Notices

Newcomer AGAIN

Old 05-21-2009, 08:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer AGAIN

I used to post on here a bit, and then left and back to the drinking.

As usual, something happened when I was on a binge last weekend where I phoned a friend/co-worker and offended him. I've worked with this fellow for 13 years, and feel like I F73ked up again, due to alcohol.

So now, back to trying to quit. I drank heavily last weekend - which tends to depress me (already on AD) and give me a nasty streak. It wasn't always this way,............................

So, went into work Tuesday (Holiday Monday-stat) lasted 1.5 hours and went home sick. Drank 12 beer through the day to stave off withdrawal, but that just postpones it. So Tuesday night, I slept about 20 minutes, the whole night long. Phoned my boss at 4 a.m. (answering machine at work - so no one was woken) and told him I hadn't slept at all so far that night, and that I was going to take a vacation day wednesday to try and sleep.

I called him at lunch, and advised that I wanted to take vacation time the rest of the week, to resolve some issues with my daughter (true, and he knows this, as we've spoken about it before.) I am divorced......and recently there has been a few issues to deal with. The hardest part is not seeing my kids all the time. My boss used to have a drinking prob, so I'm sure he knows what is going on................but he also knows I'm trying.

Went through tremendous job stress a few years ago, lost my Mom to cancer and my wife left 2 months later.

Not crying the blues though.............I am where I am, and need to find the key to get out of this dungeon.

So Tuesday night.................slept about 20 minutes. Tossed, turned and sweated. Wednesday night (last night) same thing, never slept a wink.

I've had 20 minutes sleep in the past 48+ hours. I decided cold turkey maybe wasn't the way, I battled the withdrawal all day today, and it really wasn't that bad...................I've had much worse. I'm using Valerian to calm my nerves, and loading up on vitamins, drank 4 litres of water.

Anyways, I had luck before "weaning" off it,(and GOD I wanted to sleep!) so broke down and bought 6 beer at 5:50 p.m. I've only had two so far, and will probably have one more so I at least have a shot at sleeping!!

Tomorrow I hope to have 3 beer left, and hope to not touch them, and then hopefully that will be the next shot at sobriety. Wish me luck!!

On a seperate note, I have ordered a book called "The Easy Way to Stop Drinking" You and I know there doesn't seem to BE an easy way, but research this book. People swear they read it and quit the day after. I should have it tomorrow or the next day.

Last edited by Seekingsobriety; 05-21-2009 at 08:23 PM. Reason: added
Old 05-21-2009, 08:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back and good luck to you.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

About the book

This is a post I just read on another forum concerning this book.

I've just spent the morning reading Allen Carr's "The Easy Way to Stop Drinking" and am very inspired by the feeling of freedom it has given me. I can see that I have bought into the illusion that there are any benefits to drinking alcohol. The only one that still lingers for me is the refreshment I think I get on a hot day by drinking a cold beer.

Today, in accordance with the instructions of the book, I will have my "Final Drink." I'm going to make my final drink a cold beer (it is indeed a hot day), although the instructions recommend making it a spirit, something you know is kind of yucky. I hope I'm not messing up my chances of success.

I like the idea of not feeling deprived. Yesterday was my birthday, so today feels like a great milestone day for beginning something that I know will make my life better. I am afraid of putting this down in writing, because I'm afraid of failing and being held accountable. That's why I knew I had to put it down in writing.

Anyone have experience with this? Words of encouragement are more than welcome.

Love,
Angela

From Amazon.com:

Carr offers a startling new view of why we drink and how we can escape the addiction. Step by step, with devastating clarity and simplicity, he applies the Easyway™ method, dispelling all the illusions that surround the subject of drinking and that can make it almost impossible to imagine a life without alcohol. Only when we step away from all these supposed pleasures and understand how we are being duped to believe we are receiving real benefits can we begin to live our lives free from any desire or need for drinking.
The Easyway™ method centers on removing the psychological need to drink—while the drinker is still drinking. Following the Easyway™:
• You will not need willpower
• You will not feel deprived
• You will lose your fear of withdrawal pangs
• You will enjoy social occasions more
• You will be better equipped to handle stress
The Easy Way to Stop Drinking is a landmark work that offers a simple and painless solution to anyone who wants to escape from dependency on alcohol without feeling deprived.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad to see you are taking action on a drinking problem. I haven't heard about that particular book but I do hope it works for you. Please continue to post and let us know how it is going. You will receive a lot of support and encouragement here. The good news is that stopping for good can be done and it is so wonderful to be free of alcohol.

Take care!!
Old 05-22-2009, 06:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Update:

I ended up having all 6 beer last night. The good news?? I slept quite well, waking at 4 a.m. but getting back to sleep, then got up at 7 a.m. Got about 6.5 hours of sleep, which was desperately needed.

Here's my regimen, if you are interested:

5-6000 mg of L-glutamine, taken in 3 seperate doses. Research on rats indicate this helps eliminate cravings.

2 multivitamins per day, seperate occasions.

At least 3000 mg of Vit C, split up through day

B complex, 100 mg - 3 per day, in seperate doses.

Valerian, as needed to calm the nerves. (This by the way, is fantastic for anxiety, nerves, sleep aid, etc.)

Apparently, many alcoholics are deficient in one or more of the B vitamins,
and there is some research that believes it is the B vitamin deficiencies that CAUSE people to drink to excess.

Anyways, the house is devoid of alcohol now, let's see if I can make this
DAY 1 !!

Some of the other things I plan to do are having my kids over more. This is already happening. This holds me in check, and I believe much of my depression and drinking is due to loneliness, boredom, and missing the kids. Also, I went for a walk yesterday and will try and make this a regular item.

Improving diet.

Drinking plenty of water.

I made a "Reasons to quit drinking" list and read it often.

Cutting back on caffeine - have already accomplished this, alot.

I am on vacation again today, then the weekend is here, with my son over. It should be a good time to tackle this problem.

I would also like to recommend to everyone that they should try and get there hands on a book called "5_HTP" by Dr. Micheal Murray. He claims low serotonin is the cause of MANY of our illnesses in todays modern, high paced world. Very factual, lots of studies to back it up. It is NOT recommended that you use 5-HTP if you are also on a prescription AD, because of the chance of Serotonin Syndrome (excess seretonin) However, I am in the process of cutting back my AD, and went from 150 mg of Effexor to 112.5 mg for the last 2 weeks. Tomorrow I start on 75 mg. I have been adding a little 5-HTP, and hope to be off the prescription meds in a month or so. I think a KEY INGREDIENT in getting off these meds is :

1. Quitting drinking - it impairs the body's ability to make seretonin, and acts as a depressant.

2. Exercise - Micheal Murray says this may be the most powerful natural anti-depressant of all.

3. Reducing my use of tobacco, and hopefully eliminating it w/in 2 weeks.

Here is my "REASON'S" list.
REASONS TO ABSTAIN

ALCOHOL CAUSES DEPRESSION!!

Loss of friends and family

Embarrassment of sitting in police car.

Health

Reputation - respect of communiuty.

Better Father

Set a good example for the kids.

Licence loss = job loss.

Loss of income, poor job prospects. Financially DEVESTATING. . Removes hope of early retirement.

Feel way better!! WAY easier to keep a positive outlook on life and enjoy life!! EVERYTHING gets better when sober.

Beat depression...and get off the pills.

Embarassment to your kids.

No stomach problems

Lose weight, improve health.

Can’t control it

Affects ability to do job - not fair to co-workers. (or me!!)

Save money - approx 300 per month!!

More self-esteem

More relaxed, confident.

Avoid embarrassing moments.

NO reasons NOT to!!

Possibility of injuring yourself or others.

DON’T EVER FORGET YOUR #1 PRIORITY IS TO TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF AND YOUR PHYSICAL AND MENTAL HEALTH. Protect these and all your interests, including ability to earn income.

You may have a genetic predisposition to abuse, but that can be avoided by not drinking at all.

LIFE CAN BE SO MUCH BETTER - IT HAS CAUSED YOU MANY, MANY SOCIAL PROBLEMS IN LAST 5 YEARS. MUCH STRESS AND STRIFE.

Feelings of guilt and remorse when drinking, dwell on past. Quitting will allow you to look forward and move forward.

Life seems SO much simpler when sober.

When you are sober, you feel unstoppable. You can DO anything. Stress lessens and small things are just bumps in the road.

No tremors, nausea and “terrible nervous feelings”. Calm, relaxed all the time. Increased ability to deal with life’s curveballs.

How to Do it

Attend meetings
ABSTAIN !!!!

Glutamine

Read reasons why

MAINTAIN REWARD BUCKET (money saved from drinking is set aside for vacation, etc)

Find activities to stay busy, get involved, exercise.

Connect with kids and community

Be sure to acknowledge your successes. Colton’s Birthday party was astonishing.I did excellent!!

Last edited by Seekingsobriety; 05-22-2009 at 07:16 AM. Reason: added
Old 05-22-2009, 04:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I read that book last year, it made a big impact on my views regarding alcohol. Though certainly not a magical cure-all, Carr's approach sure is an eye opener. It was extremely helpful.

Anyway, welcome back Take care, keep posting.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back!

I hope things work for you.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i haven't seen the 'stop drinking' book, but did read Alan carrs 'stop smoking'. it didn't work for me ...still smoking! Does he mention hynoptherapy in the drinking book? he used hypnotherapy to help himself stop smoking but didn't recommend his readers do the same. i don't think there is an 'easy way' to give up any addiction otherwise there'd be many more of us alcohol, drug and/or nicotine free. Some people make a lot of money from pop psychology books that 'promise' 'easy. The 'no pain, no gain' springs to mind. However there are always exceptions to everything. Let us know how you get on with the book ...and if it is easy. ..then i'll go buy it too. I wish you well.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you are planning for a healthier sober future...
best wishes on your journey
Old 05-22-2009, 06:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Sobriety comes from many different sources....

Hi seekingsobriety,

I think this book has been on tv commercials here. I should say first that I sobered up 20 years ago but had tried many different times during a 14 year relapse. By this time I had a part time job...living in a cabin with my 11 year old daughter that had just been diagnosed with Juvenile Diabetes which is insulin depenedent. We were living on my meager income & her child support.

I drank at home & did quit when she was in the hospital learning about her diabetes....I took the week off...no pay...to learn about it with her. I made it three months before I picked up another beer....so that was in May 1988. On the fourth of July I drank myself into a stuper and had been visiting my first husband so laid where I was on the floor because I couldn't stand up.

I did some pretty heavy thinking the next few days as I drank my beer. It was coming down to my bottom when I was finishing up the weekly report for my daughter's doc who we saw every Thursday...I could not remember what I had cooked for her supper the night before....had to look through the garbage to find out...beer cans & all....it was a TV Dinner that she wasn't to have because of all the sugar & salt & other preservatives they had in them.

The next day was a Friday...July 10th, 1988....I went to Mental Health to get an appointment because I thought I was certified crazy in my book. I was told to call if I needed help before the next week....I called that night & was taken to the local hospital...I had a blood alcohol reading of .320 & the Director of the Alcohol Program told me most people wouldn't be able to walk much less talk sensably. The nurse told him over the phone the statistics I came in with & I was given a medical detox so didn't go through withdrawl physcially. Nurses & Aid's came in telling me how wonderful it was that I had made the decision to quit drinking. :ghug

I asked the on call doctor if he would take me for a patient because I hadn't found a doctor yet since I moved back. He said Yes....In fact he helped me & I counted 15 other people in the hospital that six days that gave me so much support.

This doc got to see me get sober, go back to college full time while I worked part time,knew that I went to AA & saw that my daughter was safe when I was away from home many hours...he also saw me get a job at the County Mental Health Clinic & work my way up to be a Geriatric Mental Health Counselor....my dream job. He said he would never forget me as a patient & he doubted he would ever have a client do what I did again.

I was so determined to get sober and stay sober....the whole first year I devoted to my AA meetings, my counseling for Clinical Depression, & also my counseling for my alcoholism + my job cleaning houses for the Elderly & keeping my daughter safe as I could ...would find her unconscious in the middle of the night by my bed once in a while....had to call an ambulance a few times for her but she is 32 years old, married & has a seven year old son.

Now I did buy books too...One was called "Women for Sobriety" & was written by Jean Fitzpatrick who was trying to finish up her Doctorate in college. Her program helped me greatly at the time but as I got older and drank more...like four years of drinking a sick pack of Old English every night or 1/2 a fifth of cheap vodka....I need the tables of AA & a tough sponsor. It worked!

If you want to get it together you have to want Sobriety more than anything else in your life at the time. You have to get yourself esteem and love for yourself first then you can share it with your kids and others in need of help to get sober....giving away what you have is such a wonderful feeling.

Keep up the good work....which ever way you decide to go. You are right that there are many other ways to get sober than AA but AA saved my life.
I also did a lot of research on my depression which had been diagnosed before I ever drank. Serotonin is a chemical involved with the pleasure center in our brain & maybe that is why Effexor XR + Lexapro work so good for me because they do have the other chemicals but do more with Serotonin than anything else.

There always is depression involved but some of us have the type of depression that is always there....I self-medicated with alcohol but didn't know that I was doing that until I sobered up. I often wonder if , with some research, if they could study alcoholics with depression & use Serotonin in some form to treat it.

kelsh
Old 05-22-2009, 11:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies everyone!!

Kelsh said "I often wonder if , with some research, if they could study alcoholics with depression & use Serotonin in some form to treat it."

It is already being done!! The book I mentioned in one of my posts is simply called 5-HTP,
written by Dr Michael Murray. Plenty of studies showing 5-HTP is AT LEAST as effective as SSRI's, MAO's and Tricyclics. And he leaves no doubt it is safer.

I have read recently that the people whom have used synthetic anti-depressants for the last few decades are essentially "guinea pigs" Scientist are unsure about the long term effects and are waiting for any evidence of harm to show up........................in the guinea pigs!! Isn't that comforting!! Evidence so far points towards the possibility they MAY cause cancer, but the aren't sure yet.

BTW Folks, I'm off to bed and guess what??

DAY ONE IS NOW UNDER MY BELT!!!
Old 05-23-2009, 01:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Looks like you have a great plan worked out I look forward to reading about your story/recovery as you work it.

NB
Old 05-23-2009, 01:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
JJB

Hi What you said about serotonin reminded me of a book i read-seven weeks to sobriety by Joan Mathews larson who reckons that nutrition is the only way to fight alcoholism and that "it's not all in the mind"
She too advocates supplements of serotonin-although i found it very difficult to get hold of.
Apparently "the amino acid tryptophan found in large amounts in milk and turkey is the nutrient needed to form serotonin, which controls moods, sleep, sex drive , appetite and pain threshold....replacing serotonin can lift depression and end insomnia....in one study a combination of tryptophan and vitamin B6 could restore patients with anxiety depression to normal in 4 weeks......men produce more serotonin than women....so (women) are more likely to suffer from deprssion and/or eating disorders"
it's an interesting read for anyone trying to tackle alcoholism with diet.

I think diet is important in staying sober but i also find that posting regularly here is also essential. I stopped and relapsed. i'm back with avengeance now!!

Seeking sobriety-keep us posted how you get on.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you guys so much for the replies. I've had 12 hours sleep in the last 4 nights..sweats, etc.........but promised my son to golf today. My children are everything to me, they deserve better and so do I.
We got up at 7am, were on the course at 9:30, walked the 3000 metre course carrying our clubs. Wew then drove his friend home (50 km roundtrip)
and headed to a nearby city to shop (300 KM ROUNDTRIP). This is my second day, and I've cut my tobacco use down by about 1/3 today as well, so it was tiring.
By 5 p.m. I was getting light-headed and shaky, so I wolfed down a chocolate bar and that helped. I didn't eat as muchas I should have during the day. But, it was one of the best daysa of my life. I know I'm worn out, as I'm crying as I write this. When I told him it was my second day w/out drinking and the shortage of sleep, he asked do you have any beer in the house now? I said No bud, there's nothing. He huggeed me and said YAY DADDY! Now if that doesn't encourage you, I don't know what will.

Despite being tired, I must say that already today, DE$SPITE the lack of sleep, I felt stronger through the day. My self-confidence was returning, my self-esteem and my thoughts were clearer.

If my kids had asked me to do a day like this anytime in the last few years, I would have golfed, or shopped, but not both. I would have tried to weasel out of it. But I saw them growing up, and I was throwing all that time with them away..............for booze. Tossing aside my most valued things...........for an enemy that has dragged me to hell over the years.

I am telling all of you, I hope I'm making sense, I'm crying the whole time.

BUT I"M telling you!! YOU all can do this. You just have to move the ****** booze off your priority list. Think about what you are missing and losing in your life, right now, what you have already lost, and what you stand to lose.

Thinks about that. Tomorrow, I don't care how sick I am, or how tired, I am going running and walking. I NEED to. The supplements and the exercise are what are getting me through. Then to see the look on my son's face when he said YAY DADDY!! Well, I almost broke down.

He is still trying to get his mom (my ex) to stop smoking and drinking, with no luck. We both were very far gone, but for me it has to stop. In addition to the quitting booze and snuff, I am going to exercise the living hell out of my body and lose weight. I am a muscular guy, good looking and used to always turn heads on the beach. Now I weigh 211 lbs, and want to get to 180 pounds in 6 months. And I will.

God Bless all of you tonight, and I wish we could meet soemtime.

Stay strong. I'd like you to watch this before you go to bed tonight

YouTube - Keith Urban - You're Not My God

Look the lyrics up if you need to. Country singer Keith Urban hit it big, was rolling in the cash, and then developed severe alcoholism and coke problems. He has beaten them and this is his tribute to people LIKE US. God Bless you.

DAY 2 IS NOW UNDER MY BELT
Old 05-23-2009, 07:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Seek, I applaud your determination and sincerely hope you're successful is quitting drinking. Ive never read the book you referred to, but I'm sure a lot of members of this Society For The Bewilderd have, and I'm sure you'll hear from them. My personal aid to getting sober was AA. You may want to consider going to a few meetings to check it out. In fact, go to saeveral different meeting. Whether or not you join is up to you, but I can attest that it saved my life also.

In reference to your comment of Vitamin B deficiency, the specific deficiency is vitamin B 1, or Thiamin. This is caused by the typically poor diet of an alcohic, but more importantly alcohol itself which inhibits the body from absorbing it. The end result may be the Wiernikie-KarsiKoff Syndrome, commonly known as "wet brain." There's no cure and folks with this disease will end up in a mental institution.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
JJB

Seeking-i listened to the song you posted -it's great, really great!!!
I'm going to listen to it daily as part of my therapy!

Glad to hear you're still going strong . Keep posting!
Old 05-24-2009, 03:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I've felt really tired all day, and really down. I figure this is just due to the lack of sleep, fatigue and body trying to adjust. I know my body is in turmoil and working frantically to adjust. No wonder I can't sleep. Anyways, I take my son back to his Mom's at 7:00 p.m. and it's going to be hard. I plan to take a leisurely bike ride around town, but break a sweat. Spend time outdoors.

As far as the AA meetings, I have attended 6 in town here (POP 2000) and there is only one a week. BUT there are other meetings I can go to within 50 km of here and I may do that this week.

I am fearing the loneliness I will feel when I am home alone again, away from my kids, but know that to give in to alcohol, will put me right back at square one, with the same problems, and it will only be a short term fix. Not only that, but the suffering I've done in Withdrawal the last 4 days will be for nothing.....and I don't want that.

I'm going to assume each day will get better, stick with the plan, and keep posting here..

Today is Day 3 for me, and I consider it already under my belt, because It has to be. I have no choice.

Stay strong everyone, and I'll see you tomorrow.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you're doing great! And, planning ahead and anticipating difficult times, is really helpful. If you feel lonely, you can always hang out here. There's always something inspiring to read and there are people online day and night.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi again Seek, You're right in that as time passes it will get better. The thing to do right now is to take it one day at a time. You're doing great and I like your attitude about alcohol only being a short term fix which would cause another set of problems. And keep in mind as you go along the pain you feel now. As you said, you don't want to go through that again. It's easier to stay sober today than get sober tomorrow.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I only now saw this thread and wanted to throw out my support to you. An observation: you seem to be thinking pretty far down the road i.e. losing a lot of weight in 6 months, etc. I understand that you are excited about being sober, but please try to be kinder to yourself. It almost seems like you are punishing yourself right now by pushing yourself physically and mentally.

Please be kind to yourself. It's a miracle when an alcoholic gets sober - in my opinion. I hope you will let that very fact be enough for today. Rest when you can. Eat something small yet nourishing when you are hungry. Keep your focus on today. That's all we have.
And please - continue to keep us updated on your progress.

I understand the loneliness of being without your kids - I was newly sober and having to be without mine at regular intervals. But, I got through it, and so can you. I used my time to attend meetings and to build friendships with other alcoholics in recovery.

My very best to you.