Difference

Old 05-21-2009, 07:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Difference

What is the difference between recreational drug use, drug abuse, and drug addiction?
Old 05-21-2009, 07:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

We've been talking about this on the Substance Abuse forum. Maybe this will help:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post2234017

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 05-21-2009, 07:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My AS and i talked with his counselor about this a while back. Some people can try drugs (occassional recreational use) or abuse drugs (use too much or regularly) but dont actually become addicted - they can walk away from it and never look back. someone who is addicted either physically or mentally cannot just walk away from the drugs and they will use to the point of loosing everything if they dont work at it. It came up because in my earlier days i partied - so my son cant understand why if i have used drugs that i'm not an addict today and why it doesnt have any affect on me now - she explained that i abused them but i wasnt an addict. but the thing is someone who tries or abuses drugs can become an addict - its just playing with fire.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ahhh winnie,

Just a note, with our sons because of their ages. My son can't understand how he can be an addict when all his friends are doing the same thing. The difference in their use is not the same, his friends are what I would call recreational, they do it on the weekends, where as our sons want the fix everyday, all day. Because of their age I can totally understand that they don't get it, or understand why they are different, then their friends....heck who wants to be different.

Just my thoughts on drug abuse, would be abusing a drug that is not addictive, this could be prescription or non prescription. Example: Taking Phentermine (Not addictive, but can be habit forming) for dieting instead of taking the one pill daily, taking more for the speed effects.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyJoey View Post
Just my thoughts on drug abuse, would be abusing a drug that is not addictive, this could be prescription or non prescription. Example: Taking Phentermine (Not addictive, but can be habit forming) for dieting instead of taking the one pill daily, taking more for the speed effects.
Sure it could. I'll give you an example of alcohol abuse vs. alcoholism, but you could substitute a drug.

My AA sponsor has 27 years sober. His wife was an alcohol abuser. That is, she went through a short period of time where she drank too much (for the effect), but when it became clear to her that was NOT what she wanted, she quit. End of story. No need for a 12 step program, nothing.

Given sufficient reason to stop, whether alcohol or drugs, the 'abuser' of the substance can quit on their own accord.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good question. Is there really an answer?

Addiction is such a mind boggling thing to me. It seems to have so many different aspects, and different for each person.

I partied a lot from 9th grade all the way through high school, and a few years after. I tried and used several drugs. I am sure I thought I was only a recreational user, it was not having an adverse affect on my life, had a job, went to school, had good grades. Even as a recreational user, I guess I still abused drugs, just for the fact that I did them. Don't think I was an addict. I never worried if I had drugs or not, if there were there great, if not, well that was okay too.

I no longer party or do drugs for several years now. I pretty much quit doing any of that when I had kids. Life changed, I had new things to do. I always looked at it as just growing up.

What makes a person an addict then. I did drugs, gave them up no problem. Or maybe I just didn't do the "right" drugs that pull you in and suck the life out of you!
Old 05-21-2009, 12:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When my daughter went to her first rehab, we filled out a form. One of the questions asked of her dad and me was what makes you think that your daughter is an addict. At that time she had not lost everything yet, but I filled in my answer with: She is willing to lose everything in order to use drugs. Later she did lose everything. It was a feeling that I had because of the behaviors. Now my husband drank for years. He only drank gin and tonic and only after 9 at night. But he always had to have his 3 drinks. As the years went on the drinks became stronger and he went to bed many night pie-eyed. It never caused problems with him as far as work or other obligations and I always trusted that when he was ready to quit he would. One day about 2 years ago he stopped liking how drinking daily made him feel and so he just stopped. He has had a couple of beers once in a while but he has never gone back to nightly drinking. His personality did not change and he never tried to hide it. He might have had a problem with the drinking but he is definitely not an alcoholic, knowing what I know about alcoholism. Hope that helps some. Hugs, Marle