

No matter the cause of the insanity, it is the responsibility of the sane to do what is right.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So so tragic. My children are about that age...so it totally puts that pit in my stomach. I think I'll go give both of mine a hug right now!!!
Old 05-24-2009, 11:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Stories like that just tear my heart in two.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

"The world is a fine place, and worth fighting for." - Hemingway

Stories like this make me question the first part of that quote. Those poor children
Old 05-24-2009, 11:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I read this last night, when it was still "breaking news" and my heart just sunk. It was right above the article about the dad who got 100 years in prison for poisoning the soup he made his 2 kids eat so he could sue Campbell's and that's near where I live.

I agree, Bluejay. It's gotten to the point we need to be very obvservant of adults and kids, these days. It's how abducted kids have been found, and psychopaths have been sent to jail.

It's just sad and sickening, though. My prayers are with the little girl.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-24-2009, 12:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

My prayers go out to all impacted by this tragedy. I just can't comprehend...just can't at all.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

Some people seem to have a serious lack of motherly (or parental, I guess) instinct...
How sad
Old 05-24-2009, 03:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

People try to say this kind of crap always happened it is just that we hear about it more because of the technology advances.... I just cant buy that.... something is numbing and screwing with the wiring or our heads as a race.... I wholly believe that it is drugs, street stuff and prescription.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
learning to live for me

I totally agree that it is the responsiblity of the sane ones to get the h*ll out. Thanks for reminding everyone. SOO SOOO Sad. How will that little girl understand this when she's older?? WOW...
Old 05-25-2009, 12:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'll be honest, I can't even 'take' hearing those kinds of stories.......

I look at my kids, that even at 19,17, and 12, and STILL go into their rooms before I go to bed, (even after tucking them in) and make sure they are breathing ok.... ( like we did when they were babies in a crib).

I don't comprehend, I can't understand. Being a psych major -- I will be more and more exposed to these tragic occurences, because there is so much mental illness out there....

That is one area, that I will just have to muddle through, and deal with the exposure, and KNOW first hand, that I won't be in that field of counseling..... can't do it. I don't know how the prison psychologists handle these people. God bless them, someone has to 'deal' with them.

Those poor children, it just makes me sick. Remindes me of the Susan Smith case years ago....

All I can do is pray...
Old 05-25-2009, 12:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Bluejay, when it happens SO CLOSE to you it can really freak you out even more. Ten years ago a Mom jumped off a bridge with her 3 year old autistic son. I had met her once at a support group for parents of autistic kids. Her son was the same age as mine and we went the same therapy place. In fact I had to drive over that bridge to get to therapy!! Well after that happened, all the moms and therapists got together and we talked about our emotions. One thing that we came up with is to have a plan: "If I ever feel so bad that I think I might hurt my kids, I will drive to the nearest police, fire, or hospital ER with them." Having that in my head, knowing I had a safety plan, was a little anchor for me. Most of the parents I know in the Special kids community are pretty pro-active in seeking out other parents and expressing their feelings. We watch out for each other. This wouldn't hurt parents of typical kids. (My kids are 15 and 17 now, Daughter is in a vocational ed prgram where she got to work bussing tables at Starbucks, then arranging displays at Kohl's dept store. Son is in an academic program, has friends, and is out right now cutting grass with his own weed-whacker!!)
Old 05-25-2009, 02:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

this is so sad. it hurts my heart to hear things like this. prayers for that innocent child.