Notices

Last week ............

Old 05-20-2009, 03:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Last week ............

As some folk's will know I was away on holiday last week with the family.

We stayed in a caravan on a Holiday Park which had entertainment on every evening.

We had a great time, swimming, walking, seeing the sight's.

I found some of the evenings last week the hardest to stay sober I've had in months though.

There was a show on every evening at 6.30 which my 2 kids loved, the problem for me was though that it seemed all the parents would settle down with either a pitcher of lager or a bottle of wine at their table as their little ones enjoyed the show.

It seemed to me that it just fitted right in to the day somehow, you had a great day out with the kids before settling down and relaxing with a drink.

I'd to remind myself every evening of where I've come from and how I don't want to go back there, I know where it would have ended up if I had given in but it doesn't always make it easy.

I found I purposly kept myself to myself and didn't get involved in chats as I didn't want anyone offering me a beer.

My wife wasn't fussed with any of the entertainment apart from the kids shows so it was only really an hour a day I found hard but .................

We spent most of our evenings walking on the beach, much better than the bar anyway.

Its annoying that this never goes away sometimes though.

It would be nice to just be able to forget you have a drink problem although I guess thats just life ain't it, and if I really forget then I really do have a problem.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done on dealing with it, mate.

They say it gets easier over time and I believe them.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Good job on maintaining your sobriety during your vacation! For me, I have found that it does get easier. I am coming up on 4 years in July and I have to honestly say that I haven't had any real cravings in a very long time. I can't even really remember the last time I did. The drinking and drugging was a lifetime ago. I live in an apt building with 12 units and most of the other tennants drink and with summer coming up, I know what's in store. Every Friday night it begins, the same few people start by firing up a grill behind our building and of course, the cooler full of beer and wine coolers is right there. In time, more people come home or others in the neighborhood find their way over to the madness. I was waiting in the car one time when my Son ran back into the apt to get something I had forgotten and just laughed when I watched everything being carried out. The cooler was the first thing that was brought out. The proud owner of the cooler lives in the first apartment when walking in the back door and has maybe 100' to walk from his lawnchair to his refrigerator . . . I guess that's just too much work. Sometimes these particular neighbors will invite me to come out and sit with them saying that just because I don't drink doesn't mean I can't join in on the "fun." It's not even close to my idea of fun anymore, watching people slobber all over themselves, get loud and obnoxious, falling over each other and of course, every single night ends up when someone gets mad at someone else and a loud, screaming match begins that has ended up in physical fights more times than I care to remember. Doesn't sound like fun to me anymore!

Life has taken on a new meaning for this alcoholic and addict. I don't need alcohol to have a good time.

Judy
Old 05-20-2009, 04:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
As some folk's will know I was away on holiday last week with the family.

It seemed to me that it just fitted right in to the day somehow, you had a great day out with the kids before settling down and relaxing with a drink.

It would be nice to just be able to forget you have a drink problem although I guess thats just life ain't it, and if I really forget then I really do have a problem.
Glad you had a good time on Holiday Fizz. First, "Settling down and relaxing with a drink", did you ever just settle down and relax with A drink? I DON'T THINK SO Second, We romanticize the drink too much, it consumes our every waking hour THAT IS NOT NORMAL I hope I never forget that I have a problem with alcohol, I did forget that once and now I remember the price I paid to remember again.

Hugs to you and I am glad you're back....
Old 05-20-2009, 05:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Glad you had a good time and stayed sober fizzy. The obsession to drink was lifted from me some where about step 5 when I had about 4-5 months sober. I actually found myself leaning against a keg of beer at one of my daughters wedding reception and could have cared less that people were drinking, heck the iced tea I was drinking was pretty good and a beer was the furthest thing from my mind.

Fizzy it gets better with time, it got easier quicker with the steps for me, it has been over 2 years since I even thought about a drink possibly being tempting, drinking means nothing to me today, I honestly enjoy being sober far more then I ever enjoyed drinking and I can honestly say I never thought I would feel that way.

Sobriety for me is the only way to LIVE life!
Old 05-20-2009, 01:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Fizzy...as you know i'll be going on vacation in a few months, and yes i am already a little worried....

I'm guess I'm just glad I am not the only dork who thinks a drink sounds good at first look on occations.

I'll probably pm you for some suggestions before I go....cause i really really don't wanna go back to where the shot of rum will take me

Oh yeah...not a big deal, but i sure am glad you stayed sober (hug)
Old 05-20-2009, 02:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Its not that hard Nands, but you have to keep the guard up.

It caught me unawares, I went on holiday happy that I was a non-drinker, here at home I'm fine in a routine that involves no alcohol.

Suddenly though in different surroundings, I just don't go near bars as a norm now as I've no need to, then I found myself there to watch a show and your brain kicks in.

In general I was fine but ....................................

wouldn't have taken too much persusian to get me drinking a few beers last week.

Anyhows, didn't, and I'm only talking about a small part of the holiday, most of the time I was too busy having fun ........................

or fighting with the kids !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!